Creating second aerial from demister: Will these work?

I'm looking into the options of adding a second aerial input for a Columbus on a pre-FL Octavia estate and have come up with three possible options. I'd be grateful of any input or suggestions as to whether these are possible or have been tired.

1. Replace rear side glass with one that has an aerial on it - then wire up to Columbus (booster required?);
  2. Use an after market hidden aerial - such as Bosch Autofun Pro (activation issues with Columbus?);
  3. Convert rear screen demister into an aerial - I read how to do this on another forum, but can't find it now.

If there are any other ideas or suggestions on these, it would be great to hear them from you guys as I am sure someone will have done this already.

Thanks.

Thanks for the tip, but all this does it take one aerial input and split it between the two connectors on the Columbus.

I don't see any way that this can provide a second aerial to improve reception.

Kufatec also used to do a little 'magic' black box that took one input and produced two outputs (for about £50), but again no one seems to have any real success with actually boosting radio reception performance.

I'm looking into the options of adding a second aerial input for a Columbus on a pre-FL Octavia estate and have come up with three possible options. I'd be grateful of any input or suggestions as to whether these are possible or have been tired.

1. Replace rear side glass with one that has an aerial on it - then wire up to Columbus (booster required?);
  2. Use an after market hidden aerial - such as Bosch Autofun Pro (activation issues with Columbus?);
  3. Convert rear screen demister into an aerial - I read how to do this on another forum, but can't find it now.

1. Not sure if Octavia has such rear side window available

2. No problems, activation issue is solved by attaching the power wire to the antenna signal vire via 100uH inductor.

3. post-19322-0-85253000-1332658013_thumb.jpg Quite costly but can be done.

I've installed Bosch Autofun as a second aerial.

Edited by josi

Any amplifier giving two outputs needs to have at least 3db gain in the amp ,and have the amp before the splitter .Places like Maplin used to do a splitter for the rear screen ,so as the screen could be ised as an aerial . Some older cars used to have this as standard.( Seem to remember the olds Sierras used this method and it was quite good).

Showing my ignorance ,but take it Columbus is in car radio.If so ,and you are only interested in FM, then a lot of the TV amps cover the FM band ,with quite good gain and a splitter .Might be a cheap option ,although the impedance of the car lead might be a problem .A car socket to TV plug should be easy to make .

DOUBLE POST

Edited by VWD

Someone else on this forum (this link, post #48) has also used a Bosch Autofun - so that might be the way to go...

Has it improved reception?

Has it solved the 'Open Circuit' Fault on the VCDS scan of the Columbus?

3. Quite costly but can be done.

Josi - I can't get the image you attached to open so that I can see what the parts are.

Could you try again please?

Post deleted as double.Just realised what a Columbus is ,so kindly ignore my ramblings,

Josi - I can't get the image you attached to open so that I can see what the parts are.

Could you try again please?

It is better now?

Reception with AutoFun is slightly better (signal strength bar in hidden radio menu shows stronger signal) and this solves the "Open Circuit" Fault.

• Like 1

Thanks Josi - can see the picture and part numbers now.

Will look into both options and see which one I go for from here.

Thanks to Josi and the part number I have now found this document:

roofantenna.pdf

Which clarifies things a bit more.

Where does 1Z5 035 552 A actually attach to? Some part of the rear windscreen demister, but where & how? I have no information on this at the moment.

Anyone know how much these parts are from dealer?

1z5 035 552 A

1z2 035 550 H

1k0 937 545 M

N106 569 02

Thanks

• Like 1

Have so far found this on eBay from a Golf Mk5. From the part number it appears to be the same (I believe the first three characters refer to the vehicle origin, e.g. Golf, Octavia, Fabia, etc.)

Can anyone confirm this is the correct part and also what does it actually attache to?

Aerial connection on one end, but does the other attach to demister? If so, how?

• 4 weeks later...

Armed with this information:

aerial removing R108.pdf

And this overview:

aerial overview.pdf

I've decided to get the 5K0 035 552 A version from the Mk5 Golf and see if that works. Initially I'll try connecting it direct to the existing aerial lead via an extension to see if it is working and how well.

If that goes well, I have a used shark fin aerial (1K0 035 507 A) awaiting delivery to act as the second aerial and also the GPS aerial (as long as blue FAKRA is GOS and maroon is FM).

At this point I shall have to start stripping out trim in order to fit a second aerial lead to the HU as well as the GPS cable.

Fingers crossed that I can get the demister working as an aerial despite not having the vertical lines in it (i believe that these are for the second aerial as the Golf info and the Skoda info attached) I have seems to show the glass as having two impedence convertors - I'm no electrician but am wondering whether there needs to be two anyway - a +ve and a -ve).

Anyone have any further thoughts on this project?

• 2 weeks later...

Was down the scrap yard today stealing bits from a Touran (of all cars) and noticed that it had no roof mounted aerial!

Closer inspection showed a side window aerial with part number 1T0 035 577 P.

A physically larger part than the Skoda one Josi listed, but what was interesting was that the lines on the window were basically 'drawn on', just like the rear window demister. The aerial amp connected to the lines by a short wire and then straight to the radio via a FAKRA (white) aerial lead.

Now I'm thinking of stealing the aerial amp (and cables) and drawing an aerial on the rear side window of my Octavia Estate using something like this Grenville stuff from Halfords and wiring the amp direct to this.

Is there anything better than the Grenville stuff or anything specifically for making window aerials?

Think I might go back and take s few pics and see how much they want for the amp and cable!

A bit more information - the second aerial in demister is used only for Octavia A5 sedans, for combi (Estate) second aerial is integrated into the rear right side window.

To convert a sedan demister to aerial, a new wiring set for rear lid with integrated frequency filters is required too, part number for pre-FL is 1Z5 971 147 B. Maybe these filters can be fitted separately from other models like VW Passat (part numbers 3C5 035 570 C for positive and 3C5 035 570 B for negative leads).

Edited by josi

Thanks Josi for the extra info. What exactly does 1Z5 971 147 B consist of?

I can't see a way of adding the extra wiring into the rear window on a combi without replacing the actual window unless 1Z5 971 147 B is the actual wiring for the demister and aerial!

So I've been investigating the possibility of retrofitting an aerial to the rear side window using a VW Touran aerial amp which I am hoping to pick up from the scrap yard today. As far as I can see, this Touran only has one aerial - the window one.

Will update once I have it and have tried it out...

This is a very good thread, I like very much. Let me know how you get on as I am still trying to get to the bottom of whether I could put in a second antenna and use Diversity in conjunction with my DAB aerial.

Thanks Josi for the extra info. What exactly does 1Z5 971 147 B consist of?

It includes all cables and connectors in read lid.

As far as I can see, this Touran only has one aerial - the window one. Will update once I have it and have tried it out...

It may work. Touran has AM/FM aerial in rear right window and additional FM aerial in rear left window if aerial diversity option is installed.

It includes all cables and connectors in read lid.

I doubt it, but does that include the wires needed for the radio aerial as well? Or just the wires from the amplifier(s) to the head unit?

The Touran did indeed have two aerials as Josi said. I now have both - for a good price (if they work). The FM one had a white FAKRA connector, while the AM/FM one had a 'Natur' (brown / beige) connector. Now I'm even more confused as there does not appear to be a 'standard' colour for FAKRA useage in motor vehicles...

The actual aerials were identical and consisted of three near vertical lines

post-59543-0-13792000-1336680712_thumb.jpg

joined together with a horizontal line at the top

post-59543-0-85716100-1336680736_thumb.jpg

to which the aerial amp was soldered.

post-59543-0-34329400-1336680758_thumb.jpg

Does look rather easy to replicate in principle - will have to see once I have the OPS instal completed.

I doubt it, but does that include the wires needed for the radio aerial as well? Or just the wires from the amplifier(s) to the head unit?

No, aerial wires are separate parts. And amplifiers are powered by a phantom power from head unit via aerial wires, there is no special wiring for them.

Is it possible to get the actual aerial that 'sticks' to the rear side window glass?

The orange lines that the aerial amp is connected to and uses to pick up the radio signals.

Can these be purchased and stuck to the glass by the customer or does it require a new window (glass & aerial)?

Are part numbers & prices for each option available?

• 3 weeks later...

Found this article and wondered if it would work considering the aerial cables in VAG cars carry power to the aerial?

Would it be possible to wire the aerial amp (1T0 035 577 P or the corresponding FM only version) to the demister and a standard VAG aerial cable to the amp?

Any thoughts from people who have tired to create a second aerial for a Columbus - I can't believe that I would be the first Briskodian to try this...