Would you buy a new Octavia VRS...?

The missus and I are thinking that, as we no longer need two cars, we might swap our Fabia and Superb for either a Yeti, or an Octavia VRS.

We've driven them both and like them both for different reasons, although I'll have to come to terms with far fewer toys which ever we go for.

Anyway, my dealer has advised me that the new Octavia is due out in March 2013, with the new VRS due in June 2013 (yep, just 3 months later). He showed me a flyer from SkokaUK which gave the programme for new cars over the next two years. I appreciate that dates can slip, but the Rapid was listed as November and that still seems to be the case, so no slippage there.

The question in the back of our minds is whether buying a current Octy VRS would be like throwing our money down the drain? Ok, I know that cars are updated/facelifted more frequently these days, but with it being just 6-9 months away, it could make quite a difference to the trade-in value in say another 12 to 18 months.

So, we're just a bit stuck, as we thought the manual VRS was a great car to drive (albeit with hardly any toys).

Any thoughts...?

Now's not really the best time to buy a new vRS as the new one comes out next year. Why don't you just wait? As for "toys", they've never really interested me; it just needs the basics.

Of the 2 cars you are considering looking at your current cars, you'd be better off in a VRS IMHO. For space performance etc. Both are excellent cars, having a hot rod Yeti it is suprisingly fun comapred to same engine in the VRS. But space is an issue. But you gain class leading 4X4 SUV ability.

Good points about buying one new just now, but looks at the Blackline edition VRS looks like the best offer deal on a "specced" up VRS. Not really a Special or LE, but some prices I have seen for that are very keen. New VRS in 2013 or not.

BTW one car that makes perfect sense to me after owning a couple of VRS estates (1.8T & CR170) & Yeti CR170 is the Superb Elegance Estate CR170 4x4. Really struggling to see past it even with the approach of a new VRS Octavia Estate.

I've a new VRS on order, some good deals to be had. The new Octavia will be bigger and more expensive and I can't see the exceptional new offers at the moment being carried across.

You'll get a good deal on a Blackline right now but depreciation will be heavy when the new Mk3 comes out next year. When the new one hits the forecourt that might well be a good time to pick up a new Mk2.

I've a new VRS on order, some good deals to be had. The new Octavia will be bigger and more expensive and I can't see the exceptional new offers at the moment being carried across.

I have to agree, I also have a new vrs on order and I doubt you will see the deals on them, like vat free plus an extra £500 off and free servicing, got mine from DTD at £16500 with maxidot, parking sensors and spare wheel a bargain plus how much would you lose on the value of your cars buy next summer.

We've just ordered a new Octavia VRS.

We really liked the idea of a Yeti, but couldn't justify the extra money. Skoda have made the Octavia difficult to ignore at the minute; for the same money as our Octy (with 170ps, leather, satnav, parking sensors, cruise, etc.) we could have got a 1.2 Yeti SE or a 105ps Yeti S.

Why would they discount the Yeti when they're selling them faster than they can build them? If (when) they discount the Yeti in the future, we'll no doubt look at P/Xing the Octy against one, but at the minute the maths really counts against the Yeti.

I went from a vrs to a yeti and the yeti is by far the better of the two IMO. The weakness is the size of the boot but the overall flexibility of that interior wins over IMO. The VRS is a bargain now its at the end of its life - especially the run out Blackline models with an additional £1900 of kit for free included. You could wait a little longer though as they will be getting very keen to shift the final builds. Depreciation on the car will be weak with the new model so near IMO. Yeti every time for me though. :-)

You'll get a good deal on a Blackline right now but depreciation will be heavy when the new Mk3 comes out next year. When the new one hits the forecourt that might well be a good time to pick up a new Mk2.

I wish I could have picked up a mk2 now from the forecourt but had to order my silver petrol version from the factory as they just don't have any stock at all unless I wanted a green vrs.

Edited by themul

BTW one car that makes perfect sense to me... ...is the Superb Elegance Estate CR170 4x4. Really struggling to see past it.

Tell me about it. I've got the Superb Elegance Estate DSG CR170 at the moment, and even after 18 months of ownership I still love going for a drive, just for the pleasure.

The only reason we're thinking of 'possibly' getting rid is because a) the missus has never driven an auto and feels unsure about trying it, and B) we just don't use the 'aircraft hanger' of a boot.

I will get the missus to try the DSG, although she's got her heart set on a Race Blue VRS...!!

I do also wonder if the offers on the VRS could get even better on the run up to the launch of the new model...!?

The only reason we're thinking of 'possibly' getting rid is because a) the missus has never driven an auto and feels unsure about trying it, and B) we just don't use the 'aircraft hanger' of a boot.

I will get the missus to try the DSG, although she's got her heart set on a Race Blue VRS...!!

We were in the same boat, SWMBO had never driven any kind of auto either and she was determined to keep it that way!

Until we test drove the Fabia vRS (DSG only), after initially trying to put us all through the windscreen :o by dipping the 'clutch' (brake pedal!) to go for 2nd gear, I politely told her to put her left foot on the 'foot rest' and LEAVE IT THERE!!

She then absolutely loved it!!

Race blue is certainly the best colour ..... but just about everyone has it, so the appeal has worn off it for me.

I personally think you are mad to leave a Superb Elegance Combi for anything else made by Skoda. :angel:

Trust me guys the offers on offer when a new model comes in are staggering....I picked up my LE 500, when theb FL Oct II came out. Astonishing bargains. Excpect to seen cancelled orders at dealers for the current VRS, and fully loaded ones too.

I will say again though there are a lot of VRS guys seeing the benefit in the Yeti/Superb with a 1.8TSI or CR170 4x4. Skoda own "Quattro" branding....!

If the MkIII vRS is due out in June 2013 then this is the time to buy your MkII vRS.

It'll shed money like a stone but it'll also be the cheapest MkII vRS there will have ever been!

That's my view too, well summed up. It'll loose a heap but for a little over 15k its a bargain barge with sporty pretentious, especially as a blackline. The deals will only get better leading up to the new year (or until they announce it's not being built any more) so if you are looking to buy soon I don't think you can loose out.

The issue is how you finance the car, if you pay cash then expect to lose shed loads of cash over the next few years, but if its a keeper for several years then that doesnt matter, if you buy on a PCP then you have a guaranteed value anyway, so no major issue.

Also, the current deals are just great, the new one wont come anywhere close to it finance wise, take the Citigo for example, no movement from teh dealers on it at all, go through DTD and spec one up and they save you £40, so I suspect the new Octavia will be similar, you will probably still get the 3 years servicing but that will be it, if you cant get a Blackline VRS then with all the kit they are cracking value for money.

But I would seriously get your wife to drive the DSG, my wife was always 'NO' I am never having an auto etc etc etc, but as the vRS was going to be my car I said I am having it whether yoiu like it or not, we got it, she drove it, said it was nice and guess who gets left with the 10 year old bright green manual gearbox New Beetle with pink coloured air freshner more often than not..... and what is the wife driving!!!

Ordered my vRS last month... its a lease through the company scheme but i've been able to add extras that one of the lads couldnt hope to have this time last year when he got his.

I do agree with the comment on the Superb... i'd never considered them until i looked round one in the dealers and i do think its maybe the car for us after the Octy lease expires in a few years.

I suppose if the vRS is where your heart is you need to decide whether your bothered about a new version coming out next year or whether you can look past that and be happy in a mk2 FL with extras you probably wont stretch to in the new one... i know for me its the mk2 FL with extras. I dont even know what the next Octy and vRS is going to look like, it could be an abomination !