Help leak in boot and can't find fault

Folks i seem to have a leak right beside the right hand side mesh basket. Water appears to be dripping from the top area of tailgate. I am guessing the leak is starting from top of tailgate and dripping downwards and where the tailgate level's off(just before the plastic trim is where parcel shelf sits on.) it drips onto carpet

driving me nuts.

could be dodgy rubber seal somewhere?...

it's most probably the pipe that's split from rear wash wipe ,,check that first ! :hi:

good suggestion, but not that buddy. It is wrong side of tailgate. That pipe comes down the left side of car. Also car only leaks when it has been raining :rain: .

thanks for response though

mark.

where the strut is mate there are spot welds. they have a tendancy to pop slightly so just a dab of seal on them and youll sort it. when boot is closed they creat a dam/sligh build up and it seeps in theru the pin hole in the weld.

mine did same.

this was pointed out to me by fastkwak. not active much ne more but top bloke up in leeds. can go taking the credit for this one.

ill get a pic of where i mean later om for you.

billy

mark.

where the strut is mate there are spot welds. they have a tendancy to pop slightly so just a dab of seal on them and youll sort it. when boot is closed they creat a dam/sligh build up and it seeps in theru the pin hole in the weld.

mine did same.

this was pointed out to me by fastkwak. not active much ne more but top bloke up in leeds. can go taking the credit for this one.

ill get a pic of where i mean later om for you.

billy

Good suggestion Billy mate, but did that mod 3 years ago, and keep checking the sealant is not gone off.

Hi it could be the boot seal,but more likely to be the tailgate hinges where they bolt near the roof,have heard of a couple leaking there now.

That is another good suggestion buddy, again i sealed in those hinge area 3 years ago (well as best as i could) it could still be leaking there I suppose it must be from a high area as believe water is running down under the boot plastic trim fitted to the rear quarter above the speaker panel and dripp off quarter panel onto floor just beside the mesh basket. Dam frustrating. It create quite a patch. Bucket in boot at the moment

Easiest way is to drop the back seats and get someone to listen and look with a torch while you pour a watering can over the back of the car. I had a tiny hole that was not sealed up properly at the factory just on my bumper line. Made the boot stink and fill up with water.

A bit of pound shop epoxy putty stuffed in the hole and smoothed down and its sorted. Took a while to dry it all out though.

Edited by joeboy

I had a leak into boot from recess where hinges fit, where roof folds over and joins to inner metal panel.

I filled dug old sealent out and resealed it all up.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok Update on the leak.

After filling the hinge area more....still leaked. :sweat:

IMG_1046.jpg

After rechecking the tailgate shock mount for nut to be tight and adding little more sealant around the shock weld....still leaking :rain:

IMG_1050.jpg

Then after sealing the rubber trim around wheere i thought was leaking still no joy.. :sweat:

Then lifted off roof trim to see what was happeing if i tip water down there

IMG_1283.jpg

IMG_1278.jpg

And would you beleive it I could recreate the leak every time by tipping water down that channel.

it turns out that a small amount of cracked paint in channel (to right hand side) was allowing water through the paint and and through to inner metal that then drips down the tailgate quarter panel into boot area.

fixed it at long last..... :thumbup:

back to a dry boot again............ :rofl:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Ok Update on the leak.

After filling the hinge area more....still leaked. :sweat:

IMG_1046.jpg

After rechecking the tailgate shock mount for nut to be tight and adding little more sealant around the shock weld....still leaking :rain:

IMG_1050.jpg

Then after sealing the rubber trim around wheere i thought was leaking still no joy.. :sweat:

Then lifted off roof trim to see what was happeing if i tip water down there

IMG_1283.jpg

IMG_1278.jpg

And would you beleive it I could recreate the leak every time by tipping water down that channel.

it turns out that a small amount of cracked paint in channel (to right hand side) was allowing water through the paint and and through to inner metal that then drips down the tailgate quarter panel into boot area.

fixed it at long last..... :thumbup:

back to a dry boot again............ :rofl:

did you fix this in the end mark? also how do you remove the roof trim without damaging/bending it?

Yes mate did fix it.

I used a small flat screwdriver to carefully prise up the trim then gradually moved along the trim levering up the trim as I went. Come off quite easy actually.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Think I'll have to carry out these sealing jobs on mine cos i've got footwell leaks to sort anyway but I noticed this morning that my cd changer wouldn't work and after a quick feel behind my boot build I noticed wetness on top of my cd changer so I clearly have water coming in the boot too :(

I have recently fixed this issue with mine too - used milliput for a decent seal

a wee tip for everyone with octavias is check the tightness of the mounting nuts for the boots struts - both of mine were loose, visually so on the side that leaked

• 2 weeks later...

Bowders, I am wondering exactly where the leak is on that picture, and how did you seal it. Did you have a damp feeling drivers seatbelt at times?

I have the damp drivers seatbelt issue. I have also sometimes seen (when I have to leave my car outside in the rain) water sitting on the top of the bottom of the door frame. This water I suspect has drained through the door and the less than ideal door seal along the bottom of the door lets some of this water into the car. I have primarily seen more water towards the front of the seal, but I guess towards the back or even the front of the rear drivers door would let water into the seatbelt area.

Bowders, I am wondering exactly where the leak is on that picture, and how did you seal it. Did you have a damp feeling drivers seatbelt at times?

HI there, If you look at the last pic you will see the white roof trim retainer. Between that and the end of the roof on the far right side of the channel there is a little gully. That gully had a hair line crack that at first just looked like crack surface paint.

here is a better pic

VRSroofleak_zps7fe2e1f8.jpg

I put a thin bead of tiger seal in that channel then painted it with silver paint to match car(although can't see with roof trim on) I basically sealed where i saw any paint crack. This cured my leak.

Yes I too had a damp seat belt this has been cured to some extent, but may do the whole roof channel to be safe.

I have the damp drivers seatbelt issue. I have also sometimes seen (when I have to leave my car outside in the rain) water sitting on the top of the bottom of the door frame. This water I suspect has drained through the door and the less than ideal door seal along the bottom of the door lets some of this water into the car. I have primarily seen more water towards the front of the seal, but I guess towards the back or even the front of the rear drivers door would let water into the seatbelt area.

I also have resting water on the bottom door seal, believe this is due to the water running through the door(door skin doing it's job) and as the door frame seal is weak lets the water sit on the compressed bit. I will get new frame seal but at the moment this does not leak into car on mine but would be a cause for concern if it is left. Mind you maybe not helping the damp seat belt issue as you describe.

yes pry the end clip off, then with a big enough screwdriver lever it in and up carefully, working the plastic to come off the clips.

I fixed my leak thanks to bowders suggesting the tailgate strut link to the body, my screw was undone causing a suprising amount of water to leak into the boot area behind the carpet and boot tidy pocket.

• Like 1

I sealed mine a couple of months ago, but over the holidays left the car for around 2 week and hadn't driven it

It felt quite damp inside when I finally got back in it this week - with the weather we have had is constant rain the simple explanation or do you think I've a leak, or simply still drying out from the tailgate leak?

Also any other common areas for leaks on these - checked pollen filter area etc and scuttles are clear - carpets feel dry in these areas

however feeling around the outer skin/panel in the boot area is noticably damp