DRL with eBay LEDs

Following on from this thread and the fact that ultraleds.co.uk no longer supply white P21W canbus compatible replacements, I decided to try these from eBay -

led%20p21w.jpg

A quick test before fitted showed they had internal rectifiers so were not polarity dependant :thumbup:

Fitting took all of 10mins, if that. Remove panel from bottom grill, insert arm, feel for connector, quarter turn and remove. Reassembly is the reverse - nearside (left-hand) unit is easiest to fit, as there is less space behind the offside (right-hand) unit.

Result, with no lamp errors showing on the dash-

drl.jpg

Nearside is the LED! As can be seen it's much whiter than the standard lamp (even makes the fluorescent light in the garage look yellow) :thumbup:

Due to language problems, I need to have this more explained :)

The DRL lights, is that the light to the left, or to the right on this picture?

From your picture, it looks like you have replaced the "bulb" to the right on the picture below? Is that right?

IMG_3557.JPG

From your picture, it looks like you have replaced the "bulb" to the right on the picture below? Is that right?

No! The DRL bulbs are the outer most ones (the inner ones are the front fog lights) - see attached photo (stolen from elsewhere on here!)

post-1061-0-74502900-1332498293_thumb.jpg

Damn it. I wanted bulbs for the fog lights. :) Maybe you have any ideas on what to buy?

I usually run with fog lights, and the park lights lit. But how do you get both DRL`s to be on at the same time? I thought they only worked when the car turned?

• Like 1

I wanted bulbs for the fog lights. :) Maybe you have any ideas on what to buy?

Page 223 of the Hand Book lists H8 for front fog lights - a quick look around appears to produce no H8 LEDs with integral resistors to defeat the bulb warning - plenty of external resistor packs are listed!

If you need to download the Hand Book, he's the link http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/service/documentation/superb/pages/11-2011.aspx

On the UK models, the DRL lights can be set to be on all the time no other lights are on, with the Fog lights coming on as cornering lights when the other lights are on (ie DRL's off)

It may be worth including the month and year your Superb was built as some people with MY10 / MY11 cars have reported issues with errors. (my November 2010 built MY11 has no such issues)

In future once the grill has been removed you can remove the whole light unit by pressing just one locating clip (shown in the handbook) :thumbup:

Yes there is an easier way to do this as the light unit clips out very easily as Gizmo says.

I am prepared to try these in mine (61 plate) as my previous ones from Ultraleds have given up the ghost totally. However I don't have (and don't particularly want) an eBay account so if anyone wants to oblige I would be grateful.

It may be worth including the month and year your Superb was built as some people with MY10 / MY11 cars have reported issues with errors. (my November 2010 built MY11 has no such issues)

In future once the grill has been removed you can remove the whole light unit by pressing just one locating clip (shown in the handbook) :thumbup:

Mine is a 2012, do you think the bulbs will work on that Gizmo?

Probably not, those that are having problems with them are MY11 onwards (although as I said not every has the problem - mine is also a MY11 and they work fine)

Any ideas on what will work? I dont understand anything about this, so will probably need all info in with a teaspoon :p

I'd love links to pages where I can but them :p

AFAIK if they do not work in your car then the only way to not get any errors is to use an in-line resistor - something like this

BUT you obviously have to tap into the OE loom - something I am not very happy about doing if at all possible (I am going through the same problem trying to fit LED numberplate lights on SWMBO's MY11 Audi TT)

In my case the resistor would be inside the tailgate, so no major issue, but yours would be 'open to the elements'.

One day later with mine and no bulb warnings. Mine's a 61 plate MY12.

When I first tried them (at night) pointing towards my white garage door they did seem a little less bright than the originals but it could be that they're more directional (being LED) than regular bulbs so brighter in the centre and less light spill.

Either way, if you can't see a huge white estate car coming in daylight then no amount of weeny DRLs is going to help :)

• Like 1

Well I've tried a set of these in my 61 plate (MY12?) and although they work I get bulb warnings on the dash.

This is strange because Rich's car is the same and his work, plus my previous Ultraleds bulbs worked until one packed up.

So the options are:

1. Try LEDs from car mod shop (can't recall which member is running those with no issue?)

2. Try MTEC ones which Philpix (?) was running.

3. Return my original Ultraleds ones and try a replacement if they have any suitable.

4. Sod it and just disable them.

What's your thoughts guys ?

Perhaps we should start a sticky with which bulbs work in which MY models? I presume mine is a MY12 ?

Mine is 2012 as you can see. It may sound strange, but I did get error on one of the LED's, but than I turned it around and error disappeared. (still talking about LED's from first post)

Edited by jozisko

Well I've tried a set of these in my 61 plate (MY12?) and although they work I get bulb warnings on the dash.

This is strange because Rich's car is the same and his work, plus my previous Ultraleds bulbs worked until one packed up.

So the options are:

1. Try LEDs from car mod shop (can't recall which member is running those with no issue?)

2. Try MTEC ones which Philpix (?) was running.

3. Return my original Ultraleds ones and try a replacement if they have any suitable.

4. Sod it and just disable them.

What's your thoughts guys ?

Perhaps we should start a sticky with which bulbs work in which MY models? I presume mine is a MY12 ?

1/ Mine are from the car mod shop (MY11) no errors

2/The MTEC ones are the worst bulbs bar far I have ever used!!!

Mine is 2012 as you can see. It may sound strange, but I did get error on one of the LED's, but than I turned it around and error disappeared. (still talking about LED's from first post)

If you read the information on the ebay listing in the first post, it says you may need to put the bulbs in the other way round if they don't work at the first attempt.

If you read the information on the ebay listing in the first post, it says you may need to put the bulbs in the other way round if they don't work at the first attempt.

Yes, that's what I mean by strange. I thought that one pole of the bulb is bottom and other is the side. So turning it around shouldn't make any difference. Or does someone have explanation?

As I said, I tested mine first and they illuminated which ever way the supply was connected so they must have had internal rectifiers.