Airbox modification ....a mod too far?

ChrisRs

I copied this from another Forum

I saw this and wondered how this could possibly work

What are your thoughts?

I'm not going to include a (how to remove the airbox filter housing) in this tutorial as it's pretty straight forward to do. This mod work's on all petrol engines but i haven't tested it on a diesel car so cannot comment.

I'm not taking full credit for this mod as i did not discover it but have done this mod on my ******and my*****and have noticed a difference on both cars. The sound is hugely improved and the car seem's more eager to shift without consuming fuel like a CAI/Induction Kit.

Tool's Required

• A drill (preferably cordless)
    • 12mm drill bit - I found the drill bit below did the best job
      thumbjlo.jpg
      • Stanley knife (might not be needed)
        • Round file (might not be needed)

NOTE - the bottom half of the airbox housing must be removed before drilling due to wiring looms running below the housing when it's installed on the car.

Also, i cannot see how this would void your warranty as the holes will be hidden and unless your airbox housing was to be removed for some reason, they wouldn't know it's been modified but please do this mod at your own risk as I will not be held responsible.

1/ Remove the airbox housing only, some people find it easier to remove after taking the battery out but I managed ok with the battery and everything else in place.

2/ The filter housing is in two parts. The part you're going to modify is the bottom section.

3/ You will need to drill approximately 30 x 12mm holes in the bottom section of the filter housing only. The reason for drilling the bottom section of the housing is because all dust particles and debris will still hit the filter. If you were to drill the top section of the housing, all dust and debris would bypass the filter and clog your engine.

NOTE -After reading this far into the tutorial, your more than likely having doubts now. This is a perfectly safe modification to do and does exactly the same job as an Induction Kit but without the expense. Not really sure why it sounds better but i'm guessing it's down to the air passing through the holes on the filter housing and because the housing is hollow it creates a deep roaring sound.

Once you have drilled the holes, put everything back in reverse order to how you removed it and the modification is complete. I have included a couple of photo's below to give you a better idea of how the bottom housing will look afterwards and to make sure your still on the right track.

img3768r.jpg

img3767z.jpg

img3765h.jpg

I welcome all comment's and opinions. If you perform this modification and you don't like it, the bottom part of the housing is cheap and easy enough to replace. I can assure that you won't be dissapointed!!

As some of you already know, iv tried different methods and this is by far the best one.

Why not just go whole-hog, cut out the bottom and replace it with wire mesh??

Why not ditch the air-box competely and stuff the filter into the air-intake. ;)

• Like 1

Why not ditch the air-box competely and stuff the filter into the air-intake. ;)

DONT BE SILLY, its the wrong shape.

What he REALLY needs is a lot of plastic piping connected to the air intake, with a giant funnel at the end ( pointing forwards), and a giant fan glued over the end of the funnel to suck/ram the air in.

i

name='ChrisRs' timestamp='1343461611' post='2878030']

I copied this from another Forum

I saw this and wondered how this could possibly work

What are your thoughts?[/u]

it would make a grate hoover for when it rains

Looking at my airbox in 1.2 fabia and how restricted it is , it kind of make sense .

I'll have to get my drill :devil:

Only joking , but have to do something with it anyway.

Corsa boys have been doing this for a long time, why we only just catching up? They do it to give that bit of a 'roar'.

This is true! Bigger holes make a lower tone sound on acceleration, more smaller holes make a higher tone on acceleration. Doubt if it ever made a difference but sounded ok!

Having had a corsa and doing the mod along with hundreds of other, it never once created any running problems or 'Hoover related' issues.

• Like 1

Yes it will create extra noise, but no power at all, unless the airbox was massively restricted in the first place which is unlikely, and any gain in removing restriction will be lost by the heat drawn in from the engine bay. I got slated for telling a guy this on the Mondeo forum who was adamant this made his car faster!