How high do you have your seat?

ejstubbs

Is it my imagination, or do the Yeti front seats tip forward as you raise them? I've been experimenting with the driving position in my Yeti recently and I was surprised to find that support under my thighs just above the knee (ie from the front portion of the seat cushion) seemed to decrease as I increased the seat height. That was the opposite of what I was expecting. To get comfortable support in that area with the seat raised, I have to move the seat back, giving me a longer reach to the pedals and so dropping my knees slightly. The problem with that is that I end up over-reaching for the steering wheel, even at its furthest out position. To counteract that I can move the seat back forward a bit - but then I end up feeling like I'm hunched over the wheel like Quasimodo!

The most comportable position for me at the moment seems to be with the seat at its lowest possible position. That seems daft: I'm only just over 6ft tall so I can't help wondering how taller drivers manage. My inside leg is 34" so not particularly long (although too long for most M&S trousers, so maybe I am a leggy freak after all...) And as far as I am aware I don't have short arms - using M&S as a guide to standard body shapes again, their standard shirts fit me fine, I don't need either the longer fit or the shorter fit..

I guess that, so long as I can find a comfortable driving position then it doesn't really matter, but it does seem a bit daft to have a car like the Yeti which sits quite high, and to end up sitting so low in it!

On the other hand, I suppose that the extra headroom it gives me would allow me to wear a nice tweed tribly if I wanted to. But I don't. In fact, don't get me started on drivers who wear hats...

N.B. For the purposes of the above argument (which I haven't actually gone in to) motor sport safety helmets do not count as "hats".

Can i ask, do you have the electric seat option?

I have the seat almost fully up and am able to adjust the seat base to suit my driving position, that with the added lumbar support options was the reason i chose the electric seats. I couldn't get comfortable in the manual ones.

This is the biggest advantage of the electric seat - that the base can be adjusted individually at the front or the back.

Where is mine? Sort of 60% up I guess. I like to see the bonnet (which is rare these days in any car but easy in the Yeti) but hate having my head right against the ceiling.

I'm 6'2" and do like the reclined approach.

So for seating..... as far back as possible and as low down, admittedly it does blind my view by the B pillar but at least I'm comfortable.

Electric seats are a joy though.

Well I'm 5' 7" with a 27" leg, so a fairly typical short a r s e little Welshman, and my seat is slightly up from the lowest setting with the back not very inclinded, as recommended by our local back expert.

I think as you raise the rear the front rises a smaller amount, so the seat sort-of pivots.

No electric seats in mine, sadly. It's odd because I used to be comfortable with the seat higher but it seems to have become less uncomfortable lately. Maybe I shouldn't have fiddled with it in the first place...

Thats the tricky thing with manual seats, you find your driving position then you tweak it slightly and it's hard to get the original back.

Without going OT my boss just went to go out in our Superb that I had been driving and couldn't reach the pedals :giggle: - but 1 press later and it was back to my driving position.

I am almost 6'. I have mine almost as high as it can go. I prefer it that way. I find the seat very comfortable. Bearing in mind that I will spend 20-25 hours in the seat per tankful of fuel - around 400 miles, I just love it. My head is nowhere near the roof.

Having it high does present a few niggling problems though - seeing past the rear view mirror is a pain, and when I stop at traffic lights, if I am first in the queue can be difficult to see the nearest traffic lights because the roof is in the way - maybe next time a sunroof would solve that :giggle: .

None of the above detract from driving the car.

Oh, yes I do have the lecky seat version.....

Well, I had another play with the seat this evening and I think I've got it sussed now. Gave it six pumps on the height adjuster (anyone else notice that it takes more pumps to go all the way up then it does to go all the way down?), moved the seat back a couple of notches and noticed that the forward tilt of the higher seat brought the wheel just close enough to be almost comfy. Dropped the seat one notch, moved it forward one notch and it felt good. So I'm still sitting low-ish, but not as low as before, and I still have a bit of support from the front edge of the seat cushion, which is nice.

In the absence of electric seats I think I may have to write the settings down in case I bog it all up again - or the missus does!

Manual seats in mine and set to accommodate my 6' 3" frame with 34" inside leg as follows;-

Fore/aft - set about 3/4 the way back

Seat height - lowest possible

Backrest - fairly upright not quite vertical

Steering wheel - with top of the rim a whisker below the line of sight of the dashboard and fairly close to me so that, when I stretch my arms straight, I can rest the inside of my wrists on the rim of the wheel (thus arms are bent about 110-120 degrees at the elbow when holding the wheel).

It may be worth having a look at the 'Seat Training' here;- http://www.recaro-au...ic-comfort.html