how small can you go for winter tyres?

i have just got a Superb II 2008 (MY 2009)

it comes with

225/40 R18 92Y XL tyres

im wondering if it is better to get the same size in winter tyres or move down in size and get some 15" or 16" wheels and winter tyres?

the XL bothers me in the smaller tyres as im not sure if smaller tyres come in XL?

what size tyres are the best to keep the rolling circumfrance etc?

i have read the threads on here but am confused as to what will fit and what wont fit?

thanks in advance guys i appreciate any help/advice you can give me

The manual isn't exactly helpful is it ? You would think that a car that was made in Eastern Europe would have lots of advice on what winter tyre sizes to use, but nope there is nothing. Even the manual for my Fiat Doblo lists the acceptable winter tyre sizes as does my Ford. The Superb manual unbelievably doesn't even have a section on what the tyre pressures should be let alone the sizes. Strange.

I am sold on winter tyres. Last winter I easily passed two 4wd cars stuck on steep hills in my 2WD Fiat on winter tyres, and I managed to pull another car out of a deep gutter that was stuck in 3 inches of snow. The difference can be amazing, most people are sceptical until they try them in anger.

i have just got a Superb II 2008 (MY 2009)

it comes with

225/40 R18 92Y XL tyres

im wondering if it is better to get the same size in winter tyres or move down in size and get some 15" or 16" wheels and winter tyres?

the XL bothers me in the smaller tyres as im not sure if smaller tyres come in XL?

what size tyres are the best to keep the rolling circumfrance etc?

i have read the threads on here but am confused as to what will fit and what wont fit?

thanks in advance guys i appreciate any help/advice you can give me

Hi!

This depends on your type of winters. European winters with little snow you should be able to keep the size but that will probably cost you more.

If you´re not so picky about the size I would go for the 16 inches to a more reasonable cost than the 18:s. And with the load index of 94... I'm very sceptical on the option of 15, would not fit I'm afraid.

/Superbjoser

Edited by Superbjoser

You are probably right, the 205's on 16 inch rims like on the Greenline would be about as narrow as I would want to go. You may start to get into tyre load limit problems on narrower sizes.

The manual isn't exactly helpful is it ? You would think that a car that was made in Eastern Europe would have lots of advice on what winter tyre sizes to use, but nope there is nothing. Even the manual for my Fiat Doblo lists the acceptable winter tyre sizes as does my Ford. The Superb manual unbelievably doesn't even have a section on what the tyre pressures should be let alone the sizes. Strange.

I am sold on winter tyres. Last winter I easily passed two 4wd cars stuck on steep hills in my 2WD Fiat on winter tyres, and I managed to pull another car out of a deep gutter that was stuck in 3 inches of snow. The difference can be amazing, most people are sceptical until they try them in anger.

i dont have the manual yet as i dont collect until Wednesday but have downloaded one that doesnt say

its not just the snow its the 3 am - temps and ice i need them for

i will be coming out of a rural area (5 miles) then onto motorway and then b roads so need something to keep me on the road better than summer tyres

Hi!

This depends on your type of winters. European winters with little snow you should be able to keep the size but that will probably cost you more.

If you´re not so picky about the size I would go for the 16 inches to a more reasonable cost than the 18:s And with the load index of 94... I'm very sceptical on the option of 15, would not fit I'm afraid.

/Superbjoser

the 16s seem to offer the best value when put onto some used rims

im sure my insurance company would be ok with this

as for what winters we have i suppose they are the same as Northern Europe with snow not being as important as low temp & ice etc

I use 215 55 16 winter tyres with no problems, this will be my first year with winter tyres and 4x4. On previous years using winter tyres and on 2wd i have never had any problems.

The major disadvantages of 215/55R16 vs 205/55r16 are their price and availability. 205/55R16 94V is about 20% cheaper than 215/55R16. Moreover, it is quite difficult to get 215/55r16 with the correct (V) speedrating.

The latest Skoda Superb manual while hopeless on most things relating to tyres, does say that it is acceptable to use a lower speed tyre in Winter. The fact that the manufacturer is saying that would probably make it difficult for an insurance company to disagree if there was an issue. The exact words in my manual are;

"Winter tyres of a lower speed category can be used provided that the permissible

maximum speed of these tyres is not exceeded even if the possible maximum

speed of the vehicle is higher"

Edited by Pesmog

so if i go with the 205/55/16 v rated do i need the xl?

is the rolling circumfrance ok?

i also presume i need 5x112 7.5j wheels?

cheers guys

it is so confusing lol

Just went out a quickie to have a look at mine. Goodyears of some kind, non-studded, 205/55/16 94T. According to my manual this means a speed limit of 118 mph, a theoretical speed in the winter season IMHO. More important is the load index of 94. The question about the rims, I have no clue. That's for the workshop to deal with.. :giggle: Your local dealer should know.

/Superbjoser

so if i go with the 205/55/16 v rated do i need the xl?

is the rolling circumfrance ok?

i also presume i need 5x112 7.5j wheels?

cheers guys

it is so confusing lol

I checked the spare wheel today and it says it's 7J ET45 :blush:

by the looks of things i may as well just put 18" winter tyres on

i can get these for around £375 depending on what make

it will cost £500+ to go for 16" rims and winter tyres

by the looks of things i may as well just put 18" winter tyres on

i can get these for around £375 depending on what make

it will cost £500+ to go for 16" rims and winter tyres

600 pounds cost Goodyear UG8/Dunlop 4D plus brand new steel rims (16" 205/55). The same tires in size 18" cost ~600 pounds (fitted). Assuming you need to swap tires winter/summer (12GBP*4 + 12GBP*4 = 96 quids), in 2 years with 400 pounds 18" tires you will be close to 600 pounds...

600 pounds cost Goodyear UG8/Dunlop 4D plus brand new steel rims (16" 205/55). The same tires in size 18" cost ~600 pounds (fitted). Assuming you need to swap tires winter/summer (12GBP*4 + 12GBP*4 = 96 quids), in 2 years with 400 pounds 18" tires you will be close to 600 pounds...

they seem to come out more expensive when i try do it :wall:

im getting more and more confused with the sizes and XL ratings as well as speed ratings :blush:

also on another note will i be able to use my wheelnuts for steel wheels or will i have to get some more?

I bought VAG steels from Skodaparts online (which is Bickerton Skoda, Sheffield) and they told me I could use my original wheelbolts. I got my tyres from Oponeo, for £90 a corner (bought 5 for a spare). The rolling circumference difference between the 18" and the 16" 205/55/R16s is small IIRC, about 1%, making very little difference to your speedo.

There's a lot more info over on the Winter Tyres thread in the Tyres forum too.

Personally I would check this again. I don't have personal experience of using steels on Skodas, but I do on land rovers and wheel nuts for steels are usually a completely different design to alloys with a conical face to enable them to centre the wheel.

Alloys have collars designed into wheel to mate with cylindrical tube design of alloy wheel nuts to centre.

Steels also need a higher torque rating to account for flex in wheel face, so this should be looked into too.

Just a word of caution to look at this again.

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

You need to inform Mr Insurance Man in you

a: Change Speed rating

b: change wheel size

c: fit "aftermarket" wheels

As these can all be classed as a modification.

Yes, you need XL rated tyres for a superb (to carry full-load)

No, you don't "need" V speed rating

This is why i use 225 40 18 Vredestine WintracXtreme's on Genuine Skoda rims.

No issues with insurance, or speed rating, or load rating, or looks, or traction either. - Yes, a little more expensive to buy, but this will be my third trouble-free winter with them.

Al.

• Like 1

Personally I would check this again. I don't have personal experience of using steels on Skodas, but I do on land rovers and wheel nuts for steels are usually a completely different design to alloys with a conical face to enable them to centre the wheel.

Alloys have collars designed into wheel to mate with cylindrical tube design of alloy wheel nuts to centre.

Steels also need a higher torque rating to account for flex in wheel face, so this should be looked into too.

Just a word of caution to look at this again.

cheers

this is what i thought seeing as steels are different to the alloys

although it may be the genuine steels do use the alloy nuts

i will check with the dealership on that count if i go with steels

Hi Folks,

You need to inform Mr Insurance Man in you

a: Change Speed rating

b: change wheel size

c: fit "aftermarket" wheels

As these can all be classed as a modification.

Yes, you need XL rated tyres for a superb (to carry full-load)

No, you don't "need" V speed rating

This is why i use 225 40 18 Vredestine WintracXtreme's on Genuine Skoda rims.

No issues with insurance, or speed rating, or load rating, or looks, or traction either. - Yes, a little more expensive to buy, but this will be my third trouble-free winter with them.

Al.

i have managed to source some genuine Superb II 16" alloy wheels for around £200

i will be talking to my insurance today as to what they do and dont allow just to clarify matters

i can go original size but will see what they say

thanks for the help guys

I've had confirmation from three separate reliable sources that the wheel bolts are the same for genuine VAG steel wheels.

This is why I paid a fraction more for them rather than My Tyres steels - which may also be fine - and I've had a satisfactory winter out of mine.