Heater blower resistor change - help!

Hello everyone.

Help! My heater/blower/aircon only works on number 4, which I am led to believe is probably due to a resistor fail. So the big question is, can anyone help me to understand how to change it? I have a Fabia II 2008 Sport 1.9TDi.

I've been searching the forums for an answer without much luck. There is plenty of info on here about how to do this on a mark 1 Fabia, but little on how to do it on the mark 2.

I understand that the resistor is difficult to get to because of the upper glove box and airbag, so before I attempt to pull something apart and can't get it back together again (!), I was wondering if anyone knew how to replace this part.

If you do and you can help (preferably with some pics) then that would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Edited by jasper180969

Thanks Guys.

The tutorial looks like it relates to the Mk1 Fabia rather than the Mk2 model.

Nath17t - I live in North Wales so some distance from Middlesborough. Happy to have a go at removal of passenger side airbag myself is it isn't too tricky - anyone know how easy is it to remove in order to get to the resistor?

Hi mate, open the top glove box and remove the 2 torx screws. A pull outwards and the glovebox will come out of the dash. If you then look into the hole you will see 3 torx 30 screws. These hold the airbag frame in the dash. Remove the screws carefully (dont drop them behind the dash!). The cover will then come up out of the top of the dash but it will be quite tough to remove. Probably a good idea to disconnect the battery and then disconnect the airbag, make sure you dont have a static build up in your body, touch the door striker to make sure. Once the airbag is out of the way you can find the resistor down in the hole on top of the airbox. Its a bayonet fitting so twist it and it should come out, its a bit fiddly. Disconnect wiring fit new resistor and rebuild in reverse order. Reconnect battery and test.

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

Thank you for all the info already. I will probably have to do this also. I was still wondering if I unscrew the 3 torx bolts and I lift the airbag by pushing it upwards underneath the tabs, is there something that can go wrong? Do I have to unplug a cable to the airbag? How do I place the airbag again? Just push it in or are there some points I have to pay attention to....Thank you!

• 3 months later...

Hello all, I have a Fabia 2 level 1 and wish to renew the resistor so I do not have a glove box lid.Though there is what looks like a removable oblong piece of plastic at the rear of the cubby box.  Could someone guide me through the process of getting to the heater resistor thanks.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Don't omit checking/changing your pollen filter if you've had to do this repair.  The lack of airflow/extra motor effort associated with a blocked filter is surely a major contributor to these things burning out.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

What type of heating do you have?

Sorry to barge the post, 

I am new to this forum 

Im looking for someone with VCDS in Worcestershire , im hoping you may be able help.

Cheers

Tristan

I was wondering, what makes you know that it needs changing? My heater seems to have 2 settings, "off" and "the furnaces of Dante's Inferno". Is this a similar issue? Of course I could just take it to my dealer but they're currently denying all knowledge of why it is pulling to the left (or that in fact anyone in the country has ever experienced this problem!!!) so I don't want to tax them too much as they seem easily distracted and are making themseles out to be simpler folk than I suspect they actually are!