Dual Mass Flywheel symptoms Dealer Warranty?

Hi All,

I bought a skoda octavia 2.0pdi 140 estate(47000miles),From a skoda Dealer(12 month warranty), it has now been giving the sympoms of Dual Mass Flywheel problems (vibration going uphills/cruising 65+this disappears if you put your foot on the clutch,noisey rattle when starting up/turning off engine,hesitation when coming off light throttle in traffic worse in 3rd gear,very little clutch control or bite point)

Booked the car in with them today they need to keep it until wednesday evening, thought it may be interesting to see how they do reguards warranty and diagnostics.

Any thoughts on this?

Lee

I had mine replaced under warranty last aug... it's started to show symptoms again..(juddery when cold) now car is out of 3yr warranty!! Grr.. had it serviced at skoda so won't be happy if it needs replacing again

Hopefully they will diagnose it and do it under warranty they said the need the car until wenessday night does this seem a long time? no phone call to today to say any different.hope i dont get a big bill wednesday. looking farward to it driving smoothly as its always been a little rough since i have had it.

Why do you think its not lasted very long??

Lee

• Like 1

Still waiting a year and a half later to get my dmf replaced...on a petrol! passing the buck and doing everything apart from replacing it including clutch release bearings, needles and bearings in the gearbox(which has now made gear changes notchy) wish they would just admit defeat and replace the sodding thing.

Mine went in 3 times before they'd change it.. I was fuming.. knew damn well what it was.. left it with em 2 days so they could see symptoms when car is cold

58 plate Race Blue Octi VRS CR 170

Good luck with this one, be interested to know how it goes.

I have similar situation with My 1.9 Tdi - although possibly not yet quite so severe.

I believe manufacturers have made a major mistake in adopting this unproven unreliable technology.

This was further compounded by a long period of denial.

They now have no escape route which avoids admitting their mistake and liability.

This is why they continue to stick to the DMFs, problem? what problem? line.

This is pretty serious - remember catostrophic DMF failure has safety as well as financial implications.

Come on manufacturers - come clean - admit you got it wrong - do the decent thing for once - recall all these unfit for purpose cars - fit SMFs or DMFs that are reliable.

Right now as far as waranties go clutches are generally consumables, so far flywheels are not. Watch out for the car companies sneaking the flywheel into the consumable category. That would totally solve the problem for them.

They should replace it under warranty for sure.

Had mine done under warranty at 35K and they converted it to SMF as that is what SUK told them to do.Apparently all DMF problems from now on will be converted to SMF (well 1.9tdi anyway).That was there (SUK) words to my Skoda dealer.

Good luck with your car wednesday :thumbup:

Thanks for all your replies not sure if im feeling more confident about it getting done or not,

I dont think that a smf is available for the 2.0 litre yeat (hope so?) that would cure the problem.

I was thinking about a remap done by shark after this was done but if like vrs_rob says the vrs 170 chews them up i might be better leaving it??

Lee

I dont think that a smf is available for the 2.0 litre yeat (hope so?) that would cure the problem.

Valeo have begun producing an SMF kit for the 2.0 PD in the last couple of months. I don't know if Skoda main dealers have started fitting them yet though.

Valeo have begun producing an SMF kit for the 2.0 PD in the last couple of months. I don't know if Skoda main dealers have started fitting them yet though.

Thats interesting i wonder should i ring the dealer and mention this? do you think they would source one in or only fit genuine parts?

Please tell me how you get on with this! My DMF has been giving off the tell tale signs of the spring breaking and my dealership have even admitted it the DMF but will not replace it under warranty untill it is 'within tolerances' basically its not broken enough yet? :@

Please tell me how you get on with this! My DMF has been giving off the tell tale signs of the spring breaking and my dealership have even admitted it the DMF but will not replace it under warranty untill it is 'within tolerances' basically its not broken enough yet? :@

My stance on this is that if it is effecting the drivabilty of the car like mine is and it is diagnosed as dmf causing it it should be replaced so it cures the drivabilty problem. it does not matter about "how broken it is". if your clutch starts to slip it would not be left until it either exploded or lost all drive!!!

My stance on this is that if it is effecting the drivabilty of the car like mine is and it is diagnosed as dmf causing it it should be replaced so it cures the drivabilty problem. it does not matter about "how broken it is". if your clutch starts to slip it would not be left until it either exploded or lost all drive!!!

The clutch is not slipping as of yet, the DMF can be clearly heard on start up (rattling) anda judder can be felt at low revs. The only thing is, i have my car remapped, although i did have and report the problem to Skoda (and told Skoda UK) well before i got the remap, will i need to take the remap off before i take the car back to Skoda to get them to have another look at it?

will i need to take the remap off before i take the car back to Skoda to get them to have another look at it?

Not sure if will will know, unless they drive it!!!!!!!!!???? prob safer to have it removed when it comes time to have it done, any excuse for them not to do the dmf under warranty

Lightcliffe skoda warrington have just rung and said they cant find a fault with my car, have told them again the problem and they are going to take it out on a test drive again. when i asked what they had tested they said they have driven it????!!!!

Here we go

Lee

They said that to me first time they had mine.. i took it back again a month later and left it with them and got them to look at it when it was stone cold. I think the problem could be with DMF issue's they're a tad intermittent.. so it needs to be playing up when they're at the dealer as they're reluctant to 'go in' and have a look so to speak.

They should replace it under warranty for sure.

Had mine done under warranty at 35K and they converted it to SMF as that is what SUK told them to do.Apparently all DMF problems from now on will be converted to SMF (well 1.9tdi anyway).That was there (SUK) words to my Skoda dealer.

Good luck with your car wednesday :thumbup:

That sounds encouraging.

I still think getting it done under waranty may be difficult for me as although my car exhibits what I am learning is the early stages (I am new to diesel and DMF) of DMF failure, with slight adaptions to driving style, it is still drivable. My only previous experience with a main dealer waranty is that things need to be very bad before they are able to detect a problem. I have contacted dealer and the salesman had no knowlege of DMF problems with the 1.9 Tdi. They are however going to investigate - so fingers crossed.

I honestly never taught the vrs gave DMF trouble as u never hear many vrs drivers on about it,

I was sure I was told the vrs diesel came with a better upgraded flywheel to cope with the power.

A dealer who has never heard of DMF problems?

Some outfit they are. I just took mine into the dealer and told them I have a judder. The mechanic drove and I sat passenger. As soon as he pulled out he felt it straight away even when it was hot then felt the engine shake. That was enough for the claim and conversion. I had no noises or breaking up,it just juddered and shook the engine especially on idle.

• Like 1

I honestly never taught the vrs gave DMF trouble as u never hear many vrs drivers on about it,

I was sure I was told the vrs diesel came with a better upgraded flywheel to cope with the power.

The 170 bhp vRS diesel actually uses the same clutch and flywheel as the 140 bhp Octy diesels so its surprising it doesn't give more trouble really!

Well still no news on the car dealer has had it for 2 days now 1 phone call yesterday to say cant find fault, told them to test it properly,they said they would ring me back, nothing so far. the saga continues.......................................