this is going to be a very long read

i just took a punt lol

tbh i dont know that much on whats what with them and when i put the origonal ebay link on the last page nobody said much so i didnt think too much of it

ive seen some ebay cheap things be ok (raceland manifold for a saxo being an example) and others being dog****e (the same companies coilovers) same the dump im gunna run is 40 quid but seen them used on a 550+bhp supercharger m5 without an issue some cheap things work others dont

we shall see how i fair though ive bought it now so erm yea haha

get it in when it comes and then see whats what about my pipework ect

I think the general concern with these type of 'chinese' units is that they fall apart under load, emptying their contents into your engine.

For not much more you can get your own turbo turned into a hybrid, and to be honest get better power, 250 isnt enough for the effort of changing your turbo, 280 is what i would go for in a hybrid.

• 3 weeks later...

right then guys turbos been returned a refund has been sent to me and im back to square one

knowing the absolute nothing i do where do i look for a decent turbo then?

and what am i looking for in a decent one when it gets here as now i know there are **** ones i want to be sure before it goes anywere near my car if itll destroy the engine

in no rush for this build now sorned and cancelled my insureance cars stashed in the garage and yea basically where do i start????

yes im aware im limited by that i was told on the first page of the thread that i am i had ordered a k04 001 but it turns out the one id gone for would probably fail (was off ebay) so returned it im now trying to find where to get one from that wont ruin the rest of the engine

budget well its a case of how much is needed is what ill put into it the car owes me a ******* ton for what it is anyway allready so screw it why not go the whole hog on it

yes im aware im limited by that i was told on the first page of the thread that i am i had ordered a k04 001 but it turns out the one id gone for would probably fail (was off ebay) so returned it im now trying to find where to get one from that wont ruin the rest of the engine

budget well its a case of how much is needed is what ill put into it the car owes me a ******* ton for what it is anyway allready so screw it why not go the whole hog on it

Think you need to first decide how much power you are after , how much you want to spend , how easy you want to do the job, how you are going to use the car, etc etc

Then you can narrow down the options, else we are just going to give you our opinions and that means spend , spend spend..... :rofl:

Good advice given,

Its always easy to spend someone elses money, as was said, separate a wish list from what you

can realistically afford / do that meets your needs.

At the end of the day you will be stuck with whatever you do and then another interesting thread will have captured everyone elses attention.

Speaking personally, I would love to do all the mods Bowders has done, but for various reasons havnt--- yet !!! lol.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :thumbup:

What went on your turbo? If you want to go Hybrid/BT depending on the condition of the casing you may want to send that off to someone like "CR Turbos" or these guys have really good feedback on ebay if you want to just rebuild to standard.

the casing on the exhaust side cracked on my turbo so i need a full replacement

budget wise im seeing what my options are but i have about 3k or just over realistically and dont mind spaffing a little more

i know spending is needed ive done cars before and know the "take your budget and double it" effect

ideally id like to see 270ish hp puts the vrs on par with my saxo at about 200bhp/tonne hopefully and should keep me entertained

use the car daily and the odd play on the drag strip for anything else its a bit low to handle lol!

and posts of spending someone elses money if i couldnt afford it i wouldnt be asking ;)

just dont have the knowledge of these cars and where to get parts from whos good ect ect ive had my head buried in the french scene for too long and just realised do everything yourself as youll end up doing it again anyway

which brings me to ease of the conversion

im fairly competent at mechanics when i know what im looking at but im not familiar with boost at all the vrs is the first turbo car ive worked on and so far all ive done is fit a decat pipe and a new maf lol

my saxo has had every nut and bolt a forged engine new looms new suspension the torsion bars ect all sorted so im not shy to spanners

really what im here in this thread for is advice of "try these guys for parts"

and if im confused i can take a picture and go wtf is this

sounding like ill be looking at a hybrid so where is good to go for that

hopefully thats covered all of the above

Edited by Alex-B

I was the same with french cars for many years. I converted my 309 Goodwood Gti with a Mi16v 405 engine. Did all the work apart from getting a fabricated exhaust manifold made to clear bulkhead. Loved that car(was like a go kart) so light.

few pics

309Goodwood002.jpg

309Goodwood004.jpg

309Goodwood006.jpg

309Goodwood007.jpg

Most of my cars I have messed about with and the VRS is no different :rofl:

You should find working on it straight forward then with your previous knowledge, just need to look at the various VAG cars like LCR,Audi TT/S3 for engine turbo inspiration.

based upon your previous post then the way to go would be a hybrid and with your budget a easy achievable one. You could get all new parts , custom map and still have funds left. Certainly if you are carrying out most of the work, as that is where money is exhausted quickly.

• Like 1

i know ill get my head round it but i just like having something i can turn to if i get a bit stuck like

map i can get sorted from advanced motorsport & engineering quite easily (work next door) and labour wise well im fairly sure i can do it myself just things like advice on what to get rid of and what to keep and what things are

not had a chance to actually get the tools out on the car yet tbh and get started stripping it but as soon as i can itll be like erm whats this thing?? im confuuuused haha

atm im slacking a bit :/

yea thanks man nice to know that a bunch of people with some knowledge are there to help

like i said ive done a lot of playing with cars just never boost and never a VAG car

btw just if anyones curious now im on a computer this is my pug (soon to be a saxo as ive got a few spots of rust on the pug and picked up a mint saxo shell for free of a mate so saves the welding haha)

ring10.jpg

ring.jpg

2011-05-21200056.jpg

I have always liked the pug 306 and 106 shells, they don't normally rust..

although the saxo looks similar to the 106 i am not as keen of the look of them. A 306 rallye or modded Gti go very well and rev like mad. :thumbup: