Road & Wind noise

Hello All

Really pleased with my 55 plate 2.0 TDI PD which Ive had for a year now and covered 25,000 miles. One frustration is the amount of road noise I get along with wind noise at speeds of between 70-80 mph.

Anyone got a cure, Im running bridgestone tyres up front and dunlops rear. The wind noise seems to come from around the wing mirrors and front doors.

The Octavia has come under criticism in the past for a noisy interior although this is normally down to the older PD diesel engines and a lack of noise isulation around the bulkhead and under the bonnet and road/tyre noise through a lack of insulation under the carpets and in the boot.

Can't say I've heard of issues around the wing mirrors or doors though, of course too much noise and what is acceptable is all down to the individual and what they are used to / expect.

Could it be the rear quarterligt window seals? There is an easy fix for those if you search on here. In any event if you want to find wind noise the best way tio start is to use masking tape around any suspect area and move progressively eliminating each one.

I do get a bit of a whistle from my door mirros but I think mine are larger on the 2010 model.

One of my collegues runs a late model 3 Series and he reckons my VRS is a quiet car!

I don't agree and this summer I'm going to add some sound deadening to the doors, boot floor, under the rear seat and if I can be arsed, I'll do the wheel arches and tranny tunnel as well.

Can't say I've ever noticed adverse wind noise however there is some transmission through the door skin.

Loads of previous posts regarding window seal issues on here so might be worth having a dig around.

I've insulated the rear of the front arches (underneath the arch liners, with waterproof foam) and the rear arches inside the car with felt. The rear arches are really easy to insulate, as there is an a 20 to 25 mm gap between the carpet and the metal around the side of the boot. I've also added felt under the front carpet up against the bulkhead, but this is not so easily done on the driver's side.

Next will be some quieter tyres - the Michelin Exaltos are very, very noisy.

(I had a similar experience in a Volvo V50 - the Pirelli P7's were really noisy, and when I changed them to Goodyear Excellence it was like I had a different car.)

I recommend driving a 12 year old Peugeot 306 L D from new for over 150,000 miles then get back into the Octavia and see if you think it is noisy :giggle:

Rolling up to traffic lights had me thinking it had stalled - and my two are both PD's!