Xenon headlight washers

Hi

Recently picked up a 57 plate Octavia estate which I am very pleased with. I have a quick question reference the xenon headlights thou. I was under the impression that these had to,by law,have headlight washers.

I have a rectangular plastic plate under the lights where I imagine the washers would live but I can't seem to get them to operate in any way.

Could anyone confirm if the xenons do indeed need washers by law and if so how do they normally operate.

Many thanks.

Richie.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

They should operate by law and lighting type approvals.

Their frequency of operation however may differ from car to car.

Normally with the headlights switched on, the headlight washers will operate with every 3rd (ish) operation of the normal windscreen washers.

Test it out

I may be wrong but I think that they only work every 5th or 10th time you operate the screen washer too. I hate the bloody things so usually wait until I'm stopped, turn my headlights off and then wash the windscreen if it needs it :giggle:

Beaten to it, but at least I was right :D

Edited by alkip

Not all Octavia's that have headlight washers have xenon headlights.

The Elegance and Scout get headlight washers as standard but xenon headlights are still an extra cost option.

Thanks a lot for the quick replies guys. Have tried the method stated and no joy but have had a thought that maybe the lights need to be in the 'on' position as opposed to the 'auto'. I normally leave mine on auto. Will give it a go with them switched to on.

If you still have no joy check the fuse.

The headlight washer caps often freeze to the bumper in the winter. When they try to operate (and can't) it pops the fuse.

Also some people don't like them (use too much screenwash) or covers their nice clean new car is screenwash, so pull the fuse in an effort to disable them.

Sorted. Fuse it was.

Thanks again the all the replies.

MOT didn't pick it up before I drove it away but others seem to be reporting this too.

Cheers.

Head light washers aren't tested on an MOT xenon's or not ,thees and other items introduced are suspended due to VOSA not giving test centers

clear guidance on how to test items, and in some cases which equipment to use.

Head light washers aren't tested on an MOT xenon's or not ,thees and other items introduced are suspended due to VOSA not giving test centers

clear guidance on how to test items, and in some cases which equipment to use.

Oh right. That explains it then. Thanks

And in winter, if they freeze to the bumper, if they don't pop the fuse then they snap off and fly into space, leaving you with a hole in the front bumper and a £5 + paint spray bill to replace them... Had 2 go on my Scout, always the o/s one, so now I check them on winter days before driving. A pain really.