DMF vrs SMF advice- Octavia 2.0

See the link I posted above.

The PD170 has less vibration due to better control of the injectors, so you win some you lose some.

The PD140 is fine on an SMF.

I don't disagree you need a decent mass of flywheel, but once the springs start playing up on a DMF, you're likely to do as much bad as good.

It's always a trade off, but as I said, how many people change the box oil at 50k and have the box off to and checked just in case?

I had a Southbend Silent Stage2 Daily (Organic) Clutch and SMF fitted to my Stage2 Leon PD170, i also had THS FR3 Engine mounts fitted which made the whole car vibrate.

It was fitted by Unit 18, initial thoughts where it was VERY loud (even thought it was supposed to be silent), after about 2k miles it will still loud, sometimes you would dip the clutch and it would be silent but then after a few seconds it would come back loud, Also when crusing slowly it would make awful noises.

Apart from being loud though it felt amazing, car felt so much better, Pedal feel was great

When we removed it from the PD170 Leon (sold the leon) we noticed even though it had done 4k miles it wasnt worn in, mainly because i live in MK so i dont do alot of stop start driving

Ive got it sitting in my garage, it will fit in my new LCR, im half tempted to fit it to it (being a petrol it should be quieter), APR have said to me that Southbend kits are amazing but avoid the silent range this is what puts me off.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Southbend Silent Stage2 Daily (Organic) Clutch and SMF fitted to my Stage2 Leon PD170, i also had THS FR3 Engine mounts fitted which made the whole car vibrate.

It was fitted by Unit 18, initial thoughts where it was VERY loud (even thought it was supposed to be silent), after about 2k miles it will still loud, sometimes you would dip the clutch and it would be silent but then after a few seconds it would come back loud, Also when crusing slowly it would make awful noises.

Apart from being loud though it felt amazing, car felt so much better, Pedal feel was great

When we removed it from the PD170 Leon (sold the leon) we noticed even though it had done 4k miles it wasnt worn in, mainly because i live in MK so i dont do alot of stop start driving

Ive got it sitting in my garage, it will fit in my new LCR, im half tempted to fit it to it (being a petrol it should be quieter), APR have said to me that Southbend kits are amazing but avoid the silent range this is what puts me off.

That's a lightened SMF though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Sorry to rekindle an old post but I now find myself looking to change from a DMF to a SMF and clutch and have found this on flea bay which is the correct kit for my engine BMM same as Caddy...  (   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361476473643?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT  ) 

Anyone have any thoughts on this kit if its good value and product ????

I would very much steer away from anything supplied by Techniclutch. 

How they are still in business I really do not know.

Simply search for their business name for plenty of reasons why to avoid.

As an ex-Police car then I suspect this will be the main reason for the premature DMF failure.

I imagine if you went for another DMF then you'd get much more life out of it.

I appreciate Mikes thread relates to the 1.9 but there might be some useful information in here on suppliers that might be able to help with the 2.0 BMM...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/351670-solid-flywheel-conversion-19tdi-official-skoda-stance-and-part-numbers/

Edited by silver1011

• 4 months later...