noisy tyres...stepped...whats the cause?

i have a noisy drone when driving. took the car for service ( non skoda) and was told the tyres are stepped. the car is superb estate. diesel and done only 30000 miles. its still under warrenty, but having had issues with the garage in the past, am expecting them to say nothing wrong.

whats the cause of this? and has any one else had this prob?

Can't speak about your particular case, obviously, but it is a known phenomenon. I had it on some Goodyear Eagles fitted to a Vectra a few years back and it sounded like a worn wheel-bearing. Only choice is to put up with it or change the tyres. I changed the tyres.

Had this problem with my approved used superb when I went on it's initial test drive. Myself and salesman were thinking it was something big as the noise was only at certain speeds.

When we got back to the garage and described the noise to the workshop without even looking the technician had diagnosed it. Two new tyres and it was sorted. They said that it is very common on superbs.

15000 miles later and it hasn't returned.

Apparently dunlops are pretty bad for it.

Its not the tyres , although some tyres are worst than others its geometry related , most FWD cars suffer from it to some extent

The geometry can be adjusted to minimise it but it cant be eliminated but if you managed 30,000 miles then its doing well ,my last rear tyres managed 24,000miles the fronts 18 or 19k

Yes it's a FWD thing, not just a skoda thing. Rotating tyres keeps it at bay. 30,000 miles is pretty good for any set of car tyres.

I'd agree, but I've never seen it before I owned the Leon. My boss's Mondeo does it as well though. I'm led to believe it's only back tyres affected, and that it's because they trail most of the time, only working hard under braking, where the fronts get braking and accelleration.

My tyre-fitter friend says that it's a condition seen only on cars with front-wheel drive and independent rear suspension (as opposed to a live or dead axle). My Octy suffered it and it sounded just like a wheel bearing on the way out.

Ray

The beam vs independent rear end is an interesting twist.

The fwd car I had that did this noticably (if that isn't a real word, it should be) was independent rear end. I currently own a fwd van with a beam rear end, but it arrived with new tyres and has only done 300km in two years. Nothing to learn from that one. The rest of my vehicles are 4wd and don't do it, despite one of them using the exact suspension system of the fwd car that saw-toothed the rears.

I'd agree, but I've never seen it before I owned the Leon. My boss's Mondeo does it as well though. I'm led to believe it's only back tyres affected, and that it's because they trail most of the time, only working hard under braking, where the fronts get braking and accelleration.

Mondeos are one of the worst for it so i'm told , our old Freelander did it as well

It's generally caused by excessive toe on the end concerned. I have had it occur on Front, Fear and All Wheel Drive. May also be a combination of geometry factors. A good tyre place should be able to fix it as well as give a before and after report.

My AWD was doing it on the front only after my Mum drove it and clipped a kerb throwing the alignment off. Getting a new wheel alignment solved the problem.

My tyre-fitter friend says that it's a condition seen only on cars with front-wheel drive and independent rear suspension (as opposed to a live or dead axle). My Octy suffered it and it sounded just like a wheel bearing on the way out.

Ray

That could be right: the Leon is the first car I've had with indy rear suspension.

From my experience, FWIW, I found it to be an issue with Dunlop Sport Maxx TT's on my Superb, but not with the current Avon's or the previous Michelin Primacy's.

When the Dunlop's started to wear they became noisy and I could feel the vibrations through the steering wheel particularly when accelerating at high speed.

Justin.

WOW!! what a helpful bunch you all are !! thanks.. 19 replies in just 3 days. it seems its a common thing then and nothing to worry about. i'll just have to do what i done when i owned cortinas........ turn up the radio lol.

i'll still go to skoda and see if they try ripping me off again by saying i need new shocks or a new suspension.

what a great site this is,, i'll keep popping in to see if anything else interesting comes along. i notice that some of you are getting water in the footwells. GET it sorted cos i had that in my passat, and it ended up needing new computor and carpet, costing $1500.

thanks all

steve

ps-- tyres were front put on by skoda their choice.....rear cheap budjets my choice