Saloon or estate

I saw that the manual only referred to the combi's rear seat cushions being folded forwards but thought I must have missed something.

As I've got heated rear seats I don't think I'll risk trying to get them up and forward, just in case.

Jim

The seat base is not designed to lift up on the Twindoor, of course they can be removed as can any part, but they were not designed to do this frequently (or easily).

This IMO is another pointless bit of the Superb, why have the ability of folding the rear seats when they will only go half way down? - this is as pointless as the estate that as std does not have a flat load area, meaning the variable boot floor (which makes the load area flat) essential - again IMO.

I saw that the manual only referred to the combi's rear seat cushions being folded forwards but thought I must have missed something.

As I've got heated rear seats I don't think I'll risk trying to get them up and forward, just in case.

Jim

The seas fold forward extremely easily, no damage will occur to the heating elements as they are in the squabs which are connected to the main wiring loom by amply long cable. The seats are designed for fold to increase the luggage space. A passenger sitting in the rear seats will not damage them so folding will not cause any damage.

In that case I may well have a go although my need for a van like interior is, I hope, now behind me (wasn't it always!).

Jim

Jim...I dont know how old your car is...but please let me know how you get on. I hope you don't mind being a `guinea pig`!

Regards.

Mike.

but the day will surely soon be upon us when Skodas are genuinely perceived to be on a par with VW/Audi/Honda/Volvo.

Honda Accord pricing is bonkers! No wonder they have difficulty shifting them in any sizeable number. Compare that with the number of new plate Superb's on Britain's roads.

I've been a user of both a Superb Twindoor and a Combi. The Twindoor is clever, however, it is true that you have to pack the boot being mindful of the intrusive hinges. It is also a bit of a pain having to press two buttons to open the hatch.

The boot space of both versions is huge, however, the Combi is easier to load bicycles and other awkward objects.

I'd also say that the Combi is the better looking Superb, although, if I was paying for the car with my own money I'd probably opt for the cheaper Twindoor, unless I regularly had need of the slightly larger bootspace of the Combi.

Jim...I dont know how old your car is...but please let me know how you get on. I hope you don't mind being a `guinea pig`!

Regards.

Mike.

Mine's new last week.

I phoned my dealer and they said they 'fold' so I went out and had a go....the rear 'squab' is held in place by one spring loaded clip at the front of each of the outer seats ie two clips.

If you grip the front of the seat in the middle of the outer seat cushion and gently pull upwards you'll hear the clip let go...then do the other side and the whole 'squab just lifts off and can be placed forward giving a flatter cargo space.

I have the heated rear seats and I can confirm that the eires are indeed long enough to accomodate this.

Not sure how often I'll need to do this but good to know they will fold if necessary.

Jim

They dont fold!!!

You can however unclip the seat base , as described you pull the seat squab up and it unclips and can be lifted out , of course you can do this occasionally but if you start doing it on a regular basis the clips will wear and/or break and the seat base wont be held properly in place

P1030094.jpg

P1030095.jpg

That's why I put the word 'fold' in inverted commas...once at least.

Unfortunately, when you lift the squab it destroys the illusion of a quality car.

I'm trying to forget the experience and growing to appreciate the nearly flat floor of simply folded backrests.

:sweat:

Jim

Edited by Claymore

The bit you are lifting is the cushion, not the squab. The squab is another name for the backrest. I used to misunderstand that too. Squab does sound like something to sit on, I know.

On the estates, it's clear the cushions are meant to fold, and the underneath is finished off. There's also a mechanism of sort to guide it.

"Estate or twindoor?" is an interesting question. I ended up going for the twindoor because:

- my previous car for 10 years was a Passat Estate, and I wanted a change;

- we bought my wife an Octavia Estate the month before I ordered my Superb, and I didn't feel we needed two Estates in the family

- the extra cost was about £1500 (through the internet broker I bought my car from), which I did not think was worth it for the times I would need the extra space (summer hodidays usually);

- the practicality of the twindoor (as I rarely open the hatch, usually only need the saloon access);

- the extra sound insulation of the twindoor compared to the Estate (there will be a difference here);

- the extra fuel economy of the twindoor, and the lower road tax.

I sometimes wonder if I made the right decision though, mainly for the following points:

- looks, as the Estate is a prettier design (although the twindoor look has grown on me)

- practicality, for our dog (although this is largely in my wife's Octavia) and our two children

- boot space when on holiday (less space, and having to judge room for the hinges on both sides).

The lack of rear wiper does not bother me at all.

So, in hindsight, maybe I should have gone for the Estate - or maybe I would be having the same (opposite) dilemma as above now!

But, as mentioned above, I am glad that I went with the Superb - it truly is superb, and the best value for money family car that you can buy.