fabia 1.2tdi greenline estate

micmac37

Otaylor, I don't own the Greenline but have lived with one for a few days at a time. I took the diesel 1.2L 3 cylinder to Wales with two of us in and a heavy motorcycle engine in the back (seats down with protective heavy floor protection). It was just amazing! It's a surprisingly good all round car with quite a good punch from the engine (once it's run in!). Had no problems with fast motorway (70-80mph most of the time) or the cut and thrust of busy city traffic. The best bit was achieving 68mpg in total for the Welsh trip, putting 680 miles on the clock. That was brim to brim and it happened to tally ok with the trip computer too. Great car. My lil sis has the 1.6cr 105ps, another great car but  more power than many folk might want, so the Greenline is a good substitute and the mpg's are much better for most people that buy them. Like you say, you have to be doing the miles or at least if the car is only used a couple of times a week, make sure you get it fully warmed up and do some miles otherwise you are stoking up trouble for the future. I agree with you that petrol is best for shorter runs these days, especially since the new petrols go like diesels with regard to torque etc.

• Like 1

Sounds like it might be okay then. I just had visions of an underpowered boring 1.2 diesel which is suited better to long journeys because its that, diesel.

I like to get moving, so if i did do regular long journeys, id have a bigger engine.

Sounds good though :)

Had mine since 2nd Aug and I'm coming up on 10,000 miles (in 6 months!!  :o )

Check out my Sig (Fuelly) for my Economy... I get between 58 and 65mpg, which averages out at near as damn it 62mpg, which Is 20mpg better than my old Civic 1.4.

I get too 65mph on the M4 in the mornings and hit the Cruise Control and (at the time of morning I drive) stay there from Swindon to Slough.

I can usually get 550miles approx from £55, I fill up to the 'Brim' when the Car hits the Red which the computer (I got the Maxi-Dot) tells me is approx 75miles remaining!, and do this once a week! (thank god I can work at home 2 days a week otherwise that would be sooooo much more!!)

Having the Maxi-Dot on 'Live' MPG is fun if you're lead footed like me!! I can usually keep it between 56 and 89mpg with Cruise (Hills etc...), but accelerating away from Junctions/Lights I've gone as low as 6mpg  :D

Overall I'm very happy with my Greenline II Estate!  B)

I had a Greenline II for nearly 2 years and racked up 40,000 miles. It is a very capable car that wouldn't have the stop/start system if it wasn't capable of urban driving.They come with a very decent level of equipment as standard when compared to other Fabias.

Not saying its not capable. But due to the way diesels are now, if they dont get a decent run out (atleast 10 miles) they dont begin to burn off the diesel particles in the system, which can cost you thousands later down the line.

I dont think stop start technology is helping with that..

And all the money you save on fuel, plus plenty more will be spent on a new particulate filter

I dont mean to sound arrogant, but it can be a false economy in my eyes, if used for short runs regularly

Oh and of course theres the extra cost of buying diesel, which will offset your mpg compared to a petrol

Edited by Otaylor38

I bought a used GreenLine Estate in April 2013 and have since then done 17,000 miles in the 9 months I've had it. In the long run average mpg is 70-ish, definitively worse in winter than in summer, due to (ice)cold starts and less smooth driving on on snowy and slippery roads where I live. In summer, on long trips country roads with little or no traffic I have on occasion done 90 mpg but usually it will settle around 80 mpg on longer trips. The only downside to this engine is the almost total lack of pulling power at low rpm. That aside it's a great car to drive.