Golf MK5 suspension

kadvr6

ok been offered a set of coilovers from off my mates 07 plate golf gti, they are KW V2's with the 55mm front strut.

Would these fit a skoda octavia 06 plate vrs?? Awesome gti say yes, Demon tweeks say no??

cheers

karl

will they fit - absolutely yes.

are the calibrated correctly for the car - probably not.

check out the part numbers on the kw web site - it is possible that they sell the same kit for fitment to the golf and octavia but unlikely. the octavia is a heavier car so i would expect it to be a different kit.

ok cheers for the input guys, i'm gonna buy them as he only wants £400 for them as i have helped him out many times on hes car, i may just look into getting some some higher rated springs to compensate for the extra weight after seeing how they feel.

brand new set of AP coilovers is only £480 from dpm and get great reviews plus they're designed for the car and you'd have a warranty.

has to be a better option than second hand units designed for a different vehicle?

ok cheers for the input guys, i'm gonna buy them as he only wants £400 for them as i have helped him out many times on hes car, i may just look into getting some some higher rated springs to compensate for the extra weight after seeing how they feel.

The springs are one part, the damper rates are the other. To go with firmer springs you need at a minimum more high speed rebound damping. It may be worth asking the agents for these coilovers how much to revalve and respring them for your car. It may still be attractive price wise.

I echo the comments here.

The kit needs to match the axle weights for the vehicle you're fitting them to. It's not really optional, as the car won't handle or ride properly and may lead to problems of an insurance nature...

Buy right, buy once :)

• 8 years later...
On 30/09/2012 at 16:13, kadvr6 said:

ok been offered a set of coilovers from off my mates 07 plate golf gti, they are KW V2's with the 55mm front strut.

Would these fit a skoda octavia 06 plate vrs?? Awesome gti say yes, Demon tweeks say no??

cheers

karl

Did you get the coils fitted

i dont know if he did, but he hasnt been on in 6 1/2 yrs, so.... you may be waiting for a reply. 

anyway, if you are looking getting coilovers, make sure they are an octy rated setup. the weights are different to a golf, esp the rear,  and it wont sit right.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

i dont know if he did, but he hasnt been on in 6 1/2 yrs, so.... you may be waiting for a reply. 

anyway, if you are looking getting coilovers, make sure they are an octy rated setup. the weights are different to a golf, esp the rear,  and it wont sit right.

Sorry but I laughed so hard at this 😅

Btw arent Golf and Octy basically same car. What does even mean to share the same platform

it means the basic chassis is the same, so seat mounting points, and suspension connections, engines mounting piints etc are in the same places, but the cars are designed up from that differently. 

so, are they "basically the same car" yes and no. the basic underpinnings are same, but they are not the same in terms of weight and weight distribution over the axles. 

• Thanks 1

I did check the weight on them both and it’s not much different depending on what model your looking at. Not to fused as I’ve got an opinion I’ve a set of Octavia springs or a full coil set off a golf. Think I’ll get the springs though. And buy some new struts. Cheers 🍻 

Yes they fit.

I have a  2007 1.8tsi Elegance M6 Hatch.

It has the following suspension parts:

Golf GTI rear sway bar

Audi S3 Alloy lower Control Arms and bushes

Eibach Springs for an Octavia wagon

Koni Yellows for a Golf GTI

It works really well.