Company car

TimmyWimmyWoo

Hi everyone - I'm new here! I'm Tim and I think I'd like a Yeti.

I've just landed a nice new job that lets me choose any Skoda as a company car. I live in London and haven't had a car before - I've never needed one and I've been a fairly committed biker for three years. I'll be doing fairly huge mileage - about 130 miles a day.

I'm fairly keen to get a Yeti because I want something that'll be fun and practical (well, compared to a Triumph Speed Triple most things are practical…), and I remember Evo magazine saying how fun Yetis are in the handling department.

Naturally, given that my company car budget will let me have pretty much any Skoda, I'm looking at the 170ps diesel 4x4. Is it true that it gives better mpg than the 140ps version?

I'm basically balancing my need to get fairly decent mpg with the allowance letting me have the top-of-the-range models. Would you be happy trundling along in a Greenline when you could have the 170ps diesel?

I know it's the vaguest of questions, but I'm just considering the fact that I will hopefully work out a route to work that takes in some nice back roads - I'd like to be able to overtake without a 2 mile run up!

What would you get?

Just a bit of a pointer Tim.

As this is a company car these will be taxable (known as Benefit In Kind). The lower the BiK tax is the less you pay, hence why a lot of company car drivers (using Skodas) are driving the Greenline range as it is 1) fuel efficient and 2) due to the CO2 emmissions being low the BiK tax is greatly reduced.

E.G. Yeti 1.6 Greenline II - BiK 13%

Yeti 2.0 TDI 140 - BiK 24%

Yeti 2.0 TDI 170 - BiK 24%

I am not too brushed up on the exact workings but I think you would pay 13% or 24% (tax) respectively.

Thanks for your help! The new workplace has told me that as they change cars so frequently they have a dealing with the tax office which ensures we only pay a flat rate for company car tax… so it's not a concern at the moment. I presume it's legal, it's quite a large employer!

I went for the Greenline, because our company is trying to reduce it's CO2 emmissions as a fleet (only allowing Diesel under 160gCO2 and limited manufacturers) and are offering better rates on "Green" cars and with the increased MPG I make a bit of extra cash.

Currently the greenline is averaging 12.6 ppm whereas I get paid 15 ppm. so 2.4 ppm profit and as i do 20k miles a year. so I should earn £558.00 per year or £2112.00 over the 4 year lease.

My previous Mondeo was costing me 16ppm so I was loosing out to the tune of £200 a year.

Don't worry about 2 mile run ups to overtake. Compared to a Speed any 4 wheeler short of supercar performance will feel slow but even my 140 makes a brisk point to point journey a pleasure and the 170 is quicker. I'm quicker on my Street Triple but happy in the Yeti.

Hi and welcome,

The 170 is defiantly the way to go if you like a bit of briskness to your journey on occasion. Only driven this tune of engine in the Superb II and it can certainly hustle you along.

I'm running around in a 110 4x4 which is supposedly the slowest engine option. However I'm more than happy with it's performance and to be quite honest there's very little between the 110 and 140 I had previously; mind the engines are physically identical.

TP

Just a bit of a pointer Tim.

As this is a company car these will be taxable (known as Benefit In Kind). The lower the BiK tax is the less you pay, hence why a lot of company car drivers (using Skodas) are driving the Greenline range as it is 1) fuel efficient and 2) due to the CO2 emmissions being low the BiK tax is greatly reduced.

E.G. Yeti 1.6 Greenline II - BiK 13%

Yeti 2.0 TDI 140 - BiK 24%

Yeti 2.0 TDI 170 - BiK 24%

I am not too brushed up on the exact workings but I think you would pay 13% or 24% (tax) respectively.

The BiK rates change with the new tax year - the greenline will be 17% I believe

Edited by Dr Zoidberg

The BiK rates change with the new tax year - the greenline will be 17% I believe

Going up, seems a tad strange as the government want us to all use greener cars?!

I was only quoting book BiK, I just can't understand why they would then put this up, THIEVES :swear:

Back on topic..... as mentioned if you have a flat rate tax and want some extra oomph the 170 is a machine.

Thanks for your help everyone! I'm hoping I'll be allowed to tick all the boxes on the spec sheet! Is there anything worth leaving off?

I'm hoping as a first car it should be quite pleasant and entertaining, with good visibility for my first parallel parking efforts :think:

sunroof - they can leak. Mine is away being fixed and dried out.

but on the plus side you're in the South of England so you probably don't have enough water to worry about it :giggle:

and the light airy quality of the cabin with a sunroof makes it well worthwhile.

Going up, seems a tad strange as the government want us to all use greener cars?!

I was only quoting book BiK, I just can't understand why they would then put this up, THIEVES :swear:

They do, but the threshold of what's considered a green car is going down each year.

It used to be that there was a big drop from 18% at 121g down to 13% for 120 or less.

Now it's a more gradual change with 1% less per 5g of CO2 reduction below 120, plus each band rises by 1% per year to encourage people to go for newer more efficient designs.

Anyone who's bought a greenline expecting to pay 13% for the life of the car will be surprised when next month's pay packet arrives.

http://www.nextgreen...mpanycartax.php

Edited by Dr Zoidberg

Living in London you have to get the Park Assist - even you are apt at parallel parking it can get you into the smallest of spots. If you are going to drive to work every day get the heated windscreen for sure. I have the sunroof and have had no leaks in 13,000 miles. Many people have no issues with the roof. It brightens up the interior amazingly. Get the tyre pressure monitior for ease of mind and the electric driver's seat if you want the most adjustment or there will be two drivers. Definitely get the spare wheel - unless you are just going to travel around London when the gunk would suffice or Škoda Assist will be with you quick enough. Since the 170 only comes in Elegance spec it goes without saying to get that... but... Another thing to think about (living in London) is to go 140 TDI Elegance and get the DSG. Your left foot will thank you once you get stuck in the queues of traffic believe me. The 140 is not that much slower than the 170 but in combination with the DSG does use more fuel. But the ease of use for me is something I will gladly pay for (in using more fuel). Incidently the 140DSG is the top if the range Yeti if you just look at price! :giggle:

That's true! I think I want to get a manual as it'll be my first car and I really want to get into the habit of driving a manual rather than forgetting how to do it all. Well that and I worry I'll pretend I'm on my Xbox and then find myself driving like a twerp…

What sort of mpg could I expect from the 170cr on an almost entirely motorway commute? I'll be going from East London to Milton Keynes each day, so M25, M1…

If you spend time in the car the uprated sound system is nice. Columbus sat nav is a lovely piece of kit, but its pricey. If you drive the 170 like granny then you can get nearly 60mpg (50mph inside lane with the lorries) but whats the point. Normal about 42-44 mpg.

Andy

The Panoramic Roof lets in a lot of light and really seems to open the cabin up even more.

Johann is spot on regarding TPM (seeing as your up and down the M1 everyday, it's peace of mind) and the heated windscreen should be fitted standard on any car!

Park Assist is very handy. The Columbus Sat Nav is also fantastic (especially find your way through MKs roundabouts). If there is more than just you driving the car then the electric drivers seat is well worth considering.

Is the car going to go off road at all? If so then also go for the rough road pack.

They do, but the threshold of what's considered a green car is going down each year.

It used to be that there was a big drop from 18% at 121g down to 13% for 120 or less.

Now it's a more gradual change with 1% less per 5g of CO2 reduction below 120, plus each band rises by 1% per year to encourage people to go for newer more efficient designs.

Anyone who's bought a greenline expecting to pay 13% for the life of the car will be surprised when next month's pay packet arrives.

http://www.nextgreen...mpanycartax.php

I was aware of increases year on year, just didn't expect it to jump from 13 - 18%.

Much appreciated.

I've got pretty much all the main options on my 170, except the sunroof as I do offroading and 20k miles per year.

I had concerns over leaks and squeaks two or three years down the line when the car is getting a bit used. I hate squeaks and rattles.

But we do have the sunroof in my wife's Yeti and I have to say it's very nice.

She does far less miles and it lives in the garage so there were less long term concerns.

What sort of mpg could I expect from the 170cr on an almost entirely motorway commute? I'll be going from East London to Milton Keynes each day, so M25, M1…

Expect about 45mpg average unless you like driving at 60mph on the inside lane when you'll get about 10% more.

As always, figures will get better over the first 10k miles or so as it wears in.

I was aware of increases year on year, just didn't expect it to jump from 13 - 18%.

Much appreciated.

No probs.

I spotted it when I was looking for potential company cars - there's a hell of a lot of vehicles that just squeeze in at 119g that will suddenly get more costly.

Expect about 45mpg average unless you like driving at 60mph on the inside lane when you'll get about 10% more.

As always, figures will get better over the first 10k miles or so as it wears in.

I have to get a new car every 8000 miles or after 6 months, so I won't get that benefit! Not sure whether to be peeved or not…