flywheel n clutch conversion

Just a quick question what is the DMF? Double mass flywheel?

Nearly......dual mass flywheel. It's basically one flywheel inside another flywheel that is free to move independently from the outer flywheel to a degree, as they are linked by springs.

Does problem affect the 4x4? I am getting a problem with the clutch making a noise when pulling away. Mechanic friend says the clutch is on its way out.

DMF failure would usually produce a rattle at idle, and/or vibrations or knocking (sometimes severe) when accelerating (especially from low revs in high gear). A clutch making a noise when pulling away is not classic DMF failure symptoms, but you never know.

Yup was under warranty

G

Spoke to SKoda dealers in leicester they completely denied that they have ever done SMF conversion and its not advisable as my car is 131k its very dangerous for the crank shaft .The price for both fly wheels is same .

:sweat:

Spoke to SKoda dealers in leicester they completely denied that they have ever done SMF conversion and its not advisable as my car is 131k its very dangerous for the crank shaft .The price for both fly wheels is same .

:sweat:

I have heard this as well, but when I look into it further, it seems that certain engines were built with the DMF in mind, and the internals including the crank were lightened. I have had the conversion done on my 1.9 PD engine, but I notice that some places are reluctant to do the same conversion on 2.0 engines.

There is no doubt in my mind (due to the various threads on here) that Skoda themselves are carrying out plenty of conversions, and would they be happy to do that if they faced a warranty claim when the crank broke as the result of them fitting a SMF?

I think we need to differentiate between the 1.9 TDI and 2.0 TDI.

I think there is plenty if anecdotal evidence to prove the SMF conversion works very well and is safe on the 1.9 TDI...........not the case with the 2.0 TDI. It may actually be fine on the 2.0 TDI .....But I have yet to hear first hand from anyone on this forum who has had a SMF put onto a 2.0 TDI.

• Like 1

I think we need to differentiate between the 1.9 TDI and 2.0 TDI.

I think there is plenty if anecdotal evidence to prove the SMF conversion works very well and is safe on the 1.9 TDI...........not the case with the 2.0 TDI. It may actually be fine on the 2.0 TDI .....But I have yet to hear first hand from anyone on this forum who has had a SMF put onto a 2.0 TDI.

Well mine is 1,9 tDI 105bhp with bkc engine with 131k , dealer asked me if it is taxi i said yes he said these cars have DMF because of some reason if change it you will damage the engine.and they have never done SMF and its not recomended.

he said these cars have DMF because of some reason

That statement may be correct. However plenty of dealers fit SMF to 1.9's, and there are plenty around that have done over 100,000 miles on SMF's with no problems.

Skippy41's taxi is also a PD 105 TDI, SMF hasn't hurt that in 230k miles.

The dealer is speaking against all the others, and also against what Skoda UK is telling the dealers to do on warranty claims.

Ignore what the dealer is saying,and take advice from us all on here,from Skoda UK,and from the majority of the other dealers are all saying. It will be the best thing you can do to the car, and will be so much more refined, smooter, quieter, and more economical with the SMF. And if the clutch ever wears out again, it's a much cheaper job as it will involve just a clutch change, and not a clutch and yet another flywheel.

Still not convinced? Have a read of the threads on seatcupra.net, VWaudiforum, TDIclub etc, all these cars use the same VAG engine, and you'll find it's not just us on Briskoda that are recommending the SMF conversion. It is across the whole range of VAG forums. Sorry, but I'd rather take advice from hundreds of satisfied users than the word of one dealer who is against everyone else, including the very one (Skoda UK) who has given them the franchise to supposedly carry out what they want, without argueing that they want to do their own thing (and charge the customer far more in the process)

Mike

Agree with you Mike

If Skoda don't recommend SMF, then how come they not just offer but prefer to replace a failed DMF on the 1.9 with SMF? The folks in your dealer are talking out of their backsides. It's a genuine VAG part, with a VAG part number, what the hell are they talking about, Skoda don't recommend?

And what has higher mileage got to do with it? Many folk on here with mileages far higher than yours running on SMF

Mike

The old saying applies here Mike:

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Head, bashing and brick wall spring to mind.

Finally decided for SMF.

Mike / Skippy41 which SMF kit do you guys recommend for taxi with 131k miles on the clock , and what is the best place to buy that kit from.

As having very little knowledge of engines, what other things should i change while changing the DMF.

Any other members with first hand experience .

Many thanks

It should not cost any more than £450 fully fitted at any Skoda Seat or VW Audi dealer, thats what it cost me when I had mine done the first time, when the clutch came up for renewal it only cost £200 as it was just a clutch kit and fitting, I have the LUK one in mine, Saks also make them

Mike keep up its done 225,000 now :rofl::giggle:

Edited by skippy41

Ok thanks for that.

I quite like my Octavia but its done 80,000 miles and expect the DMF will go sometime. So wondering whether to sell or stick wth it. If the latter then will be facing £450.

It still needs a new AC compressor, running around on a short belt. The cheapest I could find one for is £210 plus £90 to fit and gas. So I will have to pay out about £750 if I keep it. ???

May be better to cut my losses.

ok guys found this on ebay, comments please

looks to me very cheap

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a6d11cb01

:think:

Go for it,and get a back street garage to fit it unless you know someone, I would not worry about the AC mine hasn't worked for nearly 2 years, where did you get the small belt from to bypass the pump???

That looks encouraging. I presume it will fit the Skoda.

Skippy:

the mechanic who took the old compressor off fitted the belt for me. I got a new compressor from Europarts in the summer - but when I had it fitted - it DID NOT WORK. It caused me a lot of grief, expense before they gave me a refund.

Go for it,and get a back street garage to fit it unless you know someone, I would not worry about the AC mine hasn't worked for nearly 2 years, where did you get the small belt from to bypass the pump???

This kit looks to me bit strange if i compare it with the same kit from other sellers on ebay, this clutch has 8 springs in it usually clutch has four springs.

for example this one has four springs and there is big price difference

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150841429673?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

In the following listing he did not mention that the flywheel is from valeo. very confused now

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250937985793?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Which one should i go for.

This kit looks to me bit strange if i compare it with the same kit from other sellers on ebay, this clutch has 8 springs in it usually clutch has four springs.

for example this one has four springs and there is big price difference

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

In the following listing he did not mention that the flywheel is from valeo. very confused now

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

Which one should i go for.

Does any one know what is the difference between these two

thanks