Fuel Gauge

Some guy in Israel have come up with this, is it correct?

Fuel gauge

Skoda-Fabia-Fuel-Gauge.jpg Skoda Fabia's fuel gauge on dashboard

As we know from manual, full tank is 45 liters and last two is below 7 liters (low fuel turns on with beep). Using that and recordings I made, we have the rules:

- first one is 11 liters

- next big bricks each of 5 liters

- small ones before last two are ~1 liter each

- last two about 3 liters each

• Like 1

Why would you need to know this ?

Fair enough, if you're driving across a desert in Isreal or something like that, but wouldn't you just wait until the fuel light comes on ?

• Like 1

Friends,

I ain't going to worry what the fuel gauge looks like.

Last weekend, I picked up my new 1.2 diesel Fabia Estate Greenline! The dealer kindly filled my tank and gave me a set of floor mats - job done :sun:

Frank.

• 1 month later...

This is the barmiest fuel gauge ever invented. I have never understood it since buying the car. What is simpler than a dial marked off in equal sections? With this tapered marking you have no idea how much is in the tank. Why does the instruction book not explain it? Now the Israeli man has had to work out just what the volume of each 'brick' contains which gives some idea providing you take a copy of his marked picture with you! As many people on these forums have complained, ALL Skoda gauges are erratic, reading full for over 100 miles then plunging downwards suddenly and alarmingly. So the person who relies on waiting for the bleep to tell him when to refill must never have driven off motorways through the night.

A Toyota iQ has a fuel gauge that looks like that, but with 6 blocks.

Owners on the iQ forums bother about the amount of miles you get out of each block,

but really there is no sense to how soon the blocks disappear

The tank is 32 litres (7 gallons) but you can get another 6 litres up the pipe)

The AVG will show 48 - 50 MPG and after maybe 320 miles the last block flashes.

people seem to worry even though you can easily get another 60-80 miles without the chance of running out.

It amazes me that people worry at a small tank when you are getting good MPG.

Surely if you have driven a car for a couple of tankfuls & you zero when filling up you know how far you can go from there.

I was really surprised during the fuel panic that so many people run around with so little fuel in their tanks in cars that maybe only take 10 gallons.

george

It is indeed totally mad. They certainly go quicker near the bottom.

The only logic I can think of is that the areas of each block are proportional to the volume they represent.

I know most fuel gauges are non-linear, but there really is no excuse for it these days.

My MKI vRS and MKII both the same - needle hardly moves for the first 60 to 100 miles - then slowly down to the half-way mark - after that it plummets! I've done 230 miles and just a couple of notches short of the half-way mark - another 100 miles and the fuel light will probably come on.