ADVICE: ARE YOU PLEASED/DO YOU REGRET YOU BOUGHT YOUR YETI?

Paul_Bowden

The title says it all, really.....

Just retired and now living permanently in France. Need car for reasonably long, relaxed cruises (so diesel, which I prefer anyway, would seem to make sense) and plenty of load-carrying capacity (I'm a beekeeper); will usually carry 2 people, but would like it to be comfortable for 4 adults on a long journey.

I hate spending money (even if I had it) on cars and usually drive them into the ground (my 02 Fabia is now at 200k), so long-term reliability and economy are really critical for me.I have been delighted with the 02 Fabia and 58 Octavia Estate, both of which had the old 1.9 TDI engine (without DPF, of course).

Trying to decide what to buy now (it will be LHD and sourced from local dealer here). I have been offered 14.5% off the list price of a new Yeti 2.0 TDI 110 horse power 2wd (4wd not necessary) in SE finish, which seems reasonable here in France and am test-driving one next week. Still dithering, though. Part of me thinks that the Roomster would be OK (but a bit underpowered?) and part of me would like to play safe and stick with the Octavia estate.

I would be really interested to hear of current Yeti diesel owners' experiences, especially on:

• anything you really like
  • ditto for dislikes
  • niggles, faults etc
  • peculiarities (car, not owner)
  • any options you wish you'd had/not had
  • anything else, really............

Many thanks to anyone who reads and takes time to reply.

Just seen the pinned article: "If you are about to order a Yeti....", which I should have read before posting.... Any replies to mine still very welcome, though.

Very happy with our Yeti (otherwise we wouldn't be picking up another one next Saturday!). The secondary ride can be a bit harsh over potholes on the 17in wheels, but I guess this is the price you pay for sharp handling - the chassis generally is excellent. Refinement is good but probably not top drawer, however to be fair I am comparing it with my Jaguar XF. Our early car has had one or two rattles and a couple of problems with VW-wide components, but at least as good as any other car we've owned.

Is the Superb Combi out of your price range? I've been very impressed with the Superbs I've driven (170 TDI and 1.8 TSI) - I'd have one over a 3-Series or C-Class any day and they are very refined and comfortable - and massively roomy. There are some very good deals on petrol models in the UK and the TSI engines are smooth and torquey.

Mark.

Pleased I bought it, plan to keep it for a long while (already 36k miles up) and would definitely buy another. Last two cars were a Volvo V50 and an Audi A4 Avant. Yeti is more comfortable than either, at least as good, if not better, on long runs across France to the Alps - smooth ride and good fuel consumption. Obviously less space for stuff in the rear, but not enough to bother me (if I really need the extra I pop on the roofbox). Better around town - easier to park. Niggles, none come to mind. Options? Wish I'd had the electric seats so that I didn't have to fiddle for the right position after SWMBO has been driving.

(If somebody else had written that last sentence, they would now be expecting me to make some suggestive remark about fiddling with SWMBO. No corner for me today :angel: )

• Like 1

Very pleased with the Yeti.

Likes; handling, power, comfort, looks, towing capability

Dislikes; only one and that is 17" wheels, but only because I would prefer the greater choice in 16".

Niggles; none really.

Faults; only a DRL bulb that blew early, but was eventually replaced under warranty.

Options wanted; HID lamps.

If I had madam's permission I'd order a new one tomorrow, but (shock,horror) probably a 110 bhp 2 wheel drive instead.

Just collected a diesel Urban, having previoulsy owned a 1.6 CR 105BHP Roomster, 1.9 TDi Roomster, Yeti 1.2 TSi and FL Octavia TSi 4x4 (amongst others!).

The CR diesel engine in the Urban (2.0 CR 110 BHP) is definitietly the best diesel engine I've owned thus far - being much quieter and smoother than both the 1.9 TDi and 1.6 CR TDi's. I also find it preferable to the 1.2 TSi, although this is probably a subjective choice.

The Octavia TSi 4x4 was the most spacious and probably most capable / complete car (mid 30's MPG / 160 BHP / No DPF).

Having just covered 10K miles in a 1.6 CR TDi Roomster I'm definitely NOT a fan of the engine. Mine returned poor fuel economy, lacked low down torque and had a coarse engine note. The 2.0 CR TDi is MUCH smoother and pulls easily from lower revs, leading to a much more relaxing ("diesel like") driving experience. Early indications are that the fuel economy of 2.0 CR 110 BHP engine is similar to the 1.6 CR 105 BHP.

All in all I'm happy with the 110 BHP Diesel Yeti. The only downsides thus far being the Amundsen+ satnav (doesn't lower media volume when giving directions), lack of spare wheel and a slightly harsh ride from the 17" wheels.

Incidentally I've driven several 140 BHP Yeti's (both 2 & 4WD) and didn't notice a huge difference compared to the 110 BHP.

I've had an SE (2WD) 110 TDI for 25 months, 26k miles, really ideal as a family car and the higher ground clearance comes in handy for driving up a farm track at least 4 times a week.

Pros: (typical) Yesterday I did a 40 mile return trip up to to Northumberand with 2 adults, 2 kids and 2 large dogs, averaging 54mpg, and I don't hang around! I find the CR engine to be very smooth and never seems to run out of puff.

Cons: (again this would only apply to only a few owners ) but the abilty to open rear most windows like a Berlingo or Viano so the dogs could keep cooler.

Other than that, like others have mentioned, the driving position is fantastic and it's so easy to parallel park, great all round car! :blush:

Over the moon with mine, does everything is says on the box.

Minor changes I would make :

1. bigger sun visors on windscreen

2. some kind of partition between rear seats and boot space so when you drop the armrest in the back there is no gaping hole, and when its folded back it gets scruffy from boot items. Superb has very good design dont know why they dont use that.

Think thats all my minor gripes, otherwise its been a pleasure to own and trouble free (touch wood).

Bought a Yeti two years ago, liked it so much we bought two the second time. Need I say more?

Fantastic all round versatile vehicle.

Does everything we need for normal use, which used to be done by a more expensive car that cost a lot more to run.

It's not the best car at anything specific (cars which are always mean a compromise on other things), but it is the one with the best all round set of abilities. Wether it be towing a 2000kg trailer, offroading, family use or just popping down the shops. Good view and seating position. Handles well too and was even good fun on a track session at Castle Combe.

I'd also like something to cover the hole in the back seats if the armrest is down, which would also stop you worrying about the arm pads getting scratched by boot items when it's folded up.

I don't often get to drive the Yeti as it's the wifes, but used it over the weekend and it reminded me of how 'right' the car feels:

The right amount of comfort, space, performance, quality, driveability, kit, etc. To nick someone elses tag line (I think) "it's all the car you'd ever need"!

It also got a good write up in the Used Car write up in yesterdays Times, In Gear section.

The wifes' is 3 years old next March and we're sorely tempted to get another one, the only thing(s) that's stopping us placing an order now is when the facelift is due out and whether we need a bigger car with a higher towing capacity as the horse tally is on the increase (2 now and third one likely in the next few weeks) meaning we may need to tow with two horses in the trailer.

Bought mine second hand in May and have been enjoying it since. It replaced a Fabia vRS which I'd had for over 6 years and was a fantastic motor, so has a lot to live up to. But I didn't get it expecting more of the same, as it's a different beast (monster) entirely.

Very pleased with the economy (getting mid 40s), handling, comfort and equipment. Still a rare sight on the roads, which my vRS was when I got that too. Performance is different to the PD engine of the Fabia, though is actually pretty decent - no problem overtaking cars or having fun through the twisties. Would have preferred a 170, but wasn't an option when buying. And the insurance is less than for the Fabia too, which is always a bonus!

Not impressed with the paintwork though - seems very thin and easily chips. Also got spots of rust on the rear doors, though Skoda is hopefully going to sort this under warranty soon, and fit the protective plastic foils. That said, I seem to be constantly having to paint over chips on the bodywork.

Quite a lot of wind noise on motorways, though to be expected given the shape. Feels less "planted" on these roads than the Fabia, which was amazing for a small car. Wing mirrors could do with a blind-spot area, as they're quite small and I have to look over my right shoulder when joining motorways etc.

That said, having mod-cons like cruise control, auto-dimming mirrors, auto lights and wipers make driving such journeys far more relaxing in the Yeti. And with its 4wd, I hope never to have to be towed out of boggy verges or pushed along snow-covered roads, which unfortunately occurred with the old Fabia.

Overall though, very pleased with it. And it makes me smile whenever I see it.

No complaints about my 'S' spec 4x4 Yeti that came with 16" wheels ( I did not know I was getting the better option at the time :-) A few niggles, but everything pales into insignificance really, a great package. The engine started to free up around 10,000 miles, and I find the 110 responsive enough ( again I thought I'd get better economy from the 110, but in fact it seems to make little difference compared to the 140 or 170) Anyway a great car for not very much money in my case, considering the good part exchange deal Skoda also gave me. Twelve weeks well worth waiting.

Edited by jeep

Find the Yeti package hard to beat for my needs anyway and currently on my second example (SE followed by an Elegance). Regard your list of considerations the following is my take on it;

• anything you really like

practicality, external dimensions, ride height, ease of driving, ride, handling and grip with 16" 215/60 tyres (current Yeti)

• ditto for dislikes

seat comfort appears to deteriorate over time (me only; everyone else who's travelled in either first or second Yeti, thinks the chairs are very comfy :wonder: ) Ride, handling and grip on 17" 225/50 tyres (first Yeti)

• niggles, faults etc

first Yeti, things kept coming loose and second Yeti minor electric gremlins

• peculiarities (car, not owner)

second Yeti inconsistent mpg; not that it's poor mind, just wish I could get the occasional 48 + mpg fill to fill all the time :giggle:

• any options you wish you'd had/not had

second Yeti electic seat (might improve comfort for me) and first Yeti lumber support, heated windscreen

• anything else, really............

HHC works well, like the corner fog, xenon lights generally better than halogen (mine keep going out of alignment mind :wonder: ), heated screen useful in the winter and winter tyres a must if your subject to ice or snow. Oh tyre repair kit daft but spare takes up boot space.

TP

16 months in a 140 Elegance-driven quite a few different cars since passing my test in 1970.

I love the upright seating and the excellent view.

I find the climate control and HID lights very good indeed, I would have the panoramic sunroof and electric seats in another and would easily buy one again.

The car has been effectively faultless-a failed heated seat element the only niggle.

I'm happy with the standard 17" rims and tyres-the feel of the car when using it's surprisingly crisp and direct steering and handling outweigh the slight intrusion of broken tarmac. My experience of driving it in France where the overall standard of road surfaces is better suggests they are fine there.

I find the economy excellent-much better than any of my previous vehicles-but I have never chosen a car for economy.

Build quality and finish are as good as can reasonably be expected from a VAG car in any similar price range.

Thank you so much to all who have taken the time and trouble to post such informative replies. Keep them coming - for me and others who might be considering a Yeti. After reading all your comments, I'm MUCH more inclined even than I was.

A few references to an upcoming facelift make me ask the obvious questions: do we know when it's due (in France, as well as the UK) and what differences there will be? Personally, I deliberate bought my Octavia Estate just before the facelift for that model, as the 'old' ones were, briefly, extraordinarily cheap; I never regretted it!

SE 110D 2WD here. Bought as the dealer had it in the showroom and I needed a car sharpish! Tried all the competitors but kept coming back to the Yeti. Had an x-trail before and Yeti is a bit smaller, far more refined, quicker, way more fun to drive and superbly put together. Loads of room for family of 4 and big slobby labrador (but not much luggage if Hound is in the back), got me out of some muddy fields even with 2wd, clever seats means I can stow large RC gliders, bike if I want to (but that goes on towbar rack generally).

Mine does a lot of miles (current commute to clients is 100 miles/day) and I'll keep it until 80/4 years whichever comes first. Then it'll be traded for another one I'm sure.

Fab cars. Buy one :)

I'm very impressed with the Yeti. The only downsides relate directly to my previous car, a Mk 1 Octy 110 estate. That had a lot more boot space and was more economical, so I knew I was sacrificing those in moving to a Yeti. Otherwise it's equal or better in every way I can think of. Off to Llandudno on Sunday so will see how it compares with a longer trip.

Nearly 5 months and 7000 miles in a 170 TDi Elegance here are my thoughts:

Likes: Towing ability (very keen caravanner so all important), elevated driving position, smoother ride than previous Octavia vRS TDi's, economy (doesn't match the vRS with the same engine solo but I expected that, however it beats the vRS for towing MPG), sunroof, folding mirrors.

Dislikes: Black roof wasn't an option when I got mine, small boot compared to the Octavia, low trailer noseweight limit compared to the competition, taller so harder to wash the roof!

Niggles: Sunroof blind closing of its own free will!

Peculiarities: Can't think of any

Options: Happy with the spec I chose just a pity I couldn't have had a black roof to complete the black and white theme (I have black grill, mirrors and alloys to compliment the candy white)

Anything else: Skoda number 5, really happy with it, do miss the sporty edge of my Octavia vRS models. Be interested to see what the facelifted Yeti looks like ... then i'll probably place an order for Yeti number 2.

Edited by IainM1970

Had mine six months and 6,000 miles.

I like the firm ride, the cornering headlights, cruise control, SD card player, park assist, seats, mpg, climate control, it makes me smile :sun:

I should have got a heated screen, the de-mister is pathetic to the point of being dangerous. Last Feb start car on drive, put on full de-mist, scrape and completely clear windows, mirrors and lights, get in drive 50 yards then stop due ice INSIDE the screen! also when car running on drive there are exhaust fumes in the car. No fumes at any other time. :rain:

I'm on Yeti number two. The first one was the 2.0litre 110 diesel and the present one is the 1.6 greenline two in Elegance Spec.

Comparing the two:

Ride wise the 17inch wheels on my previous Yeti were worse than the 16inch on my present one.

Engine and road noise on the Greenline is more obvious than on my 2.0 litre.

I'm more than pleased with the car as it doeas all I want it to do. The boot is small especially if you opt for the spare tyre, but remember items can be stacked upwards. Ok the Octavia ride is better but the road holding on the Yeti makes up for this.