Help, Quick! Which vrs?

Hi folks I'm buying a 2006 vrs tfsi and I have two offers. No 1 has 86000 miles and price is £4500. No 2 has 53000 miles and price £5700, which one should I go for assuming both in vgood condition and fsh etc? Urgency is I'm lifting either or this weekend. Thanks in advance.

Number 2 sounds a better bargain but what about extras, options etc? Hard to tell without seeing/driving them surely

I'm flying over to England from n Ireland, test drive not possible therefore for both unfortunately. Options on both cars v similar, nothing in it, i suppose it's whether there's better valu in 32000 less miles approx in dearer car, that's why I'm in here asking the experts! ;)

I'm no expert but they are both out of warranty and all things else being equal £1200 for 33000 miles (or about 3 years normal motoring) less sounds a better bag. I know high mileage isn't necessarily the devil it used to be be even so I think I know which I'd go for.

I'm no expert but they are both out of warranty and all things else being equal £1200 for 33000 miles (or about 3 years normal motoring) less sounds a better bag. I know high mileage isn't necessarily the devil it used to be be even so I think I know which I'd go for.

Another thing to consider is the best option for a remap, would a fresher engine be better or if the engine with higher miles be ok if it was well looked after?

I would agree. Its not just engine wear and tear. Suspension and interior may also be an issue. I've done high miles in a diesel vrs and they don't show age when looked after but I would still go with the lower mileage example if the service history stacked up. Have you considered looking in the roi? Despite what is thought the roads aren't grass filledc rators and from my experience someone buying a vrs is more likely to have been looked after. I have seen some stupidly cheap ones recently. Ignore the two silver 2006 ones on done deal.ie and carzone.ie.

Edited by EoinM

As long as the engine (and drive train) had beem looked after properly it shouldnt matter really. But then again a less used engine properly looked after is probably better able to handle the extra stresses of a remap. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing whether thats the case or not.

As long as the engine (and drive train) had beem looked after properly it shouldnt matter really. But then again a less used engine properly looked after is probably better able to handle the extra stresses of a remap. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing whether thats the case or not.

Aye I think for the wee bit extra and piece of mind i should go for the lower mileage car but I'm findin it hard to ignore the saving for the other at the same time, that extra 1200 would buy some fuel! Any more opinions out there need to make decision to book flights preferably tonight, advice would be much appreciated from those in the know

Have you any links for either of them, also how many owners, service history, How much equipment, cruise, dual climate, zenons, 18 " wheels , jumbo box, rear electric windows, maxidot, colour?

Have they both had the cam belt done?

Too many things to think about other than the mileage. The 86k car could have an immaculate service history new tyres and discs. The 53k might have been lubed with Tesco value oil and the cheapest of evrything else.

If you get it wrong it'll cost you more than the price of a flight.

• Like 1

Too many things to think about other than the mileage. The 86k car could have an immaculate service history new tyres and discs. The 53k might have been lubed with Tesco value oil and the cheapest of evrything else.

+1

Thanks for advice lads. Checked them out and the one with less miles had the cam belt done and the older one hadn't. Headin over sat morn to collect the dearer car at 5600 and really lookin forward to owning a vrs again. The guy seems a genuinely good lad and has looked after car really well, full service history and receipts incl new ecu two weeks ago. hopefully the car turns out to be a clinker. Now where to for the best remap?!