Dance radio failed

wilbur

Hi all,

The radio on my 56 reg Roomster has stopped working. The screen is blank, apart from the odd flickering black line and there is no sound.

In 40 years of motoring, this is the first radio to fail so I am a complete novice when it comes to sorting it out. As this Dance radio is a bigger than normal size, how do I go about fitting a standard size replacement into a big hole in the dash?

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Hi,

Adapator's are available to convert the double Din aperature back down to single Din to acomadate standard radio size, available from Skoda.

A quick check on e bay shows a couple of Dance radios for sale, one with 12 month warranty for £60 to £70 pounds.

Tony

• Like 1

Thanks to both of you for the quick replies, I will sort a fascia and radio out. I would rather go with a different radio (once bitten, twice shy).

It looks like it will be a cheap fix as I have had a problem with the car today and I am getting fed up with problems with it. The oil pressure warning light was flashing and beeping and a new sensor was fitted which seemed to cure it. Today, the light flashed again and then come on all the time. Luckily I was just a hundred yards from home when it happened. It is going in to the garage tomorrow but then I think that will be the end of my ownership. If it is not reliable then it is not worth having. It is a great pity because I like the car and it is ideal for carrying the dogs. I will wait and see what my mechanic says.

• 1 month later...

Just an update on the radio.

I finally got round to looking at it. I removed it from the dash and turned it upside down to get a look at the rear connections. I heard a strange noise, it was the CD being ejected. When I turned the radio on, it worked !!!!!!!

Can I call myself a Technician now ?

Just don't ask me what I did as I have no idea. Hopefully this will stop someone needlessly buying another radio.

Hi all,

The radio on my 56 reg Roomster has stopped working. The screen is blank, apart from the odd flickering black line and there is no sound.

In 40 years of motoring, this is the first radio to fail so I am a complete novice when it comes to sorting it out. As this Dance radio is a bigger than normal size, how do I go about fitting a standard size replacement into a big hole in the dash?

Any advice gratefully accepted.

I had this problem two weeks ago my radio was intermitent with just a black line for hours then it would work. I went on holiday for a week left the car with the dealer for the week. They agreed and fitted a new one. wWhen i refitted my ipod kit i found they had revised the radio's design, it only had a single din sized metal box on the back, with the double din dance front on it. Leaves lots of room for extra kit though. £308 does seem a lot for a basic cd player though thankfully it was under warranty i know this doesnt help just thought i would share my experience.

• 1 month later...

I have finally got round to buying a new radio. I have a question to ask and possibly some useful information for anyone else changing their radio.

First of all I bought a Sony CDX-GT26 from Halfords. It was offered at £49.99, reduced from £119.99. The Halfords chap ran my reg. number through the computer and said I also needed the following:

A PC2-75-4 harness adaptor (fair enough).

A PC5-136 aerial adaptor. He said that this particular bit of kit was necessary otherwise I would not be able to pick up many radio stations without it. Is he right and is it necessary? I thought I would just need an adaptor from the coax to the new radio, or just put a new plug on the coax.

I also checked out nexxia.co.uk for the piece to fill in the hole in the dash left by the half a breeze block, sorry, double din Dance radio. The strange thing is they sell 2 units, both identical (they tell you that). One is CT24SK05 at £10.99, the other is FP-20-03 at £14.50.

I would appreciate any comments from members who have changed the radio on a 56 reg (or earlier) Roomie.

Thanks,

Wilbur.

Yes, you need an aerial adapter (to connect the radio to the aerial lead), a double to single din surround/adapter/fascia (to make the single din fit into the double din space) and an iso to quad lead (to connect an aftermarket)

I bought all these for about £10 brand new off ebay, the leads only a couple of quid each.

as i said the fascia panel/adapter is exactly the same as for a mark 5 golf.

edit: have a look at Celsus, they supply car audio products, they'll sort you out.

Edited by fabia55
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info but I now have the radio in and working (not very well at the moment though). i just got the fascia unit from the local Skoda dealer and the 2 adaptors from a local car audio shop. The fascia was £34 and the 2 adaptors £15. I am not really an ebay man plus I could not get enough information from the websites I visited. It is donkeys years since I messed about with a car radio and they were much simpler then.

I am not picking up all the local radio stations and the reception comes and goes. It is probably something I have done and I will have to check it. It is not a big deal as we don't listen to the radio much but tend to stick a disc in.

Thanks to all who helped me.

Just to add that I have installed the radio correctly but still have a problem with a weak signal from the aerial.

This is just another irritating problem that will mean no more Roomsters for me.

Yes I have seen aerial problems documented elsewhere in these forums, and I believe it was down to water ingress around the aerial mounting base.

Accordingly I have made sure mine has extra wax polish around it to keep the water out.

I suppose if I did have aerial problems , I would try and gain entry to underneath the aerial , by prising out the interior light module. Install a new aerial if required , and install an inline connector reusing the existing lead.(perhaps an inline connector exists at this point already?)

I wouldn’t be to keen in running a new lead right down to the radio, that would be to much like hard work.

Hi bob,

I have already asked in another thread about removing the internal light fitting. I had a try but it will not budge and I am worried that I will break something.

I loked at old Hayes manual for a Golf 04 reg, which had a picture, re changing the bulbs.In it I could see 2 philips screw securing the light.

So prise off the diffuser as if changing bulbs(in the Skoda handbook it says pull off with your fingers , but i needed and old flat bladed kitched knife)

You will see two screw securing the light fitting. I had mine off out of curiosity to see if there was any damp, there was none.

You will then clearly see the aeriel locknut.I didn,t go any further but I could feel what seemed to be an inline connecter incased in soundproofing foam.

Again I noticed not much slack in the cable to play around with!

Yes I have seen aerial problems documented elsewhere in these forums, and I believe it was down to water ingress around the aerial mounting base.

Accordingly I have made sure mine has extra wax polish around it to keep the water out.

I suppose if I did have aerial problems , I would try and gain entry to underneath the aerial , by prising out the interior light module. Install a new aerial if required , and install an inline connector reusing the existing lead.(perhaps an inline connector exists at this point already?)

I wouldn’t be to keen in running a new lead right down to the radio, that would be to much like hard work.

Hi Bob,

I believe that you cannot just swop aerials on these Skodas. It is something to do with the Canbus system and the original aerial being supplied with a DC voltage supply. I read on one of my google searches that Skoda will not plug their diagnostics in if the aerial (and the radio) is not original. Whether that is true or not, I do not know.