Whoops - Got the Yeti stuck!

yetifabia

This one shows at least the front and rears turning and both rears seem to turn together but you'll see in the last few seconds that both rears are turning but the front wheel in view is not.

Maybe the EDS only operates in the rear. I have noticed the in all the videos the Yeti likes to lift the rear frequently but as the front is heavier, it will rock over on the both front wheels.

This one very clearly shows NO EDS at all.

I think I've seen "Zeus 3" handle on here some time. Maybe he can chime in.

Edited by Joel SHOEMARK

Just checking that you guys are picking up that it's going to be a hard wait for me, until Jan/Feb next year when mine arrives.

If it was here now, Id just go out and test it and post up a video with "Off Road Tech" on and off.

Happy Days.

I'm wondering if it's the differance in vehicles with "Off Road Tech" and those without. I have specified "Off Road Tech" ($790) on mine.

What is "Off road Tech"? I don't see any mention of that in the brochure - only "off road button" at £95.

Edited by Norry

What is "Off road Tech"? I don't see any mention of that in the brochure - only "off road button" at £95.

That's what it's called in Australia. I think they are just implying that you get more than just a button.

$790 was far too much for the option but they made up for it with dirt cheap other options. I think they just stuffed up on matching the pricing to the options.

Happy Days

That's what it's called in Australia. I think they are just implying that you get more than just a button.

$790 was far too much for the option but they made up for it with dirt cheap other options. I think they just stuffed up on matching the pricing to the options.

Happy Days

Sounds like ESP packaged with off road button?

Liked the vids. EDL on FWD can be very effective from experience, so it's interesting that you imply EDL may only be on the rear of the Yeti 4wd (or maybe the system switches traction either to both front sides or 1 front and rear?)...

Sounds like ESP packaged with off road button?

Liked the vids. EDL on FWD can be very effective from experience, so it's interesting that you imply EDL may only be on the rear of the Yeti 4wd (or maybe the system switches traction either to both front sides or 1 front and rear?)...

I know what you mean about EDL on FWD cars but I think the whole theory changes with 4WD vehicles. The moment the either front wheel spins (loses traction), applying power to the opposite front wheel will likely cause it to spin too. If this was in a turning situation, both front wheels spinning would cause under steer so this is counteracted with traction control which would either/both kill engine power or lightly apply brakes. However with the availability of driving the rear wheels, when traction is lost in either front wheel, it's better to cause more power to go to the rear wheels, as under acceleration, this is where the weight will transfer to. With the Haldex 4Th generation this transfer of power will take 1/7 of a rotation of wheel to engage.

From what I see in the videos the ability for the Yeti to drive both left an right wheels is only in the rear and not in the front. As we expect both the front and rear diffs are standard open diffs the only way this can happen is via braking the opposing spinning wheel. I presume this is part of the stability control program, not a limitation of the mechanics of the vehicle.

What I am proposing is when the vehicle is in normal mode the stability program operates to keep the vehicle travelling in the direction indicated by the steering wheel. With the traction available on normal road surfaces, there is little need to apply brakes and provide a EDL. Once the "Off road button" is activated the vehicle expects a slippery surface and simply causing power to go from the front to the rear of the vehicle would not likely be enough to restore traction so the system goes one step further to provide, amongst other things, a EDL.

Have a read of the description of EDL on numbered page 103 (actual page 104) of the electronic version of the Yeti owner's manual here. As ever with the Yeti manual it needs a bit of interpretation but it does say: "EDL is activated earlier in the OFF ROAD mode than in the normal mode. The brake pressure builds up more quickly on the faster moving wheel, on one axle, as well as diagonally." (Note that on the preceding page it also states that EDL is part of ESC - the new name for ESP - ie you don't need the Off-road button to get EDL.)

The Off-road button as an option on its own is now listed at £105 in the UK. For AU$790 I would expect that you would at least get the rough road package (which doesn't seem to be offered as a separate option in Australia) as well - but the cost would still be out of whack with UK prices.

Edited by ejstubbs

So if the Yeti has EDL even with out "Off Road Button/Tech", why are these Yeti getting stuck with diagonally oposed wheels off the ground?

Don't know, but I can envisage two possibilities, if not three:

1) The user manual says: "If one of the wheels starts to spin, the EDL system brakes the spinning wheel and transfers the driving force to the other wheels." [Emphasis is mine.] So maybe it can't handle more than one wheel spinning.

2) The "as well as diagonally" wording is in the section about EDL with the Off-road button. Maybe it can't handle the diagonal case without the Off-road button?

3) User error: as suggested in earlier posts, you have to keep on the throttle to allow the electronic systems to do their job. Lift off, as would be the instinctive reaction of many people when they realise that they are losing traction, and the systems can't do their job properly.

(BTW there are some video clips on this thread of Briskoda Yeti owners negotiating some reasonably lumpy off-road terrain, and there are quite a few which do show the EDL working well on a dangling rear wheel.)

Don't know, but I can envisage two possibilities, if not three:

1) The user manual says: "If one of the wheels starts to spin, the EDL system brakes the spinning wheel and transfers the driving force to the other wheels." [Emphasis is mine.] So maybe it can't handle more than one wheel spinning.

I think this is very probably the case. Looking at the same sentence in the German version of the manual (which may perhaps be more competently translated than the English version), it says that the electronic differential 'verhindert das Durchdrehen eines

einzelnen Rades', that is, it stops a single (or individual) wheel spinning.

2) The "as well as diagonally" wording is in the section about EDL with the Off-road button. Maybe it can't handle the diagonal case without the Off-road button?

That is certainly a likely meaning. The German manual sheds no more light, but is at least consistent with your interpretation.

All this speculation could be settled if someone would put the Yeti on a set of rollers.

In your UK Yeti brochure on the 'off-road' page it says.

"4x4 system

The latest generation 4x4 system helps you maintain control and stability at all times.

The system senses what is happening on each wheel and quickly transfers power or automatically applies brakes when needed to give more grip or drive to keep you on your chosen path"

ASR off-road

>Improves acceleration on slippery surfaces.

>ASR is set tom manage a higher slippage on the driving wheels

> Helps maintain driver control and vehicle stability.

EDL off-road

>Maintain permanent traction of the car

>Can work diagonally across axles

>Brakes the slipping wheels.

>Helps maintain driver control and vehicle stability.

Now in the Glossary page 34

it says.

"EDL

The electronic differential lock

continually compares the rpm of

the drive wheels, and if it identifies a

difference between them which could

lead to an individual wheel spinning,

for example if the two wheels are on different types of surface or accelerating on wet leaves,

the system brakes the wheel affected untill uniform rpm of all wheels is restored.

?? Well we know that EDL does that on front wheel drive,

so if Drive is to the Front and rear,

is it as said, Drive Wheels at Front And Back or EDL only on the front wheels?

Reads to me as tho its all drive wheels with EDL.

george