16" Alloys Confirmed!

Runswick Stag

Due to the very high residuals on 4X4 Yetis at the moment, we decided to change our current 1 year old 140 SE, but for an SE with the 16" alloy wheels, a `phone call to Skoda customer services resulted in a flat "no" but with the help of `the plumber` I went to the top and today they phoned back and said yes, no problem, we will intercept the order put in by the dealer on Monday,and change to two digits for the wheel option. So, job done, being a bit cheeky, I asked if there would be a price reduction....... still waiting on that one!

Reading between the lines, I wouldn`t be surprised if Skoda UK started offering this option from model year 13 which starts around June/July time, we will see! This is a first for my dealer ( D M Keith ) "never thought it possible" !

Grateful thanks to Robert Hazelwood and Mark Cox for organising the same wheel swap for us - confirmed today, although the order isn't going in until next week. Having spent two or three hours today driving round our lanes in a demo Yeti with 17" wheels (very firm ride!) we are looking forward to this little bit of extra comfort for our aged bones. Again, a first for Tricia at Hughes, Aylesbury.

Due to the very high residuals on 4X4 Yetis at the moment, we decided to change our current 1 year old 140 SE, but for an SE with the 16" alloy wheels, a `phone call to Skoda customer services resulted in a flat "no" but with the help of `the plumber` I went to the top and today they phoned back and said yes, no problem, we will intercept the order put in by the dealer on Monday,and change to two digits for the wheel option. So, job done, being a bit cheeky, I asked if there would be a price reduction....... still waiting on that one!

Reading between the lines, I wouldn`t be surprised if Skoda UK started offering this option from model year 13 which starts around June/July time, we will see! This is a first for my dealer ( D M Keith ) "never thought it possible" !

I wonder if you could tell me, which wheel well they be changing you to, tyre size and how long did it take to get confirmation? I spoke with Will on Monday to request my social requirement to comrade wheel sizes and have heard nothing yet. Did you speak with Mr Hazelwood

Hi, didnt speak with Mr Hazlewood but initially e-mailed him which was then passed to his PA, but got a call today from a chap in customer services ( cant remember his name) who is liasing with the dealer. It has only taken a week from initial contact to getting the `nod`. I have a choice of either Moon Alloys or the newer Nevis design with 215/60/16 tyres.

I tested 2 Yeti's before I bought and came to the same conclusion about hard ride. I have moon alloys with 205/55/16 Continental low resistance tyres on my Greenline, they make a very comfortable ride.

I was told on Monday that I should hear towards the end of the week. I do hope that it gets agreement.

tech yeti, were the two yeti's that you tried before on 17" wheels

First one was, can't remember model, but as soon as I tried the Greenline the difference was very noticeable. The one big difference was the Greenline keeps rolling when you take your foot off the throttle, so I have learnt to throttle back much earlier.

Welcome to the 'Special Build' club'. I picked up my Yeti fitted with 16" Moon Alloys and 215/60/R16 tyres yesterday. S(UK) seem happy to satisfy their customers demands providing you show the persistence necessary to get through the initial "No's"!

How many of us in this club now?

TP, me, Runswick Stag, brijo, Tech-Yeti ---- anyone else???

Hello all, it's my first post/reply, been waiting for ages to have full access to the forum (My E-Mail was mistaken for spam), thanks to the moderator for sorting the problem today, at last here I am :hi:

Ordered a 1.2 Elegance at the start of Feb, since then have found this forum and decided I would like 16" wheels! The main reasons being cost of tyres, bad roads and ease of cleaning. Like others I tried the dealer and SUK with no joy, I have since E-mailed the big cheese to see if there is anything he can do.

I wish I'd realised it was possible earlier, I fear it's something that should have been sorted nearer order time. Build is scheduled for mid may so maybe changes are still possible?

To add another point to the whole 16" vs 17" debate, does the kerb weight of the vehicle not have an effect on cornering? There is a reasonable difference between a 1.2 TSI and a 2.0 CR 170 (195kg or 2.5 persons), yet in Elegance spec they have the same 17" wheels. My basic understanding is that the more weight you are carrying then the more the tyres will squash when pushing round a corner, In this respect would it be fair to say there is more need for the larger/wider wheel on the heavier car but perhaps it's a bit of overkill for the 1.2?

Anyway it's all interesting stuff but useless pondering if I don't get my wheel swap :sweat:

Hi there!

If your build date is May, there still may be chance as I was told that any changes, colour, trim etc could be done about 5 weeks before build, if not, you may get your dealer to swap the wheels from an `S` model upon arrival at the dealership. my dealer said this was `do able` if I had no joy at the factory.My reason for wanting the 16`s were for several reasons, ride comfort, aesthetics, price of tyres, choice of tyre particularly with all terrain tyres, there seems to be a trend these days for skinny tyres with minimal sidewall to enable to get round corners quickly, my view is that the Yeti is not that type of vehicle, have the 17 or even an18inch wheel as an option, but put the Yeti on a tyre more suited to it`s intended use!

I agree, my main reason is an extra £200 for a new set of boots over the 16" wheel is hard to swallow! I like the look of the moon alloys, easy to clean five spokes appeal also. Fingers crossed......

Are there any members of (or candidates for) Expatman's 'Special Build Club' who are currently running a 140TDI 4x4 with OEM 16" wheels? It has occured to me that the 2000kg braked trailer rating might conceivably be prejudiced by the non-standard wheels (though I can't for the life of me think why). That would be a killer, due to the weight of our caravan. I'm going to have this sorted officially before I sign on the dotted line but, in the meantime, any helpful personal experience out there, please?

The towing weight is not affected by the wheel and tyre size, so no need to be concerned on that front. In Europe they run all engine sizes including the 170 on 215/60 tyres as standard; in CZ for example the 17" is only an option, even on the top spec.

Hope of help,

TP

Welcome to the 'Special Build' club'. I picked up my Yeti fitted with 16" Moon Alloys and 215/60/R16 tyres yesterday. S(UK) seem happy to satisfy their customers demands providing you show the persistence necessary to get through the initial "No's"!

How many of us in this club now?

TP, me, Runswick Stag, brijo, Tech-Yeti ---- anyone else???

The "club" is only special in the UK. I have 16" alloys ordered as a no cost option from day one in the EU. You can see details below.

I don't know what SUK are thinking, as it has been a standard optional feature elsewhere - always.

Skoda UK seem to make up their own rules. I think it's a bit like the process that call centres use. There is a script that they stick to religiously, that way they can employ people with no product knowledge which costs a lot less. Any variation completely throws them so they do their best (worst?) to avoid them. "No" is a lot cheaper. :wall:

Fred

Are the 16" 60 wheels the same total diameter as the 17" 50's? I know the tyre depth figure is something to do with ratio?

No, one wheel is 16" the other 17". :giggle:

However once the different aspect ratio tyres are fitted they are as-near-as-damnit the same

Are the 16" 60 wheels the same total diameter as the 17" 50's? I know the tyre depth figure is something to do with ratio?

Here is a useful link for checking the rolling radius of different wheel and tyre combinations.

Now, that is interesting! Thanks for posting. It shows the 215/60/16 as slightly bigger circumference than the 225/50/17, to the tune of 0.7mph faster at (indicated) 60 - well within acceptable statistical deviation, I think.

Edited by brijo