Trip to Italy in the Octavia

Now that we have had the Octavia for a few months, we are only a couple of weeks away from its first major test - a trip to Italy via France and Switzerland. I have a couple of jobs to do before then - oil service, rear brakes, but apart from that I am just about ready. Although I have done this trip before, we shall be averaging around 400 niles per day for three days, then resting, and then making our way back with a couple of four day stops.

I have all the usual European equipment - bulbs, fluo jackets, warning triangles, and the now obligatory couple of packs of disposable breathalysers. I will also take a few basic tools, and arrange European assistance and insurance for the trip.

The Octavia is averaging around 50MPG at the moment - 500 plus per tank (not near emptying it), and I said to the BiL (who has a petrol Megane), that I reckoned I could get to Italy on a tankful - around 580 miles. He simply laughed at me when I suggested that on a run with only one stop, I should be able to get well over 600 miles on a tankful. Well, we shall see.

I would be grateful of any suggestions/advice/up to date information which I may need for this trip.

Cheers,

Andy

Enjoy your trip,

As for getting down on one tank???

It might be possible on a 1.9, are you shaw it's only 580 miles to Italy? When we went to Nice it was 750 miles from Calais.

I managed 550 miles to a tank in my 2.0 tdi dsg at an avarage of about 80mph, so you should get 600 miles with a light foot.

• Like 1

I went from monchengladbach in Germany to Plymouth, about 530 miles on a tank full of fuel.

I still had some left in the tank, so might make it. good luck on the trip let us know how you get on.

Brethalysers are only compulsory in France and only if you are on a french registered car, so you do not need them.

And you should try to avoid the expensive french motorways going via LILLE MONS CHARLEROI LUXEMBOURG (diesel will be approx 1,20 there) METZ NANCY EPINAL MULHOUSE BASEL LUZERN GOTTHARD LUGANO AND INTO ITALY. Mostly free motorways and dual carriageways except about 50 km on slow roads between Epinal and Moulhouse.

Totally tolls free, but you'll have to buy the swiss motorway sticker that allows you to go on their motorways(alternative roads are very slow).

Then in Italy it depends where you are going.

[

Brethalysers are only compulsory in France and only if you are on a french registered car, so you do not need them.

Can you give some evidence for this? I was just about to buy some for my upcoming trip on all the current advice.

I'm planning a trip out to the italian lakes in october, but I won't be doing it on one tank of fuel :giggle:

Plan is to drive out through France on the Sunday, stay overnight in Geneva or somewhere close, then take a day doing as many alpine passes as I can on the Monday on my way to my hotel just near Lake Maggiore. I then have 4 days at a very boring conference followed by a nice drive back home.

Best thing is, as its a work trip the fuel and tolls are on expenses :D

• Like 1

You DO need a breathalyser but make sure if you get one it's suitable for France as their limit is lower than ours.

http://www.theaa.com...ance-monaco.pdf

It isn't being sanctioned until 1st Nov anyway so not a worry. I wont be taking any next week.

It isn't being sanctioned until 1st Nov anyway so not a worry. I wont be taking any next week.

I thought that it was being sanctioned from 1st July?

Anyway, I have a couple of packs.

We are staying in Colmar, France first night, then on to Bologna, then on to Sorrento.

I thought that it was being sanctioned from 1st July?

Anyway, I have a couple of packs.

We are staying in Colmar, France first night, then on to Bologna, then on to Sorrento.

New regulation – Breathalysers – effective 1st July 2012, sanctioned 1st Nov 2012

As of the 1st July 2012 it will be compulsory for drivers of all motor vehicles including motorcyclists, excluding mopeds to carry a breathalyser in their vehicle while travelling in France. This will not be enforced until the 1st November 2012, where persons failing to produce a breathalyser will receive a fine on the spot of €11.

The breathalyser has to be a certified by the French authorities, showing an ‘NF’ number.

The official text states that one unused certified breathalyser must be produced. We recommend that two single-use breathalysers are carried, so if one is used or damaged you will still have a replacement to produce.

• Like 2

Enjoy your trip,

As for getting down on one tank???

It might be possible on a 1.9, are you shaw it's only 580 miles to Italy? When we went to Nice it was 750 miles from Calais.

I managed 550 miles to a tank in my 2.0 tdi dsg at an avarage of about 80mph, so you should get 600 miles with a light foot.

Really weird, when I do the AA route planner, Nice comes out at 836 miles, whereas that Italian border is just short of 600 miles????

I am going to take on extra fuel just short of Italy, or maybe in Colmar, to get us to Bologna, then a top up to get us to Sorrento.

Diesel is cheap in France but really OTT in Italy so we have to be careful - park the car in our Italian stops and walk (that should get a few pounds off us and help the fuel consumption).

I will try to post some piccies - had a mini camcorder in mind, but I am pretty useless at that, and it will end up like "come dine with me " or "coach trip "

New regulation – Breathalysers – effective 1st July 2012, sanctioned 1st Nov 2012

As of the 1st July 2012 it will be compulsory for drivers of all motor vehicles including motorcyclists, excluding mopeds to carry a breathalyser in their vehicle while travelling in France. This will not be enforced until the 1st November 2012, where persons failing to produce a breathalyser will receive a fine on the spot of €11.

The breathalyser has to be a certified by the French authorities, showing an ‘NF’ number.

The official text states that one unused certified breathalyser must be produced. We recommend that two single-use breathalysers are carried, so if one is used or damaged you will still have a replacement to produce.

So, we are legal, though it seems that they want to see moped riders squashed!!!!!!

My wife fancies going back to Lake Garda and that looks stunning.

A quick play on google - UK -> Lake Garda -> Pisa -> Rome -> San Marino -> Innsbruck, Austria -> Munich Germany -> Nuremberg -> Dortmund -> Eindhoven in Holland -> Gent in Belgium then back again. That, apparently is a nice round 3000 miles, 48 hours straight driving. Split that over a number of weeks (3?) with appropriate camping breaks etc...

My wife fancies going back to Lake Garda and that looks stunning.

A quick play on google - UK -> Lake Garda -> Pisa -> Rome -> San Marino -> Innsbruck, Austria -> Munich Germany -> Nuremberg -> Dortmund -> Eindhoven in Holland -> Gent in Belgium then back again. That, apparently is a nice round 3000 miles, 48 hours straight driving. Split that over a number of weeks (3?) with appropriate camping breaks etc...

That is a fairly long and complicated run, We did Lake Garda about 8 years ago, and stayed in Strasbourg (lovely place) for a couple of nights, then South of Milan for a night, then a place on the hills above Garda - San Zino di Montagno - which was great. We went back via Turin and Burgundy (4 nights), and thoroughly enjoyed the trip. If you go to Lake Garda, then please go to the opera in Verona at the Roman Arena - unbelievable!

We're off to Austria next month. Ferry Newcastle-Amsterdam then stopping at Würzburg (nr Frankfurt) before heading down to Abtenau (Nr Salzburg). Day trips to Slovenia (Ljubljana) and Italy (Trieste) planned so will be adding just a few miles to the clock.

Was looking into putting XL tyres on the rear to help with the added weight of 2 adults + 2 kids + roof box + full boot (No bike rack this time) but not sure if I need bother doing so. Just concerned about the weight on the rear tyres over such a distance.

Thoughts anyone...

Another warning for France. It is also illegal to use Sat Nav with speed camera warnings. It can be upto 1500 euros fine. Just make sure you disable it while in France (not just via the GUI, but you have to connect it to your PC and disable it that way). A french colleague has told me the Police aren't allowed to check your satnav, they are only allowed to ask you but I would not risk it.

Its that bad that if your car has built in sat nav, you have to take it to the manufacturer to get it disabled.

Just did a quick economy check on the car, after filling it up today. I had done 510 miles since the last fill up, and the needle was just on the red (fuel warning light not on). It took 48 litres to fill it to the brim. The miles included 11 days of 42 miles driving to work for my wife (21 miles each way, mixture of motorway, country lanes and town) and odd little runs. I reckon that 600 miles would be easily achievable, particularly with just one o/night stop. I will aslo have to fill up in Switzerland in order to take advantage of their low fuel prices - diesel 1 Euro 20 a litre!!!

Another warning for France. It is also illegal to use Sat Nav with speed camera warnings. It can be upto 1500 euros fine. Just make sure you disable it while in France (not just via the GUI, but you have to connect it to your PC and disable it that way). A french colleague has told me the Police aren't allowed to check your satnav, they are only allowed to ask you but I would not risk it.

Its that bad that if your car has built in sat nav, you have to take it to the manufacturer to get it disabled.

I had heard that as well, but I am old school, and use real maps and AA route planners, as well as the stars and which way the cows are pointing (that may be weather related though :rain: )

I had heard that as well, but I am old school, and use real maps and AA route planners, as well as the stars and which way the cows are pointing (that may be weather related though :rain: )

Does the rule also cover AA atlas with speed camera sites marked in it ;-)

• Like 1

Did two weeks in Brittany slightly concerned as to whether switching off the camera function would comply with the law with regard to owning a sat nav with camera detection,in reality i never saw any police on the road at all. I was told by my English Gite owner that it only applied to radar detectors , other said it did apply to sat navs, the only thing I was told to watch out for is when you come to a stop sign you MUST stop even if the road is clear, the police motor cyclist do watch from a distance as will impose a spot fine as it is easy way of earning brownie points,

• Like 1

Sounds a nice trip.

I regularly visit Frankfurt/M, 414 miles from Dunkerque. I can do that on a tankful. Cruise about 80-85, odd bit of 90+ to relive the boredom. You will find at those sorts of speeds you are among the slow group on an autobahn. Computer says mid 40's or slightly higher. Takes about 6hrs and Mulouse (near Colmar) is about another 3-3.5hrs as traffic on the A5 can be bad at times. I did do Frankfurt/M to Riva Del Garda via Ingolstadt a couple of times - about eight hours from memory. You pass the Audi expo thing, which you may consider a worthwhile stop off. Stayed in Arco just north of Riva in a very nice Agroturistico and there was an excellent restrauant round the corner, Neither really budget, but good value compared to the places in Riva itself. Austrians have a Vigentte system too. From Arco to final destination Sarnarno, about another 300 miles or 5-6 hrs depending on traffic. Bad from Modena to Rimini especially round Bologna.

Just returned from the south of France and due to time constraints had to use the autoroute from Bellene (nearset on) to St Omer.(Le Cygne, great restaurant ). Apart from torrential rain round Lyon - a really horrid place to traverse - with the enivitable accident. Fortunately the emphasis was on getting the road clear, not trying to choose who to nick, so never actually stopped and only "lost" about 5 mins. Away, won't complain about the Swiss Vingette M'way pass any more as the cost in tolls was over £54.

So 9oo miles+ and your not even at your destination which is a further 5ish hrs. More or less 1200 miles, its a fair way.

My friend who owns the place in Sarnarno, prefers to drive down in one hit. With his wife and dog on board, there is always a mutiny so a stop is called for. I always try to take my time and enjoy the drive, which invariably adds a few miles sidetraking. Takes a couple extra days, but I don't need a day and a half in bed to get over the journey. Its all part of my travels

Have a good time.

• Like 1

My friend who owns the place in Sarnarno, prefers to drive down in one hit. With his wife and dog on board, there is always a mutiny so a stop is called for. I always try to take my time and enjoy the drive, which invariably adds a few miles sidetraking. Takes a couple extra days, but I don't need a day and a half in bed to get over the journey. Its all part of my travels

Have a good time.

Love it Nick, particularly the "mutiny" bit, which is what I often get accused of - "You are kidnapping me!" - when I insist on doing too many miles in one hit.

We used to make up all of our holidays, simply booking a crossing, then stopping at a place then chancing a stay for the night or more, and we were lucky, more so than when we pre booked a hotel. The advantage over sailing or flying is obvious, you get to see more of the places you visit, really sample the life and culture.

My only real worry, is the long drag from Bologna, along the A1 motorway to Naples, then the minor road to Sorrento, but I guess an early start will be the best idea, and then chill out on the drive.

There is no advantage if you top up with diesel in Switzerland, you will pay the equivalent of 1 euro 60 at least.Where is 1 euro 20 coming from?

The best places on your way are France and the cheapest Luxembourg (BT ultimate diesel at less than 1 euro 30 even on motorways).

Price of diesel in Switzerland and Italy are similar, petrol is cheaper in Switzerland, but not diesel.

Petrol stations on suisse motorways will be more expensive so avoid.

Navigators with fixed camera position are ok in France, but you cannot travel with Coyotes or similar devices that can spot mobile radars.

If I go on the AA site then there seems to be a lot of misinformation with diesel in France priced at 1.46 Euros, when in fact the official French site (which covers most stations across France) shows a very different picture:

http://www.prix-carburants.economie.gouv.fr/index.php?module=dbgestion&action=fsearch

I will try to get the link back, which showed Switzerland to be the second cheapest country in Europe for diesel after Hungary.