Amundsen sat nav features ?

Stagger

Hi all,

Ordered a Fabia Greenline yesterday and have decided to stretch my budget and get the Amundsen sat nav. Please can someone tell me what the model number of the current Amundsen is in the uk (is it rns310 or rns315) etc. Also, what features are on the latest incarnation of the Amundsen. Very difficult to be sure as each country seems to have slightly different specs. For instance, does it have DAB radio? I guess not but some websites seem to indicate it does. Are people who have opted for it recently generally happy with it? Can not afford the Bluetooth installation at the moment but how expensive is it to have it fitted at a later date?

Thanks for your time, your opinions and comment are valued.

Regards

Malcolm

I have admunsen but no bluetooth and felt i didnt need it. However its probably best factory fitted, can you stretch the budget a little more...

As for DAB beleive this has been done before and hopefully I am right in saying none of the UK fabias even have the option of DAB.

We're finding on the Octavia Blackline thread that the RNS315 is coming with Bluetooth but that it just needs a activating via VCDS. Not sure if that's the case with the Fabia. Don't see why not given they're exactly the same head unit.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my new Fabia Elegance 105 DSG with extra add-ons MDI interface and Amundsen+. Sound quality sounds a bit rough and slightly distorted/overloading (?) on all sources, and, although the booklet says it has DAB, Surround Sound and extra Preset EQ settings, none of these are present on my unit. Also, playing the iPod via the MDI I get the stereo image swapping over at random times.

Anyone else share my views? How disappointing!

• 1 month later...

Hopefully success ! After a few emails and phone calls to Skoda UK, and tracking down the Fabia 'Build your Own' Car Configurator which has been temporarily taken off the Skoda UK website; I have had it confirmed that by ordering the Amundsen + Sat Nav I do get Maxidot included. Got it in writing now (see below) so will be miffed if it turns up without !

Hopefully only a month to go now before delivery :-)

Cheers

Malcolm

Reference: SD-2012/11-006774

Dear Mr Stagg

Following our recent telephone conversation, please accept this email as confirmation of the options included in your vehicle

order.

After discussing the specifics of your order with Head Office, I can confirm your ŠKODA Fabia Greenline does include the

Amundsen plus unit with Maxi Dot.

I hope you enjoy the vehicle once you have taken delivery, and have many years of reliability, safety and comfort.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for allowing me to investigate your concerns.

Kind regards

Charlotte Wormald, Customer Relations Manager

ŠKODA UK | Selectapost 34 | Sheffield | S97 3FA

Tel: +44 (0)845 7745745 | fax: +44 (0)844 8267855

[email protected] | www.skoda.co.uk | www.skoda-auto.com

Hi,

Please make sure that your dealer follows this up for you closer to the build date. I ordered the Amundusen + and like you I rang Skoda uk regarding the maxidot and was told it was included, my supplying dealer did the same to back up what I told him.

Guess what car turned up last week no maxidot fitted.

I was given two options order a new car and have another 2 to 3 month wait or have the dealer fit the maxi for me.

opted for the dealer fit and must admit they have done a A1 job and looked after me really well.

Just waiting for my plate transfer so possiable pick up in 1 to 2 weeks

Just took delivery of vRS180 wk 45 build with Amundsen+ fitted. It does not have DAB even though the on-line handbook says it does. Maxi-Dot is standard on vRS so don't know if its part of the Amundsen+ package.

My exchange car was also vRS180 with the Amundsen fitted but it only had 5 digit postcode search where new unit does the more useful 7.

• 5 weeks later...

Oh well! Just took delivery of my Fabia Greenline and guess what, despite Skoda Uk and dealer saying maxidot would be fitted along with the Amundsen, guess what? No maxidot luckily I have emails from Skoda uk telling me that it is included so dealer now getting permission to fit it. Hopefully will go as well as Samsfab fitting!

The diagnostic machine used by Skoda Technicians

Isn't VCDS the new name for Vag.com made by Ross-Tech which is something we call all use (i had it for my S3 back in the day and will be getting again for the VRS)

I've held off on Amundsen, and will pick up a DAB Columbus or Kenwood at some point in the next 4 months and fit myself.

Edited by MisterS3

• 2 months later...

will this sat nav fit the fabia ll Monte Carlo http://www.carcommunications.co.uk/fiscon-volkswagen-bluetooth-handsfree-vw-rns-315-skoda-amundsen-38099

does this head unit have bluetooth built in so i can pair my phone to it. or do i still need a skoda bluetooth GSM kit or say a parrot kit.

Oh well! Just took delivery of my Fabia Greenline and guess what, despite Skoda Uk and dealer saying maxidot would be fitted along with the Amundsen, guess what? No maxidot luckily I have emails from Skoda uk telling me that it is included so dealer now getting permission to fit it. Hopefully will go as well as Samsfab fitting!

Hope you had more luck than me, On line configurator and customer services confirmed that my Vrs has front fog lights and auto lights prior to my order, but they are not. Caused big rumpus with factory as neither were they prepared to retro fit. Settled for 2 free services now, but should have gone to court for breach of contract. Amazing that Monte-Carlo has the front fogs and no Fabia in UK has auto lights. Where do they get the specs from?

Hope you had more luck than me, On line configurator and customer services confirmed that my Vrs has front fog lights and auto lights prior to my order, but they are not. Caused big rumpus with factory as neither were they prepared to retro fit. Settled for 2 free services now, but should have gone to court for breach of contract. Amazing that Monte-Carlo has the front fogs and no Fabia in UK has auto lights. Where do they get the specs from?

Had no luck getting maxidot retro-fitted. Skoda said was impossible. Had the in car dvd system as compensation. It's very nice and the kids are pleased, but still wish i had my maxidot :-(

Had no luck getting maxidot retro-fitted. Skoda said was impossible. Had the in car dvd system as compensation. It's very nice and the kids are pleased, but still wish i had my maxidot :-(

Can i ask which car dvd system it is?

Can i ask which car dvd system it is?

It was the Nextbase click and go 9 Duo lite. Very nice screens that click on and of the brackets installed on the headrests. Cables go to the brackets only so trailing leads are at a minimum. Has 2 screens and can play from dvd, usb stick or composite input. Comes with nice storage bag so really quick and easy to put in and remove.

• 1 month later...

Just got my new Fabia Elegance 105 DSG with extra add-ons MDI interface and Amundsen+. Sound quality sounds a bit rough and slightly distorted/overloading (?) on all sources, and, although the booklet says it has DAB, Surround Sound and extra Preset EQ settings, none of these are present on my unit. Also, playing the iPod via the MDI I get the stereo image swapping over at random times.

Anyone else share my views? How disappointing!

I have the same issue with no Surround and/or EQ settings... Anyone know why this is?? Bit frustrating!

I have the same issue with no Surround and/or EQ settings... Anyone know why this is?? Bit frustrating!

Apparently it says in the manual:

"Explanation of symbols

* items of equipment which are marked in such a way are only installed as standard

on certain models or are supplied as special equipment...."

.....But whats the point in having a "PLUS" stereo without certain options?!