Charcoal Canister Delete mod

Hi folks,

This is the last emisions clean up mod i did today.

To remove the Charcoal Canister

So far I have done the following also in order or listing:

Remove SAI, N249, N112 (sorry links in this one still broken) hoping to fix soon

http://www.briskoda....d-n112-removal/

OCC DIY Install

http://www.briskoda....-guide-install/

Evap, Vac hard lines, Breather simplification

http://www.briskoda....simplification/

As part of the breather clean up I had already simplified the piping to the Inlet Manifold and remove hardline and "T" piece.

So this makes it easier to now completely remove the Pipping from canister to Inlet manifold.

Charcoalcanisterdelete.jpg

Charcoalcanisterdelete4.jpg

Piping removed

Charcoalcanisterdelete5.jpg

Charcoalcanisterdelete7.jpg

Now you can unplug the wiring connector and the pipe that come from the tank (taking fumes into canister)

Charcoalcanisterdelete9.jpg

Charcoalcanisterdelete8.jpg

With those items removed undo the 2 x 10mm bolts holding canister onto inner wing

removed canister

Charcoalcanisterdelete10.jpg

Now we can focus on stopping the cell light coming on due to canister removed

Use a 330ohm resister as used on SAI removal.

Charcoalcanisterdelete24.jpg

insert each end into the wiring connector and tape up to stop water ingres into connector

Charcoalcanisterdelete23.jpg

Charcoalcanisterdelete22.jpg

I held mine out the way under strut brace(will route better later on)

Charcoalcanisterdelete16.jpg

Now you need to reuse the fume return pipe connector. This can not be block and should be routed down under the wing where there is a hole already(this will stop fumes coming into engine bay and inside cabin)

Remove the clip pipe

Charcoalcanisterdelete13.jpg

Attach a hose section onto it long enough to route down inner wing

Charcoalcanisterdelete19.jpg

Can see 2 holes I used the ower hole as the upper one has a rubber cap still in it.

Charcoalcanisterdelete25.jpg

finnished

Charcoalcanisterdelete17.jpg

Not a difficult job really and car seems to tick over better (maybe less air leaks)

Bowders, where do you get your resistors from?

The shed...... :giggle:

sorry could not resist or resistor. Oh stop it Mark.. :rofl:

Got them from RS components online. Got loads of them will dig out rs code for you later

• Like 1

The shed...... :giggle:

sorry coould not resist or resistor. Oh stop it Mark.. :rofl:

Got them from RS components online. Got loads of them will dig out rs code for you later

Just been on there. I can't buy from them unless I have a credit card. Bad times.

where does that pipe coem from? is it out of the tank?

wont removing this let the fuel evaporate?

isnt that the use of this? to save up the evaporated fuel and put back into engine to use as much of the fuel as pos?

Looks good tho mark mate, even when your layed up you just cant leave alone lol

I know lol Billy, can't drive it yet as still can't bend knee but can still mess with it... :rofl:

Yes the pipe comes from tank, and no will not let fuel evaporate, it is there to control emision by feeding vapour back into engine and not to atmosphere in which US state it is needed.

Yes as you pointed out feed back to engine but not fuel just vapour.

I dare say they maybe minute evap going on but it you are worried about that level then you really need to drive your Furby VRS and leave Octy on the driveway for good... :giggle:

lol, na mate, the octy will just be a toy so wont be driving her for eco reasons again.

just had her running again today to move into front of the house so I could wash 0A's(SWMBO) hyundai Coupe lol. What a sound, cant wait to get her back on the road and the middle silencer off. Just stood at back listening to her running. OMG

I am not sure what to do yet as the tick doesnt bother me, I am still thinking wheather to remove the SAI or not. cant decide.

Dont go agrivating the knee lol, need it sorted to get driving again asap!

do you get the smell of petrol at all?

when i took mine out the golf when i fitted bike carbs the smell was unreal without the canister

do you get the smell of petrol at all?

when i took mine out the golf when i fitted bike carbs the smell was unreal without the canister

Not that I have yet noticed buddy. Allthough not driven much to be honest.

keep an eye on that dude, i am gonna put mine back, as when the car was in the garage, and i had the tank venting atmospherically it really really stank.

I have it plugged at the mo, but am gonna put the canister back in just simplified and allow the system to breath from that instead.

imo what you need to do is remove all the pipe work from the front to the tank then run a new pipe from tank to rear axle area with a one way breather valve connected

this will stop smell due to it exiting the rear and will also keep the head pressure wich it needs and also if you have an accident and roll the car it will stop fuel ****ing every where but as it is now if you roll it fuel will leak straigh into the bay !!!!!

have a look on demon tweeks they do a tank breather for £40 strap that in the rear axle area and jobs a goodun and means no pipes int he bay

keep an eye on that dude, i am gonna put mine back, as when the car was in the garage, and i had the tank venting atmospherically it really really stank.

I have it plugged at the mo, but am gonna put the canister back in just simplified and allow the system to breath from that instead.

Actually drove it today and no fumes whatsoever

I will probably fit a one way valve to it and leave it where it is under inner wing between arch liner

imo what you need to do is remove all the pipe work from the front to the tank then run a new pipe from tank to rear axle area with a one way breather valve connected

this will stop smell due to it exiting the rear and will also keep the head pressure wich it needs and also if you have an accident and roll the car it will stop fuel ****ing every where but as it is now if you roll it fuel will leak straigh into the bay !!!!!

have a look on demon tweeks they do a tank breather for £40 strap that in the rear axle area and jobs a goodun and means no pipes int he bay

To be honest Clive if I roill car I have a lot more to worry about than petrol leaking out. As stated it is not in Engine bay now but sealed in inner wing between arch liner

Even the Charcoal canister has a breather at the bottom that drop through the arch so if i roll that canister will probably leak anyway

Will take a look at the demon tweak one though

Isn't venting petrol fumes into the wheel arch near hot brakes a little dangerous

The Charcoal Canister vents to arch already to a certain extent. The pipe is not hanging near the brakes, and is covered by the arch liner.

it is there to control emision by feeding vapour back into engine and not to atmosphere in which US state it is needed.

I dare say they maybe minute evap going on but it you are worried about that level then you really need to drive your Furby VRS and leave Octy on the driveway for good... :giggle:

When I bought my Octy vRS back in 2003 (the first Skoda i'd ever owned), I could'nt understand why my local Skoda dealer was so anti briskoda.....but oh boy , I do now.

This latest idiotic briskoda mod (one thats even deamed good enough to be copied to the tech section lol) is IMO enough to cause any reasonable and responsible person to feel ashamed to be connected with this site.

I dont always agree with what our special friends in the US do but when it came to passing legislation to try and reduce vehicle hydocarbon emissions back in the 70's they were right, but in any case the EU has since seen sense and legislated to reduce vehicle HC emissions.

Hydrocarbons are toxins......they react with nitrogen oxides and cause smog in built up areas such as cities etc, prolonged exposure to hydrocarbons can cause cancer, liver disease, lung disease and asthma.

For info: on a hot day the evaporative loss from a petrol tank is in fact the No 1 contributor to a vehicles total hydrocarbon emissions.

Bill.

• 6 years later...