1.2 TSI TIMING CHAIN recall!

nick hall

My June 2010 Yeti has just had its timing chain replaced after 30,000 miles but its always made a horrible noise on start up(especially when cold) It took a long time and a few years of complaining before Skoda admitted it was a recall issue. It took Skoda Fareham 3 attempts to change it! Needless to say i shall not be using this dealership out of warranty. If you have a 1.2 tsi and it makes any sort of rattle on start up get the timing chain replaced before your warranty runs out!!!

• Like 1

If its an actual recall then wont each of the car owners be notified or done when it next went in for a service (or any other sort of visit)? Or is is more simply a dealer bulletin?

• 1 month later...

Just to let other 1.2TSI owners know my car is booked in for a timing chain replacement in the next couple of weeks. It went in to the dealer yesterday after they suspected it was the alternator belt tensioner rather than the timing chain (as I had suggested after reading related posts on this forum!)

Hello Nick,

Just a question.

You wrote you wont be going to the specific dealership after the warranty is over.

In my country you can go into any VAG dealership nationwide,and they are comitted to make any repairs under warranty,regardless of where you purchased the vehicle,or who took care of it before.

Is it not the same in the UK?

If it is the same like here that you get nationwide service,why did you hang around with them in the first place?

Edited by oriki

I don't think it is a recall, but more of something that the service personnel check when the car comes in for service. I am not sure if the change is done to all cars of specific age, or only if they see symptoms of unhealthy cam chain. I have a Roomster 1.2 tsi that has been making a funny noise during cold starts, and when it went in for it's first maintenance at ~18000 miles the dealership notified me that this is an issue on my car, and that it will be fixed under warranty. Unfortunately for me the fix did not go OK, but the car started leaking oil after the chain change. The car was at the dealership on Monday (for fixing oil leak) and today I returned the car as the oil leak only increased after the "fix" on Monday. Let's see if they get it right this time.

So please check the oil level after this service - I was notified by a bong and a warning about check oil level in the MFD, and when I checked the dipstick there was no oil to be seen. This happened around 450 miles and 3 weeks after the service.

Edit: This does not affect only Yeti, but apparently all 1.2 TSI engines.

Edited by the_raz

• 4 weeks later...

I guess this fix has already a formal TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) by VAG. If someone has a copy of this TSB and can share with us it would be highly appreciated :happy:

Edited by menir1

I guess this fix has already a formal TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) by VAG. If someone has a copy of this TSB and can share with us it would be highly appreciated :happy:

Its doubtful, if someone did they would be in an awful lot of trouble if it was broadcast.

My Roomster is booked in for a timing chain replacement in the next couple of weeks. My warranty has run out a month ago (2 years period), but my shop has sent a mail to Skoda asking for a replacement under "good will" warranty. According to my mechanic, this is a known issue and he believe Skoda will cover for it.

• 1 month later...

The new Škoda Rapid includes the 1.2 TSI engine option too. I'm wondering, if it also inherited those same timing chain problems. An optimist would expect, that they were fixed, but for some reason Rapid's service interval is half of Octavia's interval... Could that be related?

• 2 weeks later...

My Yeti's (1.2 TSI, 2010, ¨60tkm) chain (+ accessories) has already been changed twice :whew:

The first time was on warranty and the second time on "a good will". The same reason at the both times, an ugly, rattling noise on some cold start-ups. Maintenance opened the motor and saw that the chain had stretched ... one can now only guess if this same operation is needed once again after the next 30tkm... :devil:

Edited by Asterion

• 1 year later...

The new Škoda Rapid includes the 1.2 TSI engine option too. I'm wondering, if it also inherited those same timing chain problems. An optimist would expect, that they were fixed, but for some reason Rapid's service interval is half of Octavia's interval... Could that be related?

I think you'll find it's because the Fabia and Rapid do not have the oil sensor.

This means they must be serviced every 10k miles or yearly.

The Superb, Octavia and Yeti have the oil sensor, so you can choose to have variable servicing with longer intervals if you do a lot of miles.

I wish i had read this item sooner I have the same problem and my warranty ran out one months ago, my dealer said they speak to Skoda HQ and see what they can do for me it sounds like a common problem.

It should be covered as a goodwill gesture.

In my opinion.

• Like 1

I think you'll find it's because the Fabia and Rapid do not have the oil sensor.

This means they must be serviced every 10k miles or yearly.

The Superb, Octavia and Yeti have the oil sensor, so you can choose to have variable servicing with longer intervals if you do a lot of miles.

Our WK46/12 Fabia 1.2TSI 86 can be run on fixed or variable service regimes, although we have opted for fixed as the car averages 8k a year.

There have been a number of updates to the engine over the years to eradicate some of the early 'teething troubles' and anything from WK45/12 should have just about all the main engine mods.

TP

• Like 1

Our WK46/12 Fabia 1.2TSI 86 can be run on fixed or variable service regimes, although we have opted for fixed as the car averages 8k a year.

There have been a number of updates to the engine over the years to eradicate some of the early 'teething troubles' and anything from WK45/12 should have just about all the main engine mods.

TP

That's interesting, I didn't know they'd added the oil sensor to the smaller models.

Depends which one; Octavia III is belt as it's a new design of engine

TP

OK, here is the Yeti 1.2TSi (chain drive)

First run today 60 miles @ 60mph on cruise control, average 39mpg

Edited by DonjSZ5

• 1 year later...

Chains and tensioners have both been troublesome on the 8v 1.2TSI, although more so the earlier production engines (09-12). Not sure the age/mileage of your car but I'd be pushing for Skoda to pick up the cost of repairs if you have a full Skoda service history and average miles.

TP

• Like 1

Funny that mine went in on Friday they said it was the chain quoted me £700 pounds. It a 11 plate and has a fsh with skoda only done 36987. So I'm in contact with SUK. To come to some sort of arrangement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got an issue with the timing chain on my 1.2 TSI Roomster (2011).

The dealer notified us that the timing chain was excessively noisy and would cost around £600 to fix. This was ‘an advisory’ and they couldn’t expand much on whether they would recommend getting it fixed or not.

The dealer had mentioned i may get a goodwill contribution for the fix from Skoda UK but it doesn’t look like that is going to happen after speaking to them myself.

The timing chain always seems to have been noisy and i’ve mentioned it at two services at least. This was done whilst the car was in warranty, so i’m a bit sceptical why they have brought up the issue in it’s first visit to the garage out of warranty.

I’ve spoken to Skoda UK and they didn’t recognise there to be any previous issues relating to the timing chain on 1.2 TSI engines or reimbursing customers for the cost of getting it fixed. This goes against what is being said on this thread and others http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/307716-skoda-yeti-12-tsi-and-famous-chain-rattle/

Is this something i can take to the ombudsman or is there just a discrepancy on how Skoda deals with individual customers on the same issue?

The consensus seems to be to get it replaced, as the engine could fail, is that correct?

Edited by CannyDrehver