Elegance CD player

Am I doing something stoopid, or does the Elegance only have a single CD drive (even though the SE has a 6 disk player)? I haven't got the SE here for reference, but if I recall it correctly an option appeared somewhere to select which drive you wanted to load the CD into, from the choice of six. I can't find a similar looking entry in the Columbus unit in my new Elegance :(

I'm guessing that the HDD 'replaces' the other CD's, but now I'm stuck again - I can't for the life of me see how to copy a CD onto the HDD. I've read the manual, but it might as well be in Greek!

The Elegance only has a single CD drive. It also has an SD card slot; the SD card is designed to replace CD multiplayers. You just load your CDs onto the SD card via a computer. I believe you can load data from the SD card onto the HDD in the Columbus, but not direct from a CD.

I've stuck 3 16gb sdcards in the ash tray. so have 500 odd CD's on the space a postage stamp takes up.

CD player is just used to play discs on way home from HMV!

• Like 1

Hi, you will need to rip the cd on a computer in order to create mp3 or wma files.

You can do this using Windows Media Player (assuming that you are using a windows pc) or some other software if you prefer.

This will result in a folder containing your music that you can copy to an sd card.

Put the sd card into the columbus and that will give you the ability to copy it onto the hdd.

Consider the folder the folder names and structure first.

I have a series of folders that have the band's or artist's name. Within each band's folder I have one or more folders that are named the same as the album that I am about to rip my cd into.

In truth, as my sd card can store 32GB of data I have yet to copy it to the hdd.

I find that the columbus can play from the sd card much sooner than the hdd when it is first turned on.

Sent via Tapatalk

Thanks both for that. Pity the flippin' manual doesn't say that it can't copy from CD direct and I wouldn't have wasted my time trying to work out how to! I've copied a few folders of music onto the hard drive, but then it occurred to me that leWrat is probably right - it can read files from the card much faster than the hard drive - so I've just copied loads of stuff to a 16GB card and leave it in the slot!

How 'smart' is the player software? Can I, for example, search for a filename, or play a genre, create playlists, etc?

How 'smart' is the player software?

In truth, it's pretty dire compared to any dedicated MP3 player . :@ If I'd realised quite how poor it was I would have specified an MDI connection and plugged in my spare iPod.

Can I, for example, search for a filename, or play a genre, create playlists, etc?

Respectively: No, no and kind of :wonder:.

Playlist support is a bit of a dogs breakfast. Although the Columbus supports .m3a playlists, I've never managed to get them to work properly. I have music on the HDD in /Artist/Album directories and what I wanted to do was have a series of genre-based playlists in the root directory which could be played and their contents shuffled randomly. No dice. I finally got this working with Windows Media Player .wpl playlists, instead.

HTH,

m.

I didn't get the MDI, but I find the bluetooth works well with my iPhone (for phone and music), so I haven't needed the SD card route yet.