LE vs FL vs Octy 3?

Can't decide what to do:

1) buy LE CR VRS now

2) buy FL CR VRS in six months or so when prices crash as a result of everyone who waited for the CR coming to the end of their PCP deals so a 'flood' of used cars entering the market

3) wait until the Octy 3 comes out and buy one (unless the previous versions suffer huge losses in value, in which case but second hand still).

Don't want a PD as its been thoroughly slated by a VW tech friend of mine. Also, want the bolero, new switchgear, etc.

Am I right in thinking that the LE had maxidot, all new interior, switches, dials, etc (plus very nice seats) but was as the 'old' model on the outside? Are there any real differences to the FL other than the slightly different front end and tacky DRLs?

LE has cheap looking poor quality alloy wheels and cheap looking LE badging. On the plus side it had nice leather seats and the FL dash.

I think the DRLs look good. Why would you think they are tacky? You can turn them off anyway.

Personally I never got on with the CR, it was too compromised. Not quick enough to be exciting and not fuel efficient enough to justify being a diesel.

I just dislike the DRLs - not just on the Octy, I'm one of the few who don't like the strips on the front of Audis either. Admittedly the Octy DRLs are not as bad as they are on many cars, but I'm far from being a fan.

Interesting what you say about the CR - I had a big standard diesel as a courtesy car for a while and found it surprisingly driveable round town (although it quickly ran out of puff on te open road obviously). I had assumed that the VRS, with a lot more power, would be a lot better. Perhaps I need to test drive ASAP in case I dislike the Derv too. Hope not as that will leave me unsure what to do.

As for MPG, if I could get what some on here claim to I'd be quite happy. Then again I've never really got into the late thirties that some members claim from their TFSis so maybe need to take some of the claims with a pinch of salt. Best I ever got was about 36 (per trip computer) and that was on a 30 odd mile run involving lots of twisty fifties along the coast. Got 32 on a trip from Dover to Scotland and back, including running round whilst I was up there, sticking largely to 80 on the motorway (per trip computer verified to be within 0.5 mpg accuracy by brimming the tank and manually calculating)

It's worth getting one to test drive for a day to be sure it meets expectations. It's a good car and good engine but didn't suit me at all.

I managed 37mpg in my CR but I drove it hard. I now get 30mpg in a remapped tsi driving the same.

Yep, PD's are pretty economical, depends on your use though. My car gets about 6-7K per annum now and 75% of this is around town driving. Have gone through 3/4 of a tank (indicated) and done 350 miles. That's ~40mpg according to fag packet maths.

I guess from the OP that he is talking about the PD in vRS terms rather than the PD in general.

And I would also guess his mate has told him of the various DPF preblems associated with PD vRS's.

In the case of the vRS; there is really no comparison between the PD and CR units. The CR models are far more refined, better on fuel and far less problematic than the predecessor.

If you are looking at newer cars, then I would look for a later CR vRS if you need it to be diesel.

The petrol vRS would be my choice if diesel economy isnt number one on your list of requirements.

Edited by doll

The LE CR has really held it's price - and for a reason; Leather seats, Maxidot, Bolero with the upgraded speaker system, cruise control, spare wheel, tinted glass over the normal Vrs spec.

I was offered 12.5 for mine recently (and they didn't even know I have a map, noisekiller, rear bumper beepers & VW integrated Bluetooth D) - I only paid 15 for it!

Also, I easily get over 50 MPG on cruises and 40 ish on short trips (without hammering it). Manchester and back from South London got me 64 recently.

Also, I easily get over 50 MPG on cruises and 40 ish on short trips (without hammering it). Manchester and back from South London got me 64 recently.

64.............really?

64 sound way to optimistic,

Also to the above why did u vw friend slate the pd Vrs?

Also was the limited edition only made on one certain year and could it be got in petrol or diesel?

Was there an LE pd?

Edited by Davidsr20

I got 64mpg the other week. I posted a pic up on here.

If you think you think the VRS will arrive at the same time as the Octy3 you will be in for a shock. It is usually around 12 months after launch that the 'flagship' model is launched.

I also don't quite understand what you mean about PCP coming to an end in 6 months?

Can't see this having much of an impact as there aren't that many in the first place to flood the market.

I would definately go FL. I looked at the LE before i got mine and simply didn't like it.....The pre FL will look even more dated when the Octy3 comes out and those wheels are horrid and brittle.

64.............really?

hehe yep, 55-60 no stops smooth all the way. Sat Nav and an audio book; no hurry.

Same journey at 45-50, in my old Furby got me over 80! (This picture may clear up why so slow: http://www.wastedspace.co.uk/b3ta/wingroof.jpg )

(I admit computer may be off, but I nearly always get 500+ miles to the tank - with partner n baby on board...)

hehe yep, 55-60 no stops smooth all the way. Sat Nav and an audio book; no hurry.

Same journey at 45-50, in my old Furby got me over 80! (This picture may clear up why so slow: http://www.wastedspa...ta/wingroof.jpg )

(I admit computer may be off, but I nearly always get 500+ miles to the tank - with partner n baby on board...)

500+?

I get closer to 600+ :D

• Like 1

I have been very surprised to see Pre facelift VRS' holding their prices remarkably well against second hand facelift models.

In some cases dealers are asking round about the same, for 09 plate pre and late 09 facelift. I thought the value of mine, a Pre facelift CR VRS would drop like a stone when the facelift came out that just has not happened.

Jane my point about PCP, etc is this:

The FL came out on an 09 plate, late one at that I think. Therefore, with a large number of buyers waiting for the FL and/or getting into a three year finance deal, most of the ones on the market now are those which were bought cash, have been traded early, etc.

I would expect a lot more to come available as people's finance deals end and they upgrade their car.

Maybe not a 'flood' as such, but more FLs on the market = more choice and lower prices.

Hadn't considered that Octy3 VRS may well be a while off yet. That's pretty much discarded as an option then.

I have a TFSi on a 56 plate at the moment - just done a 40 mile trip on the motorway, cruise control at 80 (albeit in some strong winds) and not really thumping it when not on te motorway and got an indicated 32mpg. I'm assuming/hoping the CR VRS would have got me a lot more.......

Don't get me wrong I think petrol is always gonna be a far better option of money is no object, but I need to cut my fuel bills and although I could buy a lot of super unleaded for the £7k or so it'll cost me to change, I'll feel better in a newer car getting better economy rather than feeling like I've been raped every time I fill up.

PD is out - for one reason because I want the newer interior and also because I've been strongly advised not to get one by someone who spends all day working on VAG engines - TBH I really didnt ask for too much reasoning as he's a mate giving me honest opinion and knows FAR more on the subject than I could possibly understand anyway :)

Have been looking around today and although I've always liked the VRS seats (not everyone's cup of tea but I'm happy with them) those LE seats are on another level.......

those LE seats are on another level.......

The seats swung it for me........

I traded in PD VRS for the LE tsi VRS and dont regret it at all. Nothing wrong with the PD engine apart from the DPF regen got annoying after a while. The tsi engine is simply amazing.......

I have a TFSi on a 56 plate at the moment - just done a 40 mile trip on the motorway, cruise control at 80 (albeit in some strong winds) and not really thumping it when not on te motorway and got an indicated 32mpg. I'm assuming/hoping the CR VRS would have got me a lot more.......

High 40s I'd say, maybe 50s.

600miles is only 49 mpg. I've been driving slightly less aggressively over the last few weeks and get about 55-60mpg on my commute.

What kills the diesels fuel consumption is short journeys when it doesn't warm up or town driving.

600miles is only 49 mpg. I've been driving slightly less aggressively over the last few weeks and get about 55-60mpg on my commute.

What kills the diesels fuel consumption is short journeys when it doesn't warm up or town driving.

600 miles is more like 53mpg in my Scout

600 miles is more like 53mpg in my Scout

its a 55 litre tank so I worked it on that. Obviously if you reach 600 miles before running out of fuel it will be more than 49mpg.

Hadn't considered that Octy3 VRS may well be a while off yet. That's pretty much discarded as an option then.

I have a TFSi on a 56 plate at the moment - just done a 40 mile trip on the motorway, cruise control at 80 (albeit in some strong winds) and not really thumping it when not on te motorway and got an indicated 32mpg. I'm assuming/hoping the CR VRS would have got me a lot more.

Dont forget the newer TSI is more fuel efficient, at a constant 80mph you will get around 38mpg. At 70mph its over 40mpg. You also fill up with 95Ron when stock.

Problem is trying to achieve good mpg is a little difficult if you enjoy driving enthusiastically :)