TSI rough running

This is a bit strange, wondered if anyone else has come across it.

I know that every so often when I start the car from cold it sounds really rough. This has always gone away after just a few seconds, but this time it didn't. It continued to sound rough, as if something was vibrating. It drove as normal, no problem with power, but had that rough sound, particularly when off-throttle.

Got home (short trip) switched off, gave it a few mins and checked the oil (seemed OK), then restarted and it ran smooth as silk, no more noise.

It's due a service and I'll ask them to look at it, but has this happened to anyone else's 1.2 TSI?

Have you had a letter from the dealer saying they need to change a part on the wastegate?

A few Ibiza 1.2 TSi's have had this done under warranty, this MIGHT be what's causing it but no guarantee.

If it was misfiring you'd have a dash light up bud.

I'd get it booked in ASAP to the dealer and mention the upgraded part of the wastegate. IF the bearing in the turbo is on the way out you'll need a new turbo.

Edited by VRS-Powered

Had same sound problem, timing chain replaced under warranty, no sound.

The first job at the dealer was turbo shimming, then the sound was still there. So we were sure that that noise was coming from the chain.

Now, no issue ;)

In a Greek auto blog and in a Forum is reported that there is an issue with some 1.2Tsi (MY 2010) and some 1.4Tsi (Various M years). As article states, sometimes timing chain is getting loose and then "jumps" teeth so a weird rattling sound appears and a warning light comes on. Then the timing chain has to be replaced.

Of course the article has as source a known automotive German site.

Last time I got my car serviced (ca a month ago) nothing came up to dealers monitor, except the turbo shimming directive.

Edited by stratosg

Had same sound problem, timing chain replaced under warranty, no sound.

The first job at the dealer was turbo shimming, then the sound was still there. So we were sure that that noise was coming from the chain.

Now, no issue ;)

It was just sound that forced dealer to change your timing chain or there was a notification too ?

Well I am not sure if you are referring to 24W6 itself or 15D9 that Irfant wrote back there, because Irfant told us a few posts above that there was no notification for timing chain change, but due to annoying sound they performed 15D9.

When I had my car booked for the two (02) years - 30.000Km service, my dealer inserted my VIN to his information system and system replied that 24W6 recall, notification, service action or what ever is called, had to be performed in addition.

Well after ten (10) years and three Skoda cars this is the first time I feel unsecure and anxious about my car's future state. It is the first time I am thinking that I made a wrong choice and the first time that I am thinking not to buy a Skoda car again. I realise that every car brand has their problems too but so many problem - bug reports in such a short time interval is something that makes me feel weird.

I insist though, that as an action of good will, Skoda-auto is able to, and maybe should, create an online customer care service that would allow owners to enter their VIN and be directly informed for any actions - notificationd - recalls, or what ever is called the car should have to follow. If you think it is impossible, just think of your Ipad, Iphone, Windows, Antivirus software etc. that are subjected to update availability checks every time they are connected to the Internet, or the flexibility we have to enter our product's name or number in order to download a new device driver, or to send an SMS to our telephone provider and be informed about our bill, or using e-banking to manage assets.

Imagine the example below ....

Enter VIN : TMBBX.......

bleep bleeep bleeep and then...

ACTION : 24W6

RISK : Moderate, please contact your local as soon as possible dealer for more information.

or

ACTION : ECU update available.

RISK : Low, please contact your local dealer.

or

ACTION : No action required.

Of course to be fair, something like that requires that customers - owners will keep servicing their cars inside Skoda's dealer network.

Edited by stratosg
  • Like 3

A small note, no increase on fuel consumption after ECU update.

Yesterday I drove a 100 km on highway (50 km gone and back the same way, generally 7th gear, 80 km speed, no traffic), consumption 4.2 liters/100 km

dsc3836.jpg

Edited by irfant

A small note, no increase on fuel consumption after ECU update.

Yesterday I drove a 100 km on highway (50 km gone and back the same way, generally 7th gear, 80 km speed, no traffic), consumption 4.2 liters/100 km

Aaaahhhh!!!! The great 7th gear. Mine in 5th gear (manual gearbox) returns ~5.3Lt / 100Km.

This is a bit strange, wondered if anyone else has come across it.

I know that every so often when I start the car from cold it sounds really rough. This has always gone away after just a few seconds, but this time it didn't. It continued to sound rough, as if something was vibrating. It drove as normal, no problem with power, but had that rough sound, particularly when off-throttle.

Got home (short trip) switched off, gave it a few mins and checked the oil (seemed OK), then restarted and it ran smooth as silk, no more noise.

It's due a service and I'll ask them to look at it, but has this happened to anyone else's 1.2 TSI?

Maybe you should ask your dealer to check the sound insulation of some hoses (not sure which hoses, but the dealers know)

More problems with these new small TSI engines ?

I haven't read a lot of owners having serious faults, no engine failures. All we've had are no worse issues than any other new engine VAG has ever produced; the odd sensor, turbo shim. General reliability of them has been excelent IMO.

Car is back, cam chain replaced, service done, running sweet as a nut. Excellent :D

I'm wondering if an ECU update has been done as it feels like it comes on boost smoother than before and 1st gear is more willing now. Still I'm now curious to see what JKM's dyno recons the power output is :)