Winter tyres

vegit8

This is a popular talking point on the yeti thread, but as there are no Citigo's that have been through a winter period yet, I guess we are all in the same situation.

I have noticed passing comments in other threads on here regarding winter rubber.

For those that are considering a swap, what tyres are they considering.

We have a green tech on order which comes with low rolling resistance tyres.

The new tyre regs mean that each tyre now has a similar rating system to washing machines, and all the tyres I have looked at seem poor for fuel economy (which Is obvious), and hence higher rolling resistance.

On another point I'm not sure what SWMBO, will think about another wheel tree in the garage!

I read up on winter tyres and asked them to fit one of the following to mine.

Michelin Alpin A4 or Continental WinterContact TS 800

I was told that one of those tyres were normally fitted already.

These two tyres have won a number of tests in Danish magazines and online.

Last year I put Goodyear Ultragrip 8 tyres on my Fabia and I was impressed with them.

So for only £51 per corner I'll be buying the same again.

The standard Elegance alloys come with 175/65R14 tyres with the steel rims having 165/70R14 tyres.

I am going to fit 165/70R14s as I prefer a slightly narrower winter tyre while still retaining a stock size.

I can't believe how cheap Citygo tyres are! :)

I can't believe how cheap Citygo tyres are! :)

Daft isn't it - I paid more for Yeti winters than the cost of a tyre AND steel wheel on mytyres for the Citigo

Are they really needed? I'm going to invest in a set of TEX Car Snow Socks - XX Large

On a city car it depends where you live.

In London just pottering about I'd not be sure, but as I am in a village in Essex and winter tyres give better grip under +7c I say yes.

The difference between standard fit tyres in the UK and winter tyres at sub zero temps is noticable. In snow and ice it's even more noticable.

Snow socks will not give you any better grip at low temps and can only be used on snow. But they are cheaper.

You do have to take them off before driving on clear road and put them back on for patches of snow.

So you can't compare them to winter tyres IMO.

• Like 1

On a city car it depends where you live.

In London just pottering about I'd not be sure, but as I am in a village in Essex and winter tyres give better grip under +7c I say yes.

The difference between standard fit tyres in the UK and winter tyres at sub zero temps is noticable. In snow and ice it's even more noticable.

Snow socks will not give you any better grip at low temps and can only be used on snow. But they are cheaper.

You do have to take them off before driving on clear road and put them back on for patches of snow.

So you can't compare them to winter tyres IMO.

Richard just seen a great review on the citigo on YouTube from factory too London , seriously good little car, agree that you can't really compare but my bones are telling me a lot of snow this year !

Edited by seboni121

My local dealer is doing sets of steel wheels with winters on (Continentals) for about £350 fitted including VAT. That is for Octavias and similar. I will be asking if they do a set for the Citigo - they should be cheaper. I have used winters for several years now and they are well worth it. I'm just about to fit them to our Yeti. Yes we have a tire tree in our garage too lol.

What tyres have Citigo owners found on their cars?

The VW Up has Falken ( Sincera SN831A ECORUN ) fitted as standard. Saw it suggested, but not confirmed, that they are "All Season" tyres but have my doubts.

As BF pointed out, Citigo tyres are certainly not expensive compared to the Yeti. If I bought one I'd probably do the same as I've done on the i10 and fit the Goodyear Vector 4Seasons.

Edited by oldstan

Mine had Bridgestones, but traditionally Skoda supply various tyres with no pattern.

It seems you get the brand that Skoda got a good deal on that day.

We had two Yetis arrive a week apart with different brand tyres in the same size.

I did consider the Vector 4Seasons as we had them on a Yeti and they were good, but as they will only be for winter and not all year I've gone for the more focussed option of Ultragrip 8s from the same manufacturer. I did the same with my Fabia.

Ours has Continental premium contact tyres on. Don't know whether they are good or not, I'm no tyre expert but they seem to do the job well.

I have Uniroyal Rainsports on my other car, so will go with them when these expire.

Mick

Ordered my winter tyres for the Citygo last Thursday online from MyTyres.

They arrived today. 4 x 14" Goodyear Ultragrip 8 @ £51 each.

Can't complain about that!

Ordered my winter tyres for the Citygo last Thursday online from MyTyres.

They arrived today. 4 x 14" Goodyear Ultragrip 8 @ £51 each.

Can't complain about that!

This is the recent test of winter tyres from a number of European 'car organizations'.

http://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tests/reifen/winterreifen/2012_winterreifen_Test_165_70_R14.aspx?ComponentId=147044&SourcePageId=31821

Goodyear Ultragrip 8 is average but has the best performance on wet roads.

It's in German - so, 'ADAC Urteil' is the overall score - 'Trocken' is dry road - 'Nass' is wet road - 'Schnee' is snowy road - 'Eis' is icy road - 'Geräusch' is noise - 'Kraftstoffverbrauch' is fuel usage - 'Verschleiss' is wear.

'Gewichtung' is the percentage with which each category is weighted towards the final score.

A low number is best.

Haven't been able to find the British one (if there is one).

Had GoodYear Ultragrip 8's on my Fabia last year and I was very impressed with them, wear was low, grip was great and a good price and I'd get them again unless they come up with Ultragrip 9's.

Hi all

My new Skoda Citigo 1.0 Active 60HP, Spring green, will arrive this November, with the following winter tyres: Continental ContiWinterContact TS800 165/70 R14 T

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Continental/WinterContact-TS-800.htm

I'm not a tyre expert at all but i believe they should be able to withstand the weather pretty well.

• 1 month later...

lol... yes they do look quite similar ;) they will be going on the black 15's in the same 185/55/15 size :) just swopping them over rather than new wheels :) (we didn't get to keep the originals, as our car was technically second hand, having been a "fully loaded" skoda demonstrater before ;) )