Still NO competitors!

Hirundo

…all the topics here, like "Another Yeti alternative", "New Yeti rival" "Yet another competitor"… :dull:

Ok, I'm talking about design only, but...

I made a quick "list" of (most of) the so called Yeti competitors or rivals. In B&W - no colour distractions – just pure shape:

TheList.jpg

...and - there is (still) only ONE car that looks/is different. I'm quite sure the others will look outdated in a couple of years, but not this one. (As "Johann" said: "It is honest. No flippery to its design")

Classic from the day it was born!

Yay! :beer:

Edited by Hirundo
  • Like 2

I sometimes think I may have bought mine as it reminded me of my old Prairie, £8000 new, kept 21 years, 184000 miles No faults or problems.

Even almost the same colour, someone thought I had found another one. But would I swap the Yeti for another Parairie NAH!!

prairie.jpg

Yes, it's the only one that looks like a CDV (car-derived van). That's a statement of fact rather than a critique. But - as a sweeping generalisation - I'm not sure how many people buy Skodas for their visual appeal, it's much more often the value and capabilities of the overall package.

I do wish that Skoda could acquire a better body stylist. Not that I'm wanting the Yeti to look like a Tiguan or Kuga or whatever, but it would be nice if the front half of the Yeti didn't look like it came from a completely different design team to the rear half and, for my money, looked a bit more well functional. It's not as if the Yeti is such a large 4x4 that the height etc needs to be disguised by unnecessary styling embellishments. And I couldn't care less whether it's got the family nose - why is this so important to car marques - I go to buy an individual model not the whole damn family!

Edited by prodata

I hear the new Yeti is launched Autumn 2013! A new Skoda Rapid, a new Octavia too for 2013, anybody seen what the new Yeti will look like?

…all the topics here, like "Another Yeti alternative", "New Yeti rival" "Yet another competitor"… :dull:

I made a quick "list" of (most of) the so called Yeti competitors or rivals. In B&W - no colour distractions – just pure shape:

TheList.jpg

...and - there is (still) only ONE car that looks/is different. I'm quite sure the others will look outdated in a couple of years, but not this one. (As "Johann" said: "It is honest. No flippery to its design")

What a great idea - and brilliantly presented. Well done that Yetiman.

• Like 1

And where did you here that date?

Design and it's perception is surprisingly complicated, as has been proved here already. Look at some of the things "prodata" has said:

""CDV (car-derived van)"" : to be that says the Citreon, Peugeot or Fiat Doblo efforts, which literally are vans with seats and windows, or even the Skoda Roomster. Whilst the Yeti has the "squareness" of those, to me it doesn't have the van like feeling, possibly because the roof is lower.

""front half of the Yeti didn't look like it came from a completely different design team to the rear half"" : I would disagree. I actually think the design flows well along the length of the car, especially the floating screen pillar and C post. Compared, again, to the Roomster it appears "one piece"

""functional"" : that was the one thing that struck me about the Yeti; that it was functional. Wheels in each corner, adequate ground clearance, big doors, square estare back. Everything I needed.

""unnecessary styling embellishments"": Has it got any? Again it was one of the things that attracted me to it. It came across as a car with no impractical decoration, and just what I wanted.

• Like 2

I was shown an internal document at Mitchell Skoda on Tuesday this week, it had all the release dates for the next 18 months, so quite a reliable source.

Here are pictures http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-new-cars/Search-Results/Spyshots/Skoda-Snowman-and-Yeti-Mk2-two-new-Skoda-4x4s/

The new Yeti looks like a Tiguan.

James, see my reply in your other thread, but there is nothing very new there.

The Yeti/Tiguan cross-breed is their idea of the supoposed Snowman or "Super Yeti", and the darker silver Yeti mash-up has been posted in numerous magasines for some six months or more.

The fact they were in Car is no evidence of actuallity I'm afraid. Now if you can get a copy of the actual Skoda document...............

""front half of the Yeti didn't look like it came from a completely different design team to the rear half"" : I would disagree. I actually think the design flows well along the length of the car, especially the floating screen pillar and C post. Compared, again, to the Roomster it appears "one piece"

Sorry we're going to disagree 2000% on that particular point.

""functional"" : that was the one thing that struck me about the Yeti; that it was functional. Wheels in each corner, adequate ground clearance, big doors, square estare back. Everything I needed.

Yes functional wasn't the best choice of word and I would mostly agree about the rear. But the front - to my eye of course - is anything but functional and a stylistic nightmare.

""unnecessary styling embellishments"": Has it got any?

No! (not aft of the A pillar at least) Sorry, my rant wasn't well-expressed there. I was thinking of different vehicles from the Yeti like the CRV for instance - but there are several other examples, eg Qasqai - where the stylists have tried (but totally failed) to disguise a larger 4x4 silhouette by trying to make it more car-like.

Prodata,

I wasn't criticising you, what I was pointing out was as I stated; "Design and it's perception is surprisingly complicated" In my eyes the design of the Roomster is one of the worst I have ever seen. That certainly seems to have been designed by two teams who had been given different parameters to meet.

I don't start me on the Joke!!

• Like 1

An update nowadays usually means a couple of extra creases, more lighting adornments and chrome bezels around the dashboard air outlets..... :happy:

I'm with you Graham, I think the Yeti is a great looking little car, from any angle. Yes it's quirky, and different - but very much in a good way. I love the front end (foglights and all), and realised when following one the other day that the back end looks great too.

• Like 1

I'm normally pretty good at identifying cars, but I really struggled with those. I think I recognise the Qashqai and SX4, and I'm pretty sure the X1 isn't on there, but otherwise....

So I agree that the Yeti is a timeless, distinctive, practical and simple design.

Mark

TheList.jpg

The one other car that does look at least a bit different here is the Suzuki SX4, which has been gaining some plaudits in other threads on this site. My wife has had an SX4 (sz5, 4x4 trim) for about six months now, and likes it ver y much. I'm quite a fan too, although the petrol engine feels very underpowered compared with my 170 diesel Yeti!

Agreed, the only two that stand out are the Suzi and the Yeti. All the rest have this "squashed", small windowed, sloping rear end

That is one of the reasons I detest the Evoque.

It looks like an elephant has sat on the roof!

Eye of the beholder I suppose?

Went and had a squizz at the Mazda CX-5 today, just to be nosey. Nice car. Will i buy one when the time comes to change my Yeti? Probably not, but it is the only one so far that has come close.

Went and had a squizz at the Mazda CX-5 today, just to be nosey. Nice car. Will i buy one when the time comes to change my Yeti? Probably not, but it is the only one so far that has come close.

Like you, I was intrigued and test drove one today. Here are my findings http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/238920-a-yeti-alternative/page__view__findpost__p__2809028