UK Rapid prices announced

krob2

Just specced up a Rapid Elegance 1.2TSI with 17 in wheels, metallic paint, sports seats and satnav on the Czech configurator - 413800CZK (£13,378) so I would say there is a fair amount of movement possible in the UK prices!

Ha Ha Ha...

Wow if this is how they're pricing it, the value brands from Korea etc are going to be laughing all the way to the bank.

There is no way on earth I'd buy one of these at this price or anywhere near it.

If the prices for the S were the prices charged for an elegance, then they might get somewhere, but not a hope as they are.

Bang on!

Come on now - you can't let facts get in the way of a good whinge! :D

That price includes a lot of equipment and a nice long 7 year warranty.

When you put it up against the VAG offerings they don't compare.

It's kind of like skoda being cheap because of the badge, but they're not any more.

Evening Star - I hear what you're saying, you expected to be able to get a Rapig 1.4 TSI DSG and apparently for £14k or something.

To say that disillusioned you and so you're buying a 4x4 2.0 Diesel is not the same issue. I just looked on autotrader and that sort of car is up for £19k!! So not new Rapid money really.

I could say I'm a bit miffed that a Fabia VRS costs £18k, so I'm thinking of buying a used Range Rover Sport Supercharged for £30k, but it isn't relevant.

The prices look about right for what they are - a small saloon. The engine range is probably good for the car, maybe they don't want to offer it with the 1.4 TSI DSG, as they are the 3rd on the VAG list and there aren't enough to go around after Audi and VW have filled up their A3s and Golfs? Or maybe they're leaving it for later?

What would a 1.4 TSI DSG be - 140bhp? Get the 105 1.2 TSI?

No I expected to pay around £17-18k for a 1,4 TSi DSG Rapid, not far off what I paid for my 1,8 TSI Octy. If they'd offered that then I would more than likely have a Rapid.

However I have now become so disillusioned by Skoda's rather bizarre choice of engines for the Elegance trim Rapid I have decided to focus my new car selection elsewhere, on the list are Kia Sportage, Kia Cee'd, Seat Leon FR & Seat Toledo, I've even considered going back to VW! :o

Get the 105 1.2 TSI?

I'm wanting to test drive one of these. Then, if I like it, I have a decision to make - either commit to the payments on getting a Rapid on launch, or wait for 1-2 years for them to turn up on the SH market and get myself something else, like a 5 year old 1.9tdi Octy, or maybe a Jetta (which I've test driven and loved) in the mean time... Either way, I want to change my Fabia February/March ish next year, it's a little long in the tooth and £195 tax this year was ridiculous (I expect it to go up at least another £10 next year, too).

No I expected to pay around £17-18k for a 1,4 TSi DSG Rapid, not far off what I paid for my 1,8 TSI Octy. If they'd offered that then I would more than likely have a Rapid.

However I have now become so disillusioned by Skoda's rather bizarre choice of engines for the Elegance trim Rapid I have decided to focus my new car selection elsewhere, on the list are Kia Sportage, Kia Cee'd, Seat Leon FR & Seat Toledo, I've even considered going back to VW! :o

Well you can get a Rapid 1.4TSI DSG for just over £17k list but it's not an Elegance. Full agree that Skoda UK are stupid not to include it in the range (you should drop them an email and tell them so really). Ironic that you are considering the Toldeo, which is made by Skoda in the same factory as the Rapid, yet Seat are importing a spec which you would prefer.

Surprised at the cost of the SE 105Tdi CR which would be the car i would have considered. But baring in mind I no longer need the space, I really fancy a Volvo C30 e-drive for similar sort of money......albeit nearly new

Edited by threadbear

Just read Car magazine's First Drive review of the Toledo.

To paraphrase "We get the Skoda Rapid - VAG budget brand. We get the Golf - upmarket. But what's the point of SEAT - it's not fun and no different to the Skoda for quality, so pointless."

They praise the Skoda Rapid for what it is - a budget saloon. I just don't see where people are coming from with saying it's over priced. It fits between Fabia prices and Octavia, notwithstanding the final edition Octavia specials. That's price and space - the mag goes on to say that the Rapid/Toledo's 550 litre boot is enormous.

550 litres!! That's almost a Superb!

Have priced up a 1.6 TDI Elegance on both the UK and Czech configurators ticking pretty much all options boxes on both sites to get a roughly equal comparison (not too scientific I admit... but as a non-Czech speaker I hope this has eliminated any standard spec differences between CZ and UK variants).

The UK Rapid topped out at £21,295 while the Czech version was approximately £14,800 (depending on the exchange rate). Unless the Czech configurator does not include their sales tax @ 19% that is an awful big difference of nearly £6,500 even taking into account exchange rate fluctuations and transport costs.

Am unsure if the CZ new car market is structured in the same way as the UK one with haggling/discounting etc, but one assumes that the Skoda CZ dealers must also have sales margins and the ability to discount the £14,800 price even further as UK dealers would on the £21.295 price! Unless there is a massive content/technical difference on the CZ model that I’m not aware of?

Interestingly the 1.4TSI DSG appeared in Elegance trim on the CZ configurator so it is available even if SUK have decided not to offer it.

Also what is going on with certain of the Rapid’s ‘Safety Pack’ option? Why a third rear headrest is inextricably linked to hill hold and tyre pressure monitoring in the ‘Safety Pack’ is beyond me (unless it is a tacit admission by Skoda that if you have a fifth person in the car you’ll be struggling on hill-starts with certain of the engine options... :smirk: ) and if they aren’t available separately then why list them with separate prices?

Just realised the s doesn't have electric rear windows or aircon. I'd consider both essential as I have 3 kids and like the ability to open or close their windows and no way can I drive a car without air conditioning.

Add in the essential 3rd headrest and it comes out at £17,300 for the cheapest diesel SE. I want the boot space but I think a 12 month old focus would suit me better as a second car or maybe a late model Octavia...

Be interesting to see what these are priced at as the dealer demo's come on the market in 5 months. and I wonder what this means for Octovia III prices?

Unless I'm going a bit loopy, there is no Diesel S model listed.

And would you not be better off asking for a headrest separately? £200 for a headrest (as the other "safety features" seem pointless) is a bit steep.

Also, if you have 3 kids, are they too young to open their own windows (in which case don't need a headrest, as below the top of the seat), or old enough to open them (so get an Octavia run out model)?

I see this car and think this:

Bigger than Fabia (approx £10k-£15k? unless you go vRS)

Smaller than Octavia (£14-22k? unless you go vRS and discount run outs)

Ergo it sits between for price (£13-18k).

I had a quick look and for a like for like comparison to a Focus (new) or Golf (new), you don't get close, as these are both £20k-ish. I have no idea on Hyundai or Kia, but know htey're not as cheap as people think they are any more, as they are moving up a market segment or two, leaving bargain basement for Chevrolet (Daewoo in drag).

People on here seem to have lost the plot and expected to get a bigger car than a Fabia, for less money. I understand the frustration at not being able to get a Top spec DSG 122 model, but that's a different issue to getting something for nothing!

• Like 1

No you're not loopy PDIBK - theres no S with a diesel engine...

Pricing for the new Octavia is going to be interesting. The new Golf is roughly the same price as the old one - can't help feeling some Rapids are over-priced given the somewhat poor spec on offer. The new Octavia can't really go too high as people will just buy a Golf instead or a Superb - the Golf will always have better residuals.

Wonder if the VAT offers will continue - for the last 3 years Skoda have been continuously offering this discount on many models which I fear won't help residuals. My L & K is coming up for PCP end and values don't seem too great.

• 5 months later...

I'm wanting to test drive one of these. Then, if I like it, I have a decision to make - either commit to the payments on getting a Rapid on launch, or wait for 1-2 years for them to turn up on the SH market and get myself something else, like a 5 year old 1.9tdi Octy, or maybe a Jetta (which I've test driven and loved) in the mean time... Either way, I want to change my Fabia February/March ish next year, it's a little long in the tooth and £195 tax this year was ridiculous (I expect it to go up at least another £10 next year, too).

Hah!

Sorry for the thread revival, but I was actually trying to find a list of the 'Original' SE included equipment (can anyone point me to it?) and found this post I made ... pretty prophetic! I have indeed test driven (and subsequently bought) a 105PS SE... And if I'd kept my Fabia, it would have cost me more to tax.

• 2 weeks later...