How much?!?!?!

Car going into indy to get minor service and front brakes done.

Dialled up the brake parts on ECP, it came to £92 with the 25% off voucher code getting Pagid parts. I thought I'll give the local Skoda dealer a phone just in case they're cheaper or within a couple of quid.....£186.

**** me, I expected them to be a bit dearer but not double.

Edited by Aspman

Am I reading this right, they want £186 to do from brake pads?

Nope, he said parts, must admity I read pads the first time

I will add I bought pattern discs & pads once on the Mk 1 Octy when I was skint & they were useless.

Make sure you are pricing like for like, these days you often get what you pay for or better put you dont get what you arent preared to pay for

Edited by Stuart_J

Dealer was disc and pads supply only.

Padgid stuff seems to be well regarded on line.

Put them on the rears last month and they're fine.

I agree that often you only get what you pay for and indeed Main Dealers can be quite competative these days. However, when you start pulling parts off a vehicle it soon becomes obvious that Skoda (all manufacturers really) are themselves "buying in" branded parts. I recently replaced genuine Volkwagen supplied MAP and MAF sensors and both were clearly marked as Bosch parts with the VAG part numbers alongside the Bosch part numbers.Filters, batteries, brakes and suspension parts are frequently just bought in in bulk by the manufactures and so long as you buy a good brand from a good motor factor when you replace them you are fine. Buying from a dealer in the case of brakes could be a case of paying more simply for having a VAG part number stamped on it.

As an aside it's also quite instructive sometimes to see how far my car travelled before it was assembled by Skoda:

Tyres from Germany but wheels from Czech Republic?

Headlamp bulbs from Hungary

Seat belts from Rumania

Engine from Germany

Gearbox from Germany but Oil cap from Spain?

Air filter from England

Fuel filter from Italy

I am sure I'll find more of this as the car gets older :)

Dealer called while mine was in for a service to say the fronts needed doing, think it was about £240 including labour. Reckoned the rears had a couple of thousand miles left in them so I'll be doing them myself.

My indy charged £40 to fit the rears and I supplied the discs and pads (about £75 from ECP).

I had grand plans to do them myself but I'd have been more than £40 for the tools plus he said the carriers were a pig to get off so I probably wouldn't have managed without a ramp.

Edited by Aspman