Skoda Rapid Now on Skoda UK Website

Thought it was smaller?

I should hope so being as it's based on the fabia platform ;)

I do not get the design of the front. That will not grow on me, not sure it will on anyone else either.

It doesn't need to grow on me because i like it.

Looks OK but engines too small to consider as a replacement for my 1.8TSi Octy. Its the new Octy I'd like to see..Replacement due Jan and it looks like I'm going to have to consider something else. New V40 Volvo looks good but boot a bit on the small side after the Octy. Superb possibly a bit big and Yeti only has 4x4 on bigger engines so heavy fuel consumption. Decisions Decisions!

The platform is simply a stretched version of the Polo / Fabia, so almost as long as the current Octavia but not as wide, plenty of leg and boot space but not much shoulder room if carrying three in the back.

The shape is similar to that of the Superb, it looks like a saloon but is infact a hatchback.

It's designed to be bargain basement though so no options like xenon's etc. at least for now...

The new Octavia MkIII is supposed to bigger than today's Octy, I think it will be worth the wait...

In the pictures, the cluster seems to glow blue (IIRC VW's favourite).

Stereo looks like a Bolero, with an extra knob in the middle, but shows navigation too.

Given the "norm" is to show off the top model in the range: no auto-lights.

Any ideas on the amber light above the hazard switch?

To me, the bonnet looks like the Languna:

3917072_1.jpeg

Seems the range is becoming crowded though, even if Octy3 is bigger than Octy2, so is the Rapid. Almost feels like the Rapid is a budget version of Octy3, perhaps in an attempt to raise Octy3's profile? (i.e. the entry-level Octy3 will be far from basic)

Edited by RainbowFore

The orange light above the hazard light switch is another FOC item from the VAG parts bin, it's the 'airbag off' light.

Only three rear parking sensors too, not the normal four.

Got to say that's doing nothing for me and the new Octy will be too big so Yeti or another marque next time for me.

I should hope so being as it's based on the fabia platform ;)

Really? Oh dear. Based on my experience of the Fabia platform (I still get to drive the Wifes VRS now and then) it's a stodgy mess that handles like a bathtub. Too vague, wallowy and crashy (despite the poor ride quality due to being stiff and running on low-ish profiles) although all that pig iron over the front axle doesn't help.

Marginally assisted by the addition of a Whiteline RARB but that just helped the weight bias when cornering and induced a little oversteer. It's what made me go "hmm" when I saw the specs of the TSI VRS Fabia. More power in a less than perfect chassis setup.....

They should have used the Octavia platform and just shortened it ala A3 / Golf IMO. Would make for a sharper drive.