Fitting a DAB radio to my octavia 2

Anyone got any experience having a dab car radio fitted to their Octavia 2 ?

I got a quote from the local uber modifications place for £380 fitted. But then looked at halfords and can get a lower spec radio fitted for < £100.

Specific question, does the dashboard still look OK if you change the radio ? Whats the difference between a magentic antenna and a windscreen mounted one, does the magnetic antenna require a cable going out the passenger door, that sounds a bit cr4p ?

Any car stereo manufacturers I should avoid ? Are halfords good at fitting, they won't make a mess of my dashboard fascia will they ?

Edited by nimchimpsky

Magnetic aerials are just like the ones you see on minicabs -they look carp as you say and the base can damage your paintwork and a cable will have to run in to the car -best at the boot opening. Windscreen mounted antennae are not supposed to be as good, however I have a Kenwood DAB A1 glued to the inside of my windscreen and it's been absolutely fine -looks like this:lrgscaleDAB-AntInCar_esp.jpg

You might want to look on eBay for a VW stereo with DAB (make sure that you get one with a code) and it will just slot in in place of the Skoda one and look nearly identical, without the need for any fascia adapters and changes to the wiring. Save for the additional aerial.

Re. Halfords or any installer really some are good and some are absolutely hopeless, it's a bit of a case of pot luck.

I saw a splitter on eBay the replaces the original aerial.(So FM/AM/DAB with one aerial). Are these any good?

Like the one in this listing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170819391871?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I saw a splitter on eBay the replaces the original aerial.(So FM/AM/DAB with one aerial). Are these any good?

Like the one in this listing: http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1438.l2649

That's a whole new aerial in that listing which has connections for both DAB and FM -it will also require a power connection to switched live. Hirschmann is a good brand and I'm sure will do the job but it's a job to fit -you'll need to take out the headliner in your car to fit it and you'll also need a wiring harness adapter to fit that stereo in your car.

I am thinking of getting this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Fabia-Octavia-Yeti-AutoDAB-Digital-DAB-Car-Radio-Interface-Adaptor-/350570962299?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item519fa85d7b&_uhb=1#ht_3146wt_1378 they sold it in Halfrauds but it doesn't seem to be there any more, just need to add a decent aerial.

I am thinking of getting this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Fabia-Octavia-Yeti-AutoDAB-Digital-DAB-Car-Radio-Interface-Adaptor-/350570962299?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item519fa85d7b&_uhb=1#ht_3146wt_1378 they sold it in Halfrauds but it doesn't seem to be there any more, just need to add a decent aerial.

They still do mate, I'm thinking of getting it fitted here's the link

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_874533_langId_-1_categoryId_265865

Edited by carabus901

Important things to note about the AutoDAB system. You must have the multifunction steering wheel (with controls for the stereo) to use this. Also the signal if converted in to FM and sent to the stereo so there will be a slight quality loss. There should not be any interference though as it is done by sending the signal in to the aerial lead.

Important things to note about the AutoDAB system. You must have the multifunction steering wheel (with controls for the stereo) to use this. Also the signal if converted in to FM and sent to the stereo so there will be a slight quality loss. There should not be any interference though as it is done by sending the signal in to the aerial lead.

It looks like you are right

I researched the ins and outs of a cat's backside out of all the options I could find for fitting DAB in to my Fabia and AutoDab got ruled out because I don't have a multifunction steering wheel. I settled on a VW RCD 310DAB off eBay, all in with the aerial cost me £155.

I researched the ins and outs of a cat's backside out of all the options I could find for fitting DAB in to my Fabia and AutoDab got ruled out because I don't have a multifunction steering wheel. I settled on a VW RCD 310DAB off eBay, all in with the aerial cost me £155.

Not a bad shout, new one have black with white text but don't look as nice as the balero, new on fleabay £205 BIN or some for auction around £50 at the moment

Not a bad shout, new one have black with white text but don't look as nice as the balero, new on fleabay £205 BIN or some for auction around £50 at the moment

If you want the VW equivalent of the Bolero then you should be looking at the RCD510 -more money though. I don't like touch screens for car radios -you need to look at them rather than feeling for a button

That's an interesting option, I take it you can't change the colour of the red backlight?

That's an interesting option, I take it you can't change the colour of the red backlight?

No the keys are indeed backlit in red. The display is the same as the Swing -white text on black -there are some earlier RCD310 units that have a blue backlit LCD which is a bit naff

No the keys are indeed backlit in red. The display is the same as the Swing -white text on black -there are some earlier RCD310 units that have a blue backlit LCD which is a bit naff

Thanks, is it the same size/shape as the columbus? Difficult to gauge looking at the pics on my phone.

The VW and equivalent Skoda units are exactly the same shape and size and all the plugs and connections are the same making fitting very easy and all extras like MDI, reversing sensors should just work. Running the aerial for the DAB is the hard bit but you will have to do this with any DAB

I know there's probably loads of others, but it might be worth giving these guys a bell. My mate was looking to do the same in his a4 cabriolet and they guys in here had apprently played around a LOT with different aerials to work out which ones were any good or shat. Don't know how many stereo places have looked into this specifically MORE than just the headunits.

http://www.johnkleis.com/