Boost Pipe Self Tappers

Just for those who've fixed their boost hoses together with self tappers, what size screws did you use?

Did you drill pilot holes?

Has it held together well?

I'm loathed to pay circa £250 for replacements, and I really can't afford to be spending that much at the minute.

i used 2 small screws, not sure of size, one at the back and one at the front of the pipe as one screw didnt quite hold it but 2 have worked, never had a blow off since.

oh and yeah, definitely drill pilot holes so you can clear any plastic out the pipe before putting the screws in.

Edited by KTP

Lol. I thought about doing that but didn't think it would work.

Where would you put them through? Through the metal colar on the pipe and plastic connector on the other side?

Might do this as I've lost a bit of confidence about booting it due to worry of hoses popping off!

Phil

mine are on the same bit of plastic that the clip is on, where the pipe meets the intercooler (i think).

mine got to the point where it was not lining up with the clips properly so blew off quite easily, tried everything i could think of short of changing the pipes until i decided to put in some screws, wasnt all that keen on the idea at first but it actually worked.

Well job done today :)

Went for a decent test drive ;)

Seems to have held together pretty well.

Put a blob of araldite around the screws as well to stop them ever leaking or coming apart.

IMAG0041.jpg

Put a blob of araldite around the screws as well to stop them ever leaking or coming apart.

and if you need to do any maintenance thats needs you to split the joint? :thumbdown:

and if you need to do any maintenance thats needs you to split the joint? :thumbdown:

I'll just undo the one above and one below.

The clips were knackered on that one so had no choice really.

Highly unlikely any maintenance will need that joint splitting. The only maintenance would be to re-clip it together and I don't think its coming apart now :D

And personally, its what I would in the same scenario, only I have no stock boost clips left in my system now. If I did have stock ones, I think they'd be full of self tappers by now.

• 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Disconnect the pipe and take it off as one piece by removing the clip at the EGR and the clip behind the headlight.

Drill three pilot holes and then fit self tapping screws into the joint as per the above picture.

I think I then rinsed the pipe out with a hose to remove any bits of metal swarf that were in there.

Problem solved forever :)

Buying an aftermarket silicone boost pipe and hard pipe kit is the best £280 I spent on the car. If you self tap to the intercooler, it has plastic joint. The new intercooler will be a similar price to all those aftermarket boost pipes if you knacker it.

I replaced the top pipes and bottom boost pipes either side of intercooler on separate days. 

For each replacement there was a definitive improvement. 

If things go wrong I still have my old boost pipes BLT engine.