Tailgate rust issue

I have found the smallest tiniest spot of rust (I mean miniscule) around the common area on the tailgate above the numberplate. Obviously these things always start from behind so what I cannot see is probably worse, this is on my 2003 Octavia - is it too late to have anything done about it?

Edited by Gtiracer

I think the bodywork corrosion guarantee is 10 or 12 years.

Is it an estate or hatch? I know it's a fairly common problem on estates, search in this section for 'corrosion' and you should get a load of threads on it.

HI

I have a vrs estate and have tried to get my rust problems sorted under warranty. Was told that the other owners should have reported the problem before hand, so would not be covered. octavia estates have a big problem with rust on tail tailgates. they SHOULD RECALL THEM but they wont!!! they told me there is no problem with the tailgates rusting !!! yeah right!! Every one I have seen are rusty!!! Its a shame!! thats the only bit of rust on mine. rest of her is mint! COME ON SKODA UK !!! SORT IT!!!

My '03 estate had a small patch of rust (just below the bottom right of the glasswork) at five years old, which I mentioned at an annual service. They replaced the tailgate under the anti-corrosion warranty. From what I remember that was six years, unlike warranties on newer Skodas with the three year paint & ten year anti-corrosion. No sign of any further rust when I part-exed the car earlier this month.

My '04 estate is bubbling with rust under the edge of the glass all the way along the tailgate and same here its the only rust showing anywhere.

In trying to improve the appearance I've run some 20mm black electrical tape over the glass/tailgate gap. (On a dry day to eliminate trapping water)

I'm not sure how long it will look good for but its a heck of an improvement for now :)

Same I have a Vrs estate and right hand side again now I read in the practical performance car mk1 Vrs write up that the tailgate rust issue should be a recall but when I spoke to skoda they told me no, so to Stop the rust speeding I masked off a rectangle sanded it back primed it and sprayed it with satin black untill I decided what I wanted to do now I have a sticker over it but no rust issues yet and it's been well over a year now I'm thinking I might just blow the whole lot in red again as I have some tiny pin ***** rust under the number plate

just had mine done on a vrs estate,all for free on a 03 with 61000 miles

who by? which branch and what did you have to do, just ask once or keep on persisting?

Edited by Gtiracer

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My fabia tailgate is rusting around the lip, but its exactly where it had some accident damage repaired a little while back, so suspect it wasn't done right. Long term I am going to be changing to a carbon fibre bootlid, so I might just sand down the area affected and give a quick rattle can spray to remove the bubbles....

• Like 1

I've a little on my hatchback, under the handle, 2004 model plan on trying Skoda in the next couple of weeks for the warranty :)

If not its no big deal, you can only see it if you look up towards the handle/plate lights so will sort it myself

I haven't done it yet, but yep that's my understanding, you go to a dealers (Skoda, not drugs :angel: ) and tell them you ant to claim, they have a look and take some photos which then get sent to Skoda main, if it goes ahead from there the next thing is a paint depth test, if there has been previous work on that panel then the warrenty is void.

That's all just from what I've read, as I say I haven't been yet

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I made a phone call to my local dealers and said I had rust. Then I took it to the bodyshop for them to look and take photos and paint depth readings. They had to see the vehicle to make sure it was well maintained and not a POS that had been parked in the ocean. They sook a few paint depth readings and milage and general condition comments and photos and sent it all off. I had to chase mind you, I think they thought I would go away. It took 2 months for me, but others had approvals sooner.