Rob's 2004 Octavia vRS

RobClubley

Can't stop thinking about this - as it's cutting things rather fine and I just want my car back!

I don't like to do things last-minute!

One thing I do want to make clear is that that the issues I had with mapping via STS had nothing to do with Shark's software.

There was a vac leak (which I missed despite a smoke test).

The oil pressure relief switch was gummed up, causing low oil pressure.

The second-hand LCR fuel pump I got was providing 4 BAR of pressure at idle but would not maintain the flow over 3000rpm.

Basically I needed to get it on a dyno at a place where these things could be diagnosed properly. I suspected a fueling issue but needed help to get it all sorted properly.

The place doing the new mapping has the equipment, the tuning and mechanical expertise, and the dyno. They work with a company in the UK to do the coding and mapping.

It could have been an option to get them to work with Shark but it was easier to go with their existing maps, given the working relationship already in place. Plus the time difference is always a challenge.

These are the challenges of living in a small, remote country! :D

I can't wait to feel what 400Nm and 280bhp feels like :) I will of course post the final dyno graph when I get a copy.

I just hope it's not too much for the rods. The accepted max seems to be 300bhp/300lb-ft(406Nm).

• Like 2

Ask the mapper to perform a "linear" Power/Torque map.

That way if you get a boost spike it wont produce 400nm @ 2500RPM which will pretty much ask for a rod to say "Choi!"

Im getting Nikki @ R-tech to "Extend" my map by moving my power slightly further up the rev range i might not have a gazzilion torques at low end but i ill still produce ALOT more than the standard car makes, Whilst making it butter smooth up the range.

Its the same reason my you CAN run a Gt30 setup on standard rods as it doesnt produce a fundimental amount of torque at low revs, the turbo it spooling up as the crank/rods/pistons are hitting a good point of inertia for them to cope with the torque as they are working with the torque and not against it. Obviously im not saying you can run 600hp on standard rods.

Soo Cannonball day and a bit of driving around the next morning, including about six or seven laps on track was about 400km of driving, during which we averaged an amazing 18.8mpg. The track laps took me from 1/8 above half a tank to 1/8 below!

Need to work out how to fix my new oil temp issue. After two laps it was off the end of the 150 degree gauge. And on the road when on boost over the mountains (doing around the 100kph limit) it was up to 130ish. It was 25 degrees outside today but it's still too high!

• Like 1

Just finished taking (nearly) all of the stickers off. They all came off nicely, but where the blue vinyl was, some paint and lacquer has come off. Only in the places where the car was repaired under insurance after the import damage back in 2006, so they obviously didn't do the prep properly.

Ah well, stuff happens!

And I have a new mod to fit, pics soon.

Needs a wash first.

Also going to order something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151217176500
Need to work out position and size, plus add a thermostat to the plate.

Oh yeah and on the way back it managed 8.9l/100km or about 31.7mpg. Pleased with that given the new power and torque, and several enthusiastic log truck overtakes and hill climbs :)

• Like 1

that's a sad corollary to your fab trip. but at least you have the right attitude about it.

OT a little, I am full of alcohol and miss the 'Wait for it thread'. I am watching subtitled films at this crazy hour to prove I am not of sane mind.

• Like 1

that's a sad corollary to your fab trip. but at least you have the right attitude about it.

OT a little, I am full of alcohol and miss the 'Wait for it thread'. I am watching subtitled films at this crazy hour to prove I am not of sane mind.

Maybe a couple of years ago it would have stressed me out. But it's a car. A (nearly) ten year-old car. If I want to use and enjoy it, it's not going to stay like new.

Plus I have realised that almost anything can be fixed. 

I managed to scrape the underneath (subframe bolt hitting the road edge I think) and the bumper a couple of times during our trip. I hardly cried at all :)

Maybe a couple of years ago it would have stressed me out. But it's a car. A (nearly) ten year-old car. If I want to use and enjoy it, it's not going to stay like new.

Plus I have realised that almost anything can be fixed. 

I managed to scrape the underneath (subframe bolt hitting the road edge I think) and the bumper a couple of times during our trip. I hardly cried at all :)

I parked my Vitara in a new multi story car park today and ended up stopping the entire traffic flow half way up. I had heard this terrible scraping noise and thought I must have damaged something at the front of the car or perhaps run over a plastic bollard. after a few minutes of inspecting and to the fanfare of honking motorists, I got back in and drove off. Turns out my aerial was scrapping the low roof in places and somehow the resonance sounded like it came from the from the front of the car :D

• Like 2

I know that feeling - back before I ratted my car, I had a vinyl rip a load of paint off the bonnet. It's one of those moments where you don't get angry... you just stare at it and sigh :(

Maybe it's a sign? Maybe it didn't want vinyls, perhaps it wants you to paint it properly so we can be in a music video together?

:rock:

I'd have to wear a wig though :D

• Like 2