Inner edge tyre wear warning

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd report back after a couple of weeks of driving of the new setup. I'm still loving the relative silence of new tyres and geometry. I have noticed that the car seems to roll more now which gives it quite a different feel when cornering. I guess that this was to be expected with my previous setup though, I think it's just a case of getting used to it. I'll try and upload the details later.

I've just written to Skoda UK customer services attempting to reclaim the costs of the geometry check, wish me luck. With my past experiences, I'll need all the luck I can get.

I have a feeling that I have quite a bit of noise/road noise from the rear at various speeds so am thinking that I might need my setup checking. Mind you it could just be my hearing but I'd rather have it checked than worry about it.

Can anyone recommend anywhere in Reading for 4 wheel laser adjustment / geometry checking?

Thanks

I have a feeling that I have quite a bit of noise/road noise from the rear at various speeds so am thinking that I might need my setup checking. Mind you it could just be my hearing but I'd rather have it checked than worry about it.

Can anyone recommend anywhere in Reading for 4 wheel laser adjustment / geometry checking?

Thanks

Any tyre fitter? They all do 4 wheel alignment/tracking.

After reading all the reviews of ABC car services ltd on here i shall be ringing them next week to arrange for my octy to have a 4 wheel alignment check (hopefully whilst i wait as its a bit of a drive for me)as mine is wearing the fronts on the inner edge & my o/s/r was wearing on the inside edge. Id much rather travel to somebody who knows what their doing & wants to do a good job rather than getting the local tyre monkeys to work on my car.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my 4 wheel alignment checked/adjusted today by the guys at ABC & as suspected my alignment was miles out,It was a 70 mile round trip for me today to get this done but im glad i did,guys were very professional,friendly,had the best alignment equipment & knew how to use it correctly to set up my car,if you live near leeds this is the place to go for any alignment issues. :thumbup:

I had my 4 wheel alignment checked/adjusted today by the guys at ABC & as suspected my alignment was miles out,It was a 70 mile round trip for me today to get this done but im glad i did,guys were very professional,friendly,had the best alignment equipment & knew how to use it correctly to set up my car,if you live near leeds this is the place to go for any alignment issues. :thumbup:

Glad to hear about your positive expierience. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted Skoda UK CS about reclaiming the cost of the alignment check/adjustment, and after two weeks with no reply they got in touch last week. They had to verify the values used with a technician, which they have done, and they are refunding me the cost via my local dealer. Quite a positive result, it's a shame this didn't happen for my four buckled Limited Edition alloys though.

Good to hear you got something out of S-UK CS. Tbh I'm surprised you did - I would have expected them to say that you're responsible for the alignment on your own vehicle once its left the showroom.

Been in touch with Skoda UK customer services today re saw tooth tyre wear VRS.

I have been informed that Dunlop & Bridgestone tyres are the problem. Dunlop & Bridgestone do not want any responsibility for the fault.

My car has less than 11,000 miles on it and I'm waiting for a decision on whether I will have to foot the bill for replacement rear tyres. Alignment being done free of charge as minor adjust can rectify the current fault. Michelin pilot sport 3 are the babies you want!!! Skoda so far have been very helpful. Watch this space!!!!

I had the factory Dunlops on the back of mine too, although the alignment was quite out too.

I have Pilot Sport 3s all round now though. Which reminds me, I need to chase my Black Circles cashback via Quidco.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Another sufferer here. I've had a few tyres now that have caught me by surprise like this. My local independant garage didn't seem to know anything about getting tracking checked last time they found this, only saying that they were very susceptible to pressures.

I've put a couple of pictures up of how they've finished up, but one interesting thing is at the point where the wear is worst, the tyre bead seems to have been pulled in, and the tyre is distorted. The wheel doesn't seem to be out of shape though.

I am definitely going to get the alignment sorted now, so any recommendations for someone in the Reading area would be gratefully received.

post-81141-0-04166500-1338828389_thumb.jpg

post-81141-0-27689400-1338828400_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Guys - thought i'd add my experience of my Mk 6 Golf (with factory sports suspension and 17" wheels) as its a similar platform.

Original Bridgestone RE050 (225/45/17) lasted 17k miles on the front, swapped them for Falken ZE912s which did 16k miles on the front and now a further 3.5k on the rear. The original RE050 on the rear started to give a faint drumming noise after 15k miles, and slight saw tooth profile to the tread blocks. Geometry checked by VW and found to be OK (they adjusted the front very slightly, but the rear wasn't far off the middle of the tolerance range). After 29k miles the rears (with ever increasing drumming noise as the sawtooth got worse) were moved to the front to finish them off - the noise was HORRENDOUS, 10 times worse than when on the rear axle, but i suffered them until last week when they were replaced with some Pirelli P7 on the front axle.

The Falkens have been on the rear axle for 3.5k miles and already they show the same sawtooth as the Bridgestones did (so not limited to Dunlop and Bridgestones). These tyres will be replaced with another pair of P7s in the next week or so, but its clear the geometry settings are not right for even tyre wear. I check pressures at least weekly with a very good quality pressure gauge, not the usual Halfords rubbish.

I believe Skoda amended the rear geometry spec for the Octavia - anyone know what the old and new settings are ??

PS - i also run a 195/65/15 winter wheel set and after 2 winters and 16-17k miles on the Golf these show no signs of sawtooth or any adverse noise - perhaps the more rounded tyre profile, narrower tread helps. This would seem to hold some credence since it appears to be only golf owners with 17 and 18" wheels that are seeing the sawtooth, standard 205/55/16 shod Golfs seem to be fine.

Been in touch with Skoda UK customer services today re saw tooth tyre wear VRS.

I have been informed that Dunlop & Bridgestone tyres are the problem. Dunlop & Bridgestone do not want any responsibility for the fault.

My car has less than 11,000 miles on it and I'm waiting for a decision on whether I will have to foot the bill for replacement rear tyres. Alignment being done free of charge as minor adjust can rectify the current fault. Michelin pilot sport 3 are the babies you want!!! Skoda so far have been very helpful. Watch this space!!!!

What utter nonsense. Mine ate both Dunlops and a set of PS3's due to this. Ask the guys who work in the dealerships and even they say it's the alignment and VAG had to release updated rear camber settings to sort it. That kind of attitude annoys me as you're the customer they're lying to and tyres are not cheap enough to send you round the houses over. Grrrr.....

Edited by Chrispy
  • Like 1

And Dunlop and Bridgestone obviously make special dodgy tyres just for Octavias , Golf and Passats whereas the same tyres on other makes n models are made differently and therefore don't create sawtooth and inner edge wear.

• Like 1

Surprised they did not go bang wigster . To all some cars are to within the tolerances, but if one wheel is pointing one way and the other, the other then you have problems , I have seen a mates brand new FL like this, not out by a mile, but he could not believe how sharper turn in is now

What utter nonsense.

It is, but you'd not notice it so much with the Michelin as they use a harder compound so they tyre can do more miles than other's, they are just avoiding the problem. .

Driving back from Northumberland to West Yorkshire and about 20 miles from home the tyre pressure warning came on. I didn't think too much of it as I couldn't hear anything untoward.

I think you were bloody lucky you didn't cause a accident! Surely you've seen how quickly a tyre can disintigrate on F1? At speed this can be a lethal accident!

Next time, FFS stop and check, IF they look ok, drive slowly and carefully to the closest garage and check your tyre pressures!

Any tyre fitter? They all do 4 wheel alignment/tracking.

Lots do alignment and some of them do it well. I would recommend a jaunt over to Chesham to Wheels in Motion. Get a price by phone before you go.