Bumpy ride

On the rougher pot-holed and patched local roads my octavia 08 is quite bumpy, and frankly a bit annoying to drive. I've really noticed since my own street has been recently resurfaced, where the bumpiness has reduced.

Is this a known issue with octavias, or is there something I should be looking at. It might be the shock absorbers I guess as there isn't that much bounce at the back when pushed, but also wondering if it might be something like wheel alignment as there are some slight signs of uneven tyre wear? I'm getting this checked next week. Any other thoughts please?

Cheers

Adam

Wheels are heavy, suspension arms are heavy, brakes are heavy - I guess it all adds up. 16 inch wheels are far less bumpy. The extra profile helps too.

Off the bumpy surface though the handling is pretty good.

You should try a Renault Laguna 3 2.0 Diesel (150hp) with 16 inch wheels and Michelin Eco tyres. You can feel every spot of gravel embedded in the tarmac! The car shakes going over cats eyes... It does go round corners very well though.

Ordered an Octavia L&K 160 TSI DSG back in January, provisional build week 25. Should be worth waiting for.

Jonno

If you have 17" wheels chances are you also have the lowered sports suspension which came as an option togther. I have the same and whilst handling is great on smooth B roads it jars over cats eyes and pot holes. I changed my shocks to Koni FSD's with Eibach springs a few years ago which has helped but still shakes over rough ground.

If you have 17" wheels chances are you also have the lowered sports suspension which came as an option togther.

This is correct, however the L&K comes from the factory with 17" alloys and non-sports suspension as standard.

There is an Octavia owner who wnats to trade his 17" Pegasus for my 16" Proximas as he says it´s to harsh the ride over rough roads.

That owner is over 50, you´re not having that over 50 crisis are you :giggle:

Edited by alberg

My '08 vRS is way better damped than my previous car ('55-reg Astra). It does transmit bumps, but with far less of a jolt with single bumps such as speed bumps, and a less jiggly ride over poor surfaces. What does bug me is the cabin is very squeaky when it does this - it's as if the entire interior doesn't quite fit the shell and is moving around. I only notice it if the radio is off, and maybe it's just things have expanded in the recent hot spell and it'll settle down? (wishful thinking!).

• 2 years later...

My 05 octavia estate is the worst car i have ever owned in respect of rough ride on uneven surfaces and speed humps feel like i am driving over breeze blocks - shame realy as the car is fantastic in most other respects