Steering Wheel Cleaning

MartynVRS

Two separate wheels but both need cleaning. My vRS wheel needs something to slow down it wearing shiny with dirt and everyday grime your hands touch. Not sure if it's leather/fake leather or not or what's best to use.

The other, more serious problem is my brother's Swift Sport. Drove it today and realised how shiny and slippery his wheel was. The garage he bought it off must have used some interior cleaning crap and it didn't leave me with confidence when driving it. What's the best way to take it off?

• Like 1

+1,

On my old 1.4 Bohemia it came with the sports steering wheel, and that managed to stay matt up to around 50k...

I wiped it weekly with a leather wipe that was a little textured, I think this really helped lift the smoothed out grease easily.

However on my used RS, the wheel it a little shiney and I'd also like to take it back to matt.

Just not had a chance to pop to halfords yet!

Looks like they've got 3 for 2 again!

Leon

Hi, for the first time I recently used Auto glym leather cleaner on the Fun and it brought it up really well. It didn't look all that dirty but was amazed how much dirt/grime it lifted off. I tend to use a cover on the steering wheel which removes the problem with shine/grip and just pop it off and clean as and when necessary :happy:

I don't think my brothers wheel is leather, more fake plastic (with stitching) like most jap cars. Did try really diluted white vinegar on a cloth to get it off but no luck. I'll buy some leather cleaner for mine and try it on his too

I have found that the best thing for cleaning EVERYTHING (inside the car) from the door kick strips, dash, steering wheel, seats (if leather) and also your hands if you get oil on them, also for cleaning engine covers and, well everything are cheap baby wipes!

They are really good, my daughter uses them to clean her expensive shoes, my lad cleaned a whole bike with them and I use them on the Yeti and Fabia, I don't buy expensive johnsons wipes, just cheapo's from B&M or Aldi. Try them they are great.

• Like 1

I agree with James... I've always kept a pack of them in the car when the kids were small. but now it''s just out of habit. Really good at attracting thos little dust particles that get everywhere without leaving annoying smears. Don't use them on your leather seats though, the moisture tends to dry out much quicker than the pucker stuff like Autoglym.

Got introduced to a new technique re this issue today - thinners! I wasn't convinced but when I got home today I took a mf cloth and some thinners to my 1996 Lexus' steering wheel which was very shiny indeed and now it has a much duller tone and doesn't slip through the hands. Much better.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest George512

Interesting tips in this thread - particularly with the baby wipes!

Up until now I've just used AG Interior Shampoo and a microfibre which has been great for most things - steering wheels included.

Baby wipes are great for very occasional use, but as they have alcohol in them they will not be doing the leather any favours (they are fine on plastic steering wheels mind).

I use Dr. Leather wipes on mine (as well as on the seats) brings them all back to looking like new again.

I read a thing called a 'magic sponge' was good for it??

Its a mild abrasive so you are just rubbing off a layer of the wheel, do not use. :)

Normal leather cleaner and conditioner works fine on the wheel, however it doesn't stay matt/grippy for long. :(