Yeti 4x4 in the snow?

darfash

Very Interesting, I think that vid perfectly demonstrates that all cars have a range of operation in snowy conditions, but when comparing similar vehicles (especially with similar ride heights) a yeti more than holds its own.

Something in that video makes no sense. The Merc has the snow cleared from around it on flat ground and not only can it not be moved under it's own power, it couldn't be easily pulled out.

I have seen 2wd cars more mobile, was there an obstacle hidden in the snow we couldn't see? Was traction control shutting it down?

3 Years ago i had a 'Motability' leased for 3 years Hyundia i30 1.6 TD Automatic.

I got it in October & returned it Before October the next year,

It was undrivable the First time it met Snow.

I was in Aberdeen & it started to snow when i was parked up.

It was already starting to freeze from freezing rain earlier.

No problem thought i, ECO tyres, but i will get home OK.

I could not drive forward out the parking place.

Everytime i tried to go forward the ESP came in, the wheels started to spin and the power cut.

I got pushed,after putting down some grit, as i started to move the Brakes would start to lock & the car started to Slide.

Had to leave it untill the snow got Deeper.

Other cars were starting to get stuck, & being Aberdeen, they were Audis', BMW's, RR Sports etc, all on Low Profiles, & drivers without a clue.

I LOOKED EQUALLY AS STUPID AND CLUELESS ON HOW TO DRIVE IN AN INCH OR 2 OF SNOW.

The old and cheap hatchbacks were just driving away like they usually would.

Once the snow was deeper, I managed to get the car forward & turned with people pushing & then reversed 100 yards or so in a straight line and get out to the road.

Headed home very carefully for 55 miles in the totally hopeless motor & parked it up for that winter.

At least basic and cheap automatic Corsas, Puntos etc had Snow Buttons or the likes,

that Hyundia had nothing, you could try to swtch everything off but then the Turbo would still kick in if the wheels did spin.

I had Toyota iQ Multidrives (CVT), they were great in the snow, you could switch everything off, but actually they were great with all the electrics on.

Just as the Daf & Volvo CVT's were years back.

I had a Volvo 343 Rear Wheel drive CVT and it was amazing with Stirling Snow Remoulds fitted.

george

I haven't ever had to try and deal with a foot of snow and imagine that beaching or building up a load of snow by "snowploughing" are a problem which only a high riding vehicle can really deal with. I have had significant experience of 4-6" falls however and the last of them (in a Leon FR Tfsi dsg) was a significant part of the reason for choosing my Yeti. Two years running I was able to make progress but only with difficulty and once only just made it home through an untreated A road with others literally sliding off into roadside ditches.

It is optimistic in the extreme to expect any road based "soft roader" to do work which even dedicated off road vehicles find a challenge. Aggressive treaded tyres and big ground clearance have a place but don't work for everyday all year round road use.

In last winters snow I was extremely impressed by the capability of my Yeti on 205/16 Conti winters. It was easily capable of dealing with conditions. Some people here do do serious off road work and find the Yeti extremely useful-including rescue work.

I have heard wonderful tales from people I trust about the all weather ability of light vehicles with skinny tyres-old style panda 4x4s and Subaru Justys being very well thought of. The fact a simple hatchback out performs an i30 doesn't surprise me at all -I have read nothing about the Hyundai to suggest it is any thing more than a well made and reasonably priced saloon with pretensions.

The Yeti -especially with Haldex and appropriate tyres is a serious vehicle with reasonable ground clearance-that's why they work.

Two years ago my octavia was brilliant on nokians but then I beached it on snow just outside my parents' house. That played a big part in my decision to switch to a yeti when I next changed.

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk 2

Something in that video makes no sense. The Merc has the snow cleared from around it on flat ground and not only can it not be moved under it's own power, it couldn't be easily pulled out.

I have seen 2wd cars more mobile, was there an obstacle hidden in the snow we couldn't see? Was traction control shutting it down?

When it pulls away it looks like it might have been beached on the snow between the wheels.

Far be it for me to cast doubt on people's ability to drive in snowy conditions, but if you look very closely at the video of the merc and pause it at 3:45 you will see that the driver is possibly a .......................................................................................... Woman!

Careful!

From my experience of teaching people to drive off-road it was often the women who were better pupils!

They listened, didn't think they knew better, and most importantly, we used to say, didn't have balls!!

Can't see the video (at work) but I wonder whether the Merc is like the Yeti, Freelander and other Haldex/viscous coupling equipped vehicles, where you have to keep the power ON to get everything to work, whereas the natural instinct is to lift off when the spinning wheels are sensed.

• Like 1