New DSLR

Fuzz

Evening All.

I've just got hold of a new Nikon D5100 with the 18-105mm Nikon Lens.

Its my first 'proper' camera, upgraded from my compact Canon SX210IS (Keeping hold of that though, its a cracking little compact)

I'll hopefully get some decent shots in soon and post some up but just wondering if anyone familiar with this Nikon model or similar knew of any little tips and tricks, things that the manual doesn't tell you, or anything else to just help me get the most out of it really.

Cheers

Rob

Bought a d5100 for the missus a while back. great starter dslr and tbh you cant go far wrong with either model.

As far as tips go, really depends on what you like and what you are looking to shoot.

I've got the D5000 and I'm really pleased with it

Generally run it on Program/Auto day to day, shutter priority for action, and aperture priority when I want to have a say in the depth of field

Haven't gone anywhere near to exploring it's full potential, effects etc etc

The main reason I bought it over the Canon was the tilting screen

If you are just moving into DSLR photography, you will not be disappointed by the D5100

So far i've found it pretty easy to use once i figured out where everything is. I'm fairly ok with the manual settings etc as the Canon compact had all those too.

The tilting screen was one of the selling points for me too. I didn't really look at the D3200 as it was quite a bit more expensive.

The thing i prefer about all the Nikon DSLRs over the Canons is the fact that the Nikons feel like a substantial bit of kit. The Canon felt a bit plasticky and breakable!

The thing i prefer about all the Nikon DSLRs over the Canons is the fact that the Nikons feel like a substantial bit of kit. The Canon felt a bit plasticky and breakable!

Nice choice :) I very much find the same! I have an entry level Canon (don't ask), and also an entry level and a pro Nikon. The Canon is quite light and plasticy and the ergonomics are rubbish (this gets better with the pro models, but that's no good for those who don't want a pro body!)

The manual will tell you everything that the camera does, the thing is you need to know what those things mean, that's all. If you're already used to aperture priority etc then you're away!

I dare not let my wife see this thread !!!!!!!!!

She will go off on one for months about cameras, Nikon this, Nikon that, 200-400 f4 etc. etc.

I am a photographic outcast to her as I don't understand half of what goes on inside these little boxes.

Good luck and enjoy.

To be honest, any camera (CSC or DSLR) these days is capable of capturing a great picture. Most 'decent' compacts are more than good enough in most situations.

It is the photographer that makes the picture.

Spend money on learning about cameras & photography first;

Then buy some good quality lenses when you know what you are doing and which ones would suit your photographic interests and style;

Then upgrade your camera only if you can explain exactly why it's the camera that is stopping you from getting great pictures.

If anyone lives near Craven Arms in Shropshire, I run a 'Get to grips with your DSLR' course there for £35 for the day. Contact the Shropshire Hills Discovery Centre if you are interested.

It's a great way to be taught the basics if photography and cameras by a qualified teacher and a professional photographer.