Michelin PS3

Anyone used these on their vRS? Any good?

Came 2nd in the AutoExpress tyre test this year.

http://www.autoexpre...ot_sport_3.html

Camskill have them for £105.70 which seems very good having looked briefly around. Anyone ordered from here before?

http://www.camskill....0R18_92W_XL_TL_

Final question, my current tyres are speed rating Y rated for over 186mph but the PS3s are a speed rating W for upto 168mph. Clearly I won't be going that fast ever but how important is it that I maintain the same speed rating as the factory fitted cars? What are the insurance implications?

Edited by Guest

Hi,

They are good, but usualy quite dear.... Say £130 - £150

Have them on the front of my mk2 VRS grip is good in dry, damp so so but with 200bhp wouldn't expect to much more.

I'd say a good buy at that price and size.

I also had these on my old A6 avant... Excellent grip (though was Quattro) only managed to get 13k out of them but car was heavy and went well around corners at speed.

For £106 + shipping think that's a good price for Michelin tyres in size 18"

Rob.

Edited by Rob T

I have them on my vrs diesel, i changed from the premacy's to the ps3's. My own opion of them is that the premacys are a better tyre than the ps3's, they seem to break away more easily than the premacy's when pulling away going through the gears.

Had them on my vRS, and really liked them. They gripped well and seemed to last. They suited fast road driving, but.... If I was thinking of tires for a more aggressive driving style, then I may have stayed with T1R's as I don't think they'd have lasted an longer and Toyos were much cheaper.

I'm running Rainsport 2's on the MX at the moment and loving them, but I suspect there going to wear swiftly too!

Great all round tyre. If the car spec is W then that's all you need, irrespective of what you have done to it - the tyre rating is based on the original vehicle homologation, a remap does not require a vehicle re-homologation. If it's capable of greater than 168mph and you plan on smashing your way through Germany then you might want to reconsider this of course :)

Yup, good tyre, but that's not a particularly unusual price of it's delivered and not fitted (add at least a tenner a corner for fitting): Black Circle are pretty much the same price, and that was the first tyre page I went to check!

Got them on my L&K but shortly i'm gonna try the new Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2's as they're coming across as amazing in all the tests & reviews by magazines AND by personal owners!

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

Had the old design on my G60 and they were very good, so hopefully they'll be as good if not better.

Oh, other thing to be aware of is that a lot of tyre places, good as well as bad, aren't too keen on sticking tyres bought elsewhere on your car. They'll normally do it quite happily, but if there's a problem, you can sometimes be stuffed cos they can't guarantee where the tyres came from or if they were bought cheap from a car boot cos they're a bit B grade, if you get me, or summat like that, whereas if you buy them from the fitter, a problem will be rectified easily!

Rare, but just be warned!

Edited by blackspaven

Great all round tyre. If the car spec is W then that's all you need, irrespective of what you have done to it - the tyre rating is based on the original vehicle homologation, a remap does not require a vehicle re-homologation. If it's capable of greater than 168mph and you plan on smashing your way through Germany then you might want to reconsider this of course :)

Original spec is Y. Wasn't wondering because of mods but for insurance purposes mainly.

They have it in a Y spec too not much more expensive Only £2. I was always under the impression you had to go with the same spec as manufacturer for insurance purposes.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s134p69305/MICHELIN_TYRES_CAR_MICHELIN_PILOT_SPORT_3_MICHELIN_PS3_-_225_40R18_%2892Y%29_XL_TL_

They have it in a Y spec too not much more expensive Only £2. I was always under the impression you had to go with the same spec as manufacturer for insurance purposes.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s134p69305/MICHELIN_TYRES_CAR_MICHELIN_PILOT_SPORT_3_MICHELIN_PS3_-_225_40R18_%2892Y%29_XL_TL_

this is a correct little known fact!

Anyone gone from ps3 to super sports?

At £140 a piece they seem pretty good for the performance they offer? Don't think they are any good in cold weather though.

Anyone gone from ps3 to super sports?

At £140 a piece they seem pretty good for the performance they offer? Don't think they are any good in cold weather though.

No good in cold weather, feck all use to me living here then.

Ordered the PS3s for £442 delivered. Will cost me £40 for fitting. Looking forward to trying them out now.

Can anyone tell me what the standard tread depth should be on a new tyre? The PS3s have arrived and they are about 7mm, perhaps 8mm max in the middle section. Sure the standard was 10mm?

Can anyone tell me what the standard tread depth should be on a new tyre? The PS3s have arrived and they are about 7mm, perhaps 8mm max in the middle section. Sure the standard was 10mm?

8mm in the middle, falling to the edges to around 7mm. truck/light vans are 10mm

Had the PS3's but now gone to F1's as an experiment. Also about £15 a corner cheaper in the end.

PS3's were not bad - a good all rounder and wore well. Not bad grip in the dry (although as already stated they did break away when booting it through the gears whereas the F1's don't). Wet grip was ok too. Good feedback and progressive so on wet B roads you knew where you stood. Yet to test the F1's in similar circumstances.

Had the PS3's but now gone to F1's as an experiment. Also about £15 a corner cheaper in the end.

PS3's were not bad - a good all rounder and wore well. Not bad grip in the dry (although as already stated they did break away when booting it through the gears whereas the F1's don't). Wet grip was ok too. Good feedback and progressive so on wet B roads you knew where you stood. Yet to test the F1's in similar circumstances.

Tyrereview compare the F1 to the Mich super sport, the PS3 is below the SSport, so if you consider the PS3 has good feedback and is progressive (something Mich struggle with) then this should be improved with the F1. .

Yeah I never felt like I wasn't in touch with what was going on even if I've had better wet grip with things like the Rainsports (albeit on the Fabia) - those were soft on the sidewalls though and flexed a lot, and bulged if you hit a pothole rendering them dead and needing replacement.

I've just had to go and reduce the pressures in the F1's as they were all at about 34.5 psi (set by the fitter the other day) which explains the slightly jiggly feeling I've had since they were put on - way too hard for my liking. Next time I'm on my B road test section I'll see how the F1's stack up.

So far they're definitely different to the PS3's as I say. Slightly more noisy but I would say more grippy in wet and dry conditions. Be interesting to see how they wear as the PS3's were quite good in that regard. Fronts lasted about 15k with hard driving and rears were still plenty tready bar the sawtoothed inner edge. Will know more about feedback next time I'm out now the pressures are down slightly to match what I ran the PS3's at.

Be interesting to see how they wear as the PS3's were quite good in that regard.

Michelin maintain there tyre's do more mile's than any other, so they should do less. .

Does a softer compound increase noise also?

A softer compound will produce less noise and more feel, but, the stonger the sidewall the more noise and the better the turn in, a 'v' tread pattern will produce more noise and not disapate water as quick. A good quality tyre will require less wheel weight's as it'll be more balanced within production and more likly to stay in shape. If your fussy a Yokohama should have the yellow dot by the valve.

Noise was never an issue years back, all you could hear in a car was the engine, just show's how manufacture's have advanced. Tyre's make less noise now compared to 2009. And how nice it would be if they laid the correct tarmac that's smooth, that said these days it would be nice just to get some tarmac laid. .