Disappointing mpg - is it me?

Indeed faradaycage, if you Really shortshift it I have seen low 70's mpg come up on an A road to work were its 40Mph for around 10 miles in 6th gear with no stopping, so it just plods on at 1400 rpm.

but as stated, in the real world, and without driving like miss daisy clogging up your EGR system, low 50's should come easy.

A sixth gear is a luxury I would really like to have,I'm planning a trip to France later in the year and a sixth would claw back some of those auto route toll charges..lol

The good thing with the 1.9 PD is it has enough torque to pull that extra gear, and luckily all Touran's came with cruise control too! :nerd:  I do a reasonable amount of Motorway miles, and with 2 kiddies and grandparents at times that's why I bought one, Shame VAG didn't allow a Skoda variant or its own out right 7 Seater....?  :notme:

The good thing with the 1.9 PD is it has enough torque to pull that extra gear, and luckily all Touran's came with cruise control too! :nerd:  I do a reasonable amount of Motorway miles, and with 2 kiddies and grandparents at times that's why I bought one, Shame VAG didn't allow a Skoda variant or its own out right 7 Seater....?  :notme:

I drove a Touran diesel and was very impressed with the feel of it plus the superior vision from the height of the drivers seat,but the Tourans have very good residuals and my pockets weren't deep enough to find one in my budget range at the right mileage.My friend swears by hers though,she's had it a couple of years now and drives it like she's on a permanent timed lap of the Nurburgring and yet I hardly ever see her at the local garage putting in more than a tenner at a time,so I'm guessing she is getting v.good fuel returns like yourself. :wonder: :yes:

Edited by faradaycage
  • Like 1

I live a quarter mile from a dual carriageway,where roundabouts have been breeding in the wild for many moons now,so its rare for me to get a chance to hit and hold a decent turn of speed,but yesterdays out of county trip saw mid forties mpg figures,which made my wallet a very happy camper.

Do you have to "stir the stick" a lot in the 1400 diesel or does it have good mid range torque to keep it up to pace with motorway traffic ?

[/quot

I find it keeps up with traffic very well and pulls very well from 1500 rpm even in 5th gear, been a brilliat car but in the garage at the moment having new front wheel bearings replacement, first repair in 60,000 miles so cant grumble.

A few thoughts on this; have owned a Mk 1 Fabia with the 3-pot 1.4tdi PD, bear in mind it only has 6 valves and a basic waste-gated turbo, which didn't do much below maybe 1,700revs, whereas the 4-cylinder 1.9tdi PD has a Variable-Vane turbo that comes in earlier and gives a more gentle build-up of torque. I don't know about their relative gearing; do they use the same gearbox AND final-drive ratio, the latter would have a bearing on overall MPG. And yes, the Roomster is heavier and with a big, drag-inducing back end.

Has the OP had the handbrake cables and rear brakes checked, the cabling and stuff can cause brake-bind, also consider thermostat operation, possibly Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve may want cleaning, maybe new paper-element air filter, maybe better make/grade/specification of engine oil, and regular usage of a fuel additive eg. Millers Eco Power Plus can improve the MPG.

On the Fabia, I also got the catalyst core removed (it was pretty clogged up), that helped bring the turbo's boost in at lower revs than before.

It is possible to get the 1.4tdiPD re-mapped, and fuel economy can be made even better, BUT the increased fuelling at lowish revs can make it VERY vibratory.

Fabia mpg ranged between about 58 and 76.5, it sustained the latter all summer following re-mapping.

And as you can see, Roomster 1.9tdi PD also now re-mapped, worst 56mpg, best 65mpg tank full to tank full.

That's on Millers Trident fully-synthetic 5W40 longlife engine oil, Millers fuel additive (into supermarket fuel), and standard paper-element air filter. Also Goodyear Efficient Grip tyres (low rolling-resistance AND quiet.)

• Like 1

Elsewhere, I reported on the problems experienced with a 1.6 Tdi CR 105, it was a real head scratcher when first purchased but the problem was a battery earth cable with a high resistance. This caused the tickover to run fast and increase consumption plus the ECU relies on correct voltage in order to function correctly. The replacement battery cable eradicated the problem and the car has been returning an average of 50mpg.

It has since been remapped to the same profile as the Golf 1.6 Tdi CR 140 and performs faultlessly with new consumption of 57mpg.

One tip, use premium diesel, the extra cost is justifiable with the 1.6 Tdi motor

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That's on Millers Trident fully-synthetic 5W40 longlife engine oil, Millers fuel additive (into supermarket fuel), and standard paper-element air filter. Also Goodyear Efficient Grip tyres (low rolling-resistance AND quiet.)

That's what I wanted to ask you guys... tyres, tyres, tyres, i've got Michelin Energy Saver 195/55R15 85H and not sure if because of them or my ecodriving, but I'm managing to get 60MPG on avarage, already did about 55k on my Roomster. Think they might do the job pretty well.

all info about my mpg = http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/596068.html

@

Iblamethatcher - got the same car as you Edited by Baqu

Biggest variable is the type of driving you do. I spent yesterday driving around Leeds and Bradford doing around 50 miles of short trips in heavy traffic. Maxidot generally reads 2 or 3 mpg high and it was showing low 40's mpg.

On Friday I did 30 miles on A roads in light traffic and the maxidot showed 64mpg.

On a motorway run it regularly shows low 70's mpg.

I always smile when I see the motoring mags measuring "real life" mpg. There is no such number!

• 4 months later...

A few months further on and a trip on the open roads of France have revealed some surprising mpg figures.

We were touring off the autoroutes and selected the GPS to shortest route and avoiding motorways, this allowed us to see more of the 'real' France but at a relaxed pace. We were amazed to watch the mpg readout climb to 65mpg, not bad for a relatively chunky car.

The secret was the roads and a light right foot, the lack of traffic meant that stop/start was replaced by just tootling along at about 45mph down some very pretty back roads and we managed to stretch every tankful to the limit.

When the car was back on the autoroute, the consumption (and speed) were totally different.

We are still very happy with the Roomster but the Superchips remap was essential to release its potential.

Tim