VRs Warped Rear Brake Discs?

Recently I have noticed a strange rubbing kind of noise coming from my rear brakes. I have jacked the car up and spun the wheels, and the noise is coming from both wheels and isnt constant. I must have had a small stone caught somewhere on one of the discs, as there is a small grove in the disc, but nothing major or to worry about. I have taken the wheels off and looked to see if anything is stuck or caught anywhere, but nothing!

Does anyone have any ideas, are warped discs a common issue, would they be covered under warranty especially as the car has only done 10,000 miles.

If they are warped it would be at the same point in the wheels rotation that you get the sound, and you should feel a pulsing through the brake pedal.

Are you sure that it isn't the dust shield catching?

The only other thing it could really be is a wheel bearing, but at 10k that is unlikely.

If they are warped it would be at the same point in the wheels rotation that you get the sound, and you should feel a pulsing through the brake pedal.

Are you sure that it isn't the dust shield catching?

The only other thing it could really be is a wheel bearing, but at 10k that is unlikely.

The sound is coming at the same point as the wheel rotates, which led me to think it was a case of warped discs, but there is no pulsing through the pedal, which maybe because its so slight!?

I dont think its the dust shields catching, certainly wasnt obvious!

Doubt they are warped, more like they've got some debris/surface rust on them where the brake pads have been sat in one spot, possibly the handbrake after a spirited drive.

Do a series of 70mph to 10mph almost emergency stops and see if this cleans them up.

You can find instructions on bedding in your brakes this way on stoptech etc or a search in here.

Obvious disclaimer about making sure it's safe to do this and looking out for other cars/conditions etc applies.

Doubt they are warped, more like they've got some debris/surface rust on them where the brake pads have been sat in one spot, possibly the handbrake after a spirited drive.

Do a series of 70mph to 10mph almost emergency stops and see if this cleans them up.

You can find instructions on bedding in your brakes this way on stoptech etc or a search in here.

Obvious disclaimer about making sure it's safe to do this and looking out for other cars/conditions etc applies.

I would totally agree with this quote as same thing exactly on mine at 13,000 mls, looked at rear passenger side disc and saw shape of pad engrained on disc, almost as though it had either rusted or left some of the pad on it when handbrake left on. When I braked it was as though there was a pulsing sound and also sensation from the back nearside. Couldn't understand this as car is used daily on a 30 mile round trip and I really look after it.Took to Skoda dealer who told me to do same thing, i.e. brake heavily several times from high speed!What I actually did was to apply handbrake on a long downhill gradient gradually increasing its application pressure. Did this over a period of a week and the corrosion or whatever it was disappeared and braking became smooth.I believe as the brake force distribution goes mainly to the front discs when footbrake is applied with much less pressure to rear discs then, by applying the handbrake in the way I did it worked the rears harder and therefore cleared the problem 'scum' from the steel.Shame i had to do this on quite a new car though!!

• 6 months later...

Up-date: Due to this problem recurring and abnd getting much worse on both rear discs between 13000 and 25000 miles, Skoda garage (Sinclair Swansea)replaced both plus their pads for free under their customer care scheme. All Skoda workshop tests showed that the car's braking was within MOT tolerances with no unevenness so Skoda UK deemed themselves unable to pay fully for replacement.

However, due to their unsightly rusty, scored appearance together with nasty pulsing feeling when braking the garage management, after representations on my behalf by the service manager (Simeon) agreed to contribute to costs under 'Customer Care' reasoning with Skoda UK funding the rest.

Good result due to patient persistence.

Up-date: Due to this problem recurring and getting much worse on both rear discs between 13000 and 25000 miles, Skoda garage (Sinclair Swansea)replaced both plus their pads for free under their customer care scheme. All Skoda workshop tests showed that the car's braking was within MOT tolerances with no unevenness so Skoda UK deemed themselves unable to pay fully for replacement.

However, due to their unsightly rusty, scored appearance together with nasty pulsing feeling when braking the garage management, after representations on my behalf by the service manager (Simeon) agreed to contribute to costs under 'Customer Care' reasoning with Skoda UK funding the rest.

Good result due to patient persistence.

I had the same "issues" with a few km on mine non vrs. The rear did more than front. At rear I just put some grease where the pads sit themselves on the caliper. Need to take out caliper.I have just a tad over 66000km on mine and the pads and disks are original. I believe my pads will last until the 75k mark. Not bad.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I would totally agree with this quote as same thing exactly on mine at 13,000 mls, looked at rear passenger side disc and saw shape of pad engrained on disc, almost as though it had either rusted or left some of the pad on it when handbrake left on. When I braked it was as though there was a pulsing sound and also sensation from the back nearside. Couldn't understand this as car is used daily on a 30 mile round trip and I really look after it.Took to Skoda dealer who told me to do same thing, i.e. brake heavily several times from high speed!What I actually did was to apply handbrake on a long downhill gradient gradually increasing its application pressure. Did this over a period of a week and the corrosion or whatever it was disappeared and braking became smooth.I believe as the brake force distribution goes mainly to the front discs when footbrake is applied with much less pressure to rear discs then, by applying the handbrake in the way I did it worked the rears harder and therefore cleared the problem 'scum' from the steel.Shame i had to do this on quite a new car though!!

I was taught that you only braked with the handbrake on tight corners.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 2