Selling up and moving on from VAG

Well for a little while ive considered it but now i have made my decision that im going to sell up and after 5 years of VAG ownership move over to a very very dark side!

Few reasons, mainly the mpg issue on the new fabia, i bought the car in the knowledge that id be able to get certainly high 30's to the gallon, where so far im lucky to have got 30. Secondly ive lost confidence in the car hearing more than a fair share of relibaility problems and with my "normal" oil consumption becoming a complete pain in the backside.

I wont reveal what i have bought yet to replace the fabia but lets just say low mpg and high oil consumption will remain the norm, but are at least expected!

come on let us know or are you worried about what others might say, changed my vrs to mazda but kept my fabia 12 sport.

I respect your choice to move on etc. etc. but It strikes me how often people (I am not necessarily referring to you) expect from the car with the lowest price on the near 200 bhp range to be at the same time:

1) As economical as a 1.2 HTP version while at the same time being able to compete power-wise with a Clio RS.

2) Be 100% care-free and not demand even one drop of oil despite pushing out an insane amount of power from just a 1.4L engine and driving a turbocharger and a supercharger. Power that maybe ten years ago we wouldn't even dream of coming from such a small engine.

3) Complain about secondary to me (given the value for money of the car) issues like minor rattles, plastics quality etc.

Of course If when they buy an RX8 or whatever has on it the stamp of "True sports car" they immediately forget about lousy mpgs, oil consumption, quality issues, inexistent practicality etc. etc. I truly can't understand how or why would Skoda or any other manufacturer tbh, offer such a perfect car as these people expect and ask less than anybody else, sounds terribly wrong to me...

Don't get me wrong I am far than thinking the vRS is a flawless car, I do think though that it is a lot better, or way more honest than other cars I could have spent my money on and that is only after being in all those cars due to being owned by friends (Mito, MX-5, Clio RS, Astra GTC).

Yes an RX8 it is well if the one i see tomorrow ticks the right boxes

I understand people expect way to much from some cars and i also see how the Fabia is a fantastic little car for the money but i feel like im getting all the drawbacks of owning something midly exotic and not many of the benefits, yes the car is bonkers quick but it doesnt feel exicitng to me, i owned an rx8 a few years ago and it was hands down the most exicitng car ive ever owned and the mpg is not that much worse than the fabia and the oil consumption is probably comparable, the boot is about the same size, theres just as much room in the back and the best bit its about 5k cheaper than the Fabia so it really does seem like a no brainer

Yes an RX8 it is well if the one i see tomorrow ticks the right boxes

I understand people expect way to much from some cars and i also see how the Fabia is a fantastic little car for the money but i feel like im getting all the drawbacks of owning something midly exotic and not many of the benefits, yes the car is bonkers quick but it doesnt feel exicitng to me, i owned an rx8 a few years ago and it was hands down the most exicitng car ive ever owned and the mpg is not that much worse than the fabia and the oil consumption is probably comparable, the boot is about the same size, theres just as much room in the back and the best bit its about 5k cheaper than the Fabia so it really does seem like a no brainer

Oh ok, I didn't see that at all on your first post, maybe you forgot it. I think I read: "mainly the mpg issue on the new fabia" and my "normal" oil consumption becoming a complete pain in the backside" . So that's why I still struggle to understand how you would be relieved from your two main problems with the fabia by buying an RX-8 which regarding the mpg is in reality way worse than fabia's mid 30s as I can testify from a colleague here who owns it since 2007 and always complains about spending a lot on fuel. As per oil consumption well I can't say enough myself. I think it's all told by the user manual who states paying close attention to oil level and checking it every 2nd or 3d fill-up :o ....

Of course the driving is a lot more exciting although you could get close to it by a nice suspension upgrade but If it's the RX-8 that makes you happy that's all that matters.

Just take your time with an RX-8 purchase. Not necessarily the ultra-reliable Japanese motor that people might think :)

Engine replacements are more common than I've ever heard on other cars of a comparable age, plus there are PLENTY around on the 2nd hand market, and not shifting - even the mint ones. So you can afford to be very picky.

And I hope you're planning on keeping it a looooong time, as it won't sell on again in a hurry.

Driving wise, they're extremely rewarding and neutral, until the rear is provoked. And you need to be on the power all the time to make progress. Think VTEC, but with less torque....

• Like 2

my mate had a blue RX8 the 227bhp version when they 1st came out it was good fun and pretty nippy and a nice looking car,it averaged 14mpg when he quizzed dealership about consumption,he was told it was about right!

A used RX8 cost peanuts,some earlier RX8's are starting to suffer from Rust like most Mazda's of that era,Mazda's are generally very reliable my GF has a rusty 2006 Mazda 3 sport it's never missed a beat very reliable old lump the car not the GF :giggle:

Edited by seagull

It seems funny to me but vrs driver all seem to knock other car (my friend had this that and the other) get a life and be happy for other people choices, and yes I do think a vrs is a good all round car for the money but that the point for the money.

Edited by curs
  • Like 1

It seems funny to me but vrs driver all seem to knock other car (my friend had this that and the other) get a life and be happy for other people choices, and yes I do think a vrs is a good all round car for the money but that the point for the money.

+1

I couldn't care less what he buys. I just don't like the RX8. Is that OK with you ? :think:

• Like 1

Not a surprise really. OP owned an RX8 before and he enjoyed it so much he wanted one again and good luck to him. There's no knocking of the car at all as when it's a good one it's supposed to be very good.

Completely missing the point I'm afraid. If he said, hey finally I don't like the looks of the vRS and its driving behaviour I would not bother to say anything. But when I read that his 2 greater worries about it are low mpg and oil consumption, then I can't but laugh when he says his next car is going to be the RX-8, obvious no? It's a fact that the RX-8 is both fuel & oil hungry. Other than that there are lots of other greater cars than the vRS but opting for a used RX-8 takes really lots of courage imho.

And just because we have a life, some of us happen to have friends/colleagues that owned an RX-8 and have witnessed all of what we talk about here. I understand that maybe you don't like it because you bought a Mazda but that alone shouldn't make you go out and say "you're all liers, you know nothing of the RX-8, you just want to knock Mazda blah blah" I can't believe I read such a childish reaction to confirmed facts. If you think all of as who state a 1st or 2nd hand experience with it are making it all up just do a search on RX-8 forums ffs.... :o

One week ago a friend of mine nearly my age asked me my opinion about a new car and given his style, I suggested taking a look at the new Mazda 3.... No I didn't recommend the vRS! Now what does that make me? A "betrayer" of Skoda or something? Only to make clear how silly is your comment that vrs drivers just knock all other cars, of course I speak for myself but I doubt most vRS drivers are as fanatic about it as you describe. Probably the opposite...

+1

However Seb is someone that perfectly fits in your description! He's that typical driver that whatever he may own is at the time being the "perfect" car and the "smartest" choice. I still remember his comments about how great cars are the Fabias etc. etc. and I couldn't help thinking he's over-praising them really. Then one day he says hi, I sold both my fabias yesterday and bought a Golf. You know what guys, it's the perfect car! Not compared at all with the Fabia (but wasn't that perfect??? I'm confused!) :rofl: You get the point...

Edited by newbie69
  • Like 1

Completely missing the point I'm afraid. If he said, hey finally I don't like the looks of the vRS and its driving behaviour I would not bother to say anything. But when I read that his 2 greater worries about it are low mpg and oil consumption, then I can't but laugh when he says his next car is going to be the RX-8, obvious no? It's a fact that the RX-8 is both fuel & oil hungry. Other than that there are lots of other greater cars than the vRS but opting for a used RX-8 takes really lots of courage imho.

And just because we have a life, some of us happen to have friends/colleagues that owned an RX-8 and have witnessed all of what we talk about here. I understand that maybe you don't like it because you bought a Mazda but that alone shouldn't make you go out and say "you're all liers, you know nothing of the RX-8, you just want to knock Mazda blah blah" I can't believe I read such a childish reaction to confirmed facts. If you think all of as who state a 1st or 2nd hand experience with it are making it all up just do a search on RX-8 forums ffs.... :o

One week ago a friend of mine nearly my age asked me my opinion about a new car and given his style, I suggested taking a look at the new Mazda 3.... No I didn't recommend the vRS! Now what does that make me? A "betrayer" of Skoda or something? Only to make clear how silly is your comment that vrs drivers just knock all other cars, of course I speak for myself but I doubt most vRS drivers are as fanatic about it as you describe. Probably the opposite...

However Seb is someone that perfectly fits in your description! He's that typical driver that whatever he may own is at the time being the "perfect" car and the "smartest" choice. I still remember his comments about how great cars are the Fabias etc. etc. and I couldn't help thinking he's over-praising them really. Then one day he says hi, I sold both my fabias yesterday and bought a Golf. You know what guys, it's the perfect car! Not compared at all with the Fabia (but wasn't that perfect??? I'm confused!) :rofl: You get the point...

.? No ! Fabias where great cars , my issue was with the dealer that's why I got rid, I am not a fan of the new dsg vrs as it has fundamental issues, I.e it's badly put together in the skoda hence the issues! As for the golf being better ? Hell yes not because it's my latest ride because it just is, as a more expensive vehicle would be better than the golf, is the principal of scale ! More money you spend the better the product end of ! I've never had any real issues with skoda vehicles just there annoying bloody dealers and lack of customer services , into pipe and smoke it !!!!

.? No ! Fabias where great cars , my issue was with the dealer that's why I got rid, I am not a fan of the new dsg vrs as it has fundamental issues, I.e it's badly put together in the skoda hence the issues! As for the golf being better ? Hell yes not because it's my latest ride because it just is, as a more expensive vehicle would be better than the golf, is the principal of scale ! More money you spend the better the product end of ! I've never had any real issues with skoda vehicles just there annoying bloody dealers and lack of customer services , into pipe and smoke it !!!!

I'd say good but not as great as you describe, and similarly I was not that much impressed from Golf on my test-drive. The quote "you get what you pay for" is often true, but it's even more often used from the industries as an argument for asking high prices for not that high a quality. That much before going off-topic...

I know what you mean about claimed mpg ... I've complained bitterly about the expected mpg from my Greenline 1.2 diesel from new. Skoda claiming 80 and 90 to the gallon but this is nonsense! I'm getting 50 to the gallon if I drive carefully. I think Skoda ought to be brought to task for their insidious lies as regards their claims! I bought the car after getting rid of a Fiat Punto getting a regular 80+ to the gallon! I taken the car into the dealer and he can't find anything wrong. I would say Skoda has lied about it's claims and happy to challenge them if they still insist on silly claims for their cars! .. I thought there were laws to protect us from this bull but apparently not!

I would be happy to change my car if I was to lose only a couple of thousand pounds but the depreciation wouldn't make it worthwhile at the moment so I'm sgtuck with it while it eats money!

I know plenty who are like that. They own a car, defend it to the hilt right up until the point they sell it and then slag it off and saying the new toy is the best thing ever. I'll admit the new vRS isn't for everyone but I love it and I'm really glad I've got it and in many ways better than the Mk1 but I also loved that too and would recommend one to anyone. I bought it for me and no one else. I'm the one who drives it every day and if anyone slags a car I own off I just dismiss it. It isn't their car it's mine. I also had this with my last car and some oik said it was "still a Skoda" and rolled his eyes. He was driving a poverty spec Vectra so what does he know.

When people pick holes at the vRS when they don't one or haven't driven one again I just ignore them. Sy is famed for slagging off the vRS and being hyper critical of it but still bought one. I bought the car because it was the only one that ticked all MY boxes.

Fast? Yes (I am aware this is relative)

Easy to drive quickly? Yes

Can carry a kayak and all my fishing gear? Yes

Decent on fuel? Yes

Looks decent? Yes

Easy to live with every day? Yes

Good dealer? Yes

Good price? Yes

Easy to clean? Yes

Reliable? On the whole Yes and Skodas in general are reliable. Last one was flawless apart from bushes which was common.

Plenty of future mods? Yes

Now at this point in my life this car does everything I want from a car. Inevitably in a few years I will want to change. I still have a RWD itch to scratch and tbh if I didn't have a kayak I was seriously considering Lotus Elises but this would have meant 4 figure insurance again, front end resprays every few years plus reliability isn't VAG. Plenty of time for that though.

• Like 1

I know what you mean about claimed mpg ... I've complained bitterly about the expected mpg from my Greenline 1.2 diesel from new. Skoda claiming 80 and 90 to the gallon but this is nonsense! I'm getting 50 to the gallon if I drive carefully. I think Skoda ought to be brought to task for their insidious lies as regards their claims! I bought the car after getting rid of a Fiat Punto getting a regular 80+ to the gallon! I taken the car into the dealer and he can't find anything wrong. I would say Skoda has lied about it's claims and happy to challenge them if they still insist on silly claims for their cars! .. I thought there were laws to protect us from this bull but apparently not!

I would be happy to change my car if I was to lose only a couple of thousand pounds but the depreciation wouldn't make it worthwhile at the moment so I'm sgtuck with it while it eats money!

Just bear in mind the fuel economy figures are not Skoda's figures. These are independently carried out tests on randomly selected cars from the production line and carried out by EU agents to comply with the EU passenger car fuel consumption laws. Skoda by law must publish these figures. The figures are perfectly possible. But there may be many many reasons why you are not achieving them, and gone into elsewhere on this site many times. There isn't usually any problem with the car though. It's usually the way it's been treated during running in and the way it's driven, also the sort of journeys, load carried, weather, and topography it's driven in, and whether it's summer or winter diesel you are using. But you know all that right! Oh, and it wont' give it's best untill at least 10k has been covered. There is also a big learning curve to be entered into on how to drive the Greenline to get the best out of it, also covered elsewhere on this site.

Edited by Estate Man

I know plenty who are like that. They own a car, defend it to the hilt right up until the point they sell it and then slag it off and saying the new toy is the best thing ever. I'll admit the new vRS isn't for everyone but I love it and I'm really glad I've got it and in many ways better than the Mk1 but I also loved that too and would recommend one to anyone. I bought it for me and no one else. I'm the one who drives it every day and if anyone slags a car I own off I just dismiss it. It isn't their car it's mine. I also had this with my last car and some oik said it was "still a Skoda" and rolled his eyes. He was driving a poverty spec Vectra so what does he know.

When people pick holes at the vRS when they don't one or haven't driven one again I just ignore them. Sy is famed for slagging off the vRS and being hyper critical of it but still bought one. I bought the car because it was the only one that ticked all MY boxes.

Fast? Yes (I am aware this is relative)

Easy to drive quickly? Yes

Can carry a kayak and all my fishing gear? Yes

Decent on fuel? Yes

Looks decent? Yes

Easy to live with every day? Yes

Good dealer? Yes

Good price? Yes

Easy to clean? Yes

Reliable? On the whole Yes and Skodas in general are reliable. Last one was flawless apart from bushes which was common.

Plenty of future mods? Yes

Now at this point in my life this car does everything I want from a car. Inevitably in a few years I will want to change. I still have a RWD itch to scratch and tbh if I didn't have a kayak I was seriously considering Lotus Elises but this would have meant 4 figure insurance again, front end resprays every few years plus reliability isn't VAG. Plenty of time for that though.

:thumbup: Great post.
  • Like 1